The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Pro-Gear Purple Cosmos- First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:43

The two are far to different (especially with the sailor being a broad nib) to compare. Its like the difference between a Ferrari and a yacht really.

Yes, you are right! :)

I meant, more, subjective feelings you are experiencing writing Falcon and  Sailor - comparison of these feelings...

PS. Which one is aFerrari, which one is a yacht?  B)

Edited by Nikaa, 07 November 2017 - 07:43.

Sponsored Content

#22 Shaggy

Shaggy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:18

Gorgeous! Choirs of angels sing.

I find this to be the perfect pen for me to use unposted, but I have to get the toothy nibs smoothed.

#23 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 15:03

Yes, you are right! :)

I meant, more, subjective feelings you are experiencing writing Falcon and  Sailor - comparison of these feelings...

PS. Which one is aFerrari, which one is a yacht?  B)

Well obviously, the Sailor is the yacht. ;)

I really can't compare them. They're both fantastic pens, both write and fit my hand like they were made for me. Between the two of them they could easily be the only pens I ever use and I'd be happy with that- but they both serve different purposes.

#24 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 17:04

Update: the more I use this pen (actually, it's been my #1 pen since it arrived on Saturday) the more I like this "footed" be nib. I don't know WHY I like it more than round B nibs, but I do. It took about a day to get used to it and I've had no more angle related difficulties and it's smooth as a nicely worn lead pencil.

#25 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:46

Update: the more I use this pen (actually, it's been my #1 pen since it arrived on Saturday) the more I like this "footed" be nib. I don't know WHY I like it more than round B nibs, but I do. It took about a day to get used to it and I've had no more angle related difficulties and it's smooth as a nicely worn lead pencil.

Great! :)

So it may not be your only Sailor :P (in future...)

Edited by Nikaa, 09 November 2017 - 23:31.

#26 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 14:09

Great! :)

So it may not be your only Sailor: P (in future...)

I've already ordered another... *hides in shame*

#27 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 23:31

I've already ordered another... *hides in shame*

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Which one? :)

#28 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 23:44

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Which one? :)

Black and rhodium fine point. :)

The shape and size of these pro gear slims is perfect for me both posted and unposted.

#29 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:26

I have a plain black Pro Gear and love it. Never had a problem with a sweet spot or feedback. It's one of the smoother writing pens in my collection.

#30 coppilcus

coppilcus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:41

I don’t like any kind of bling at all, not even the tinniest bit of it, not even when it’s done with class...

But I’ll have to re-evaluate my taste standards thanks to this Sailor!

Amazingly done! Such as a few examples done by Nakaya with his Raden pens...

#31 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 977 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 23:05

Today is my birthday, and I've just inked up a new Sailor Pro Gear Slim!  

It's a fine point and writes very smoothly.  I was prepared to have to adjust to the "footed nib," but either that feature of the tipping isn't as evident on a fine point or I just happen to hold the pen at a good angle for cursive.

In any case, I am delighted.  I knew it would be a smallish pen but didn't realize it is almost exactly the same size as my Prera and Duofold Junior.

#32 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 23:31

Today is my birthday, and I've just inked up a new Sailor Pro Gear Slim!  

It's a fine point and writes very smoothly.  I was prepared to have to adjust to the "footed nib," but either that feature of the tipping isn't as evident on a fine point or I just happen to hold the pen at a good angle for cursive.

In any case, I am delighted.  I knew it would be a smallish pen but didn't realize it is almost exactly the same size as my Prera and Duofold Junior.

The footed nib really isn't a thing with the finer nibs.

Mine arrived today also and I love it!

#33 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 15:49

Update: this is still the pen that I cannot put down- and it's fine nibbed cousin is a dream as well.

Unfortunately for my bank account, I have decided to start collecting Sailors. These Pro Gear Slims fit my hand and write like they were made for me. The cool thing is they work just as well posted as unposted, which is great for writing a quick note.

Zoom nib or Music Nib is next, I haven't decided.

#34 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 18:29

I'm half expecting to go to my pen club meeting tomorrow night and find that a friend of mine has one.  He is in the hunt to collect every Sailor model ever made.  And well, it's purple....  B)  I suspect that Karl and I would end up fighting over who got to have pretty much every purple pen on the market first....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#35 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 18:42

I'm half expecting to go to my pen club meeting tomorrow night and find that a friend of mine has one.  He is in the hunt to collect every Sailor model ever made.  And well, it's purple....  B)  I suspect that Karl and I would end up fighting over who got to have pretty much every purple pen on the market first....

I hope he does, you just have to see it in person. 

#36 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 21:09

Perhaps the best impression of this pen could be found in the most current "Anderson Pens Video Podcast # 249," when Mr & Mrs Anderson open the talk with "show & tell" of their respective pens.  Their enthusiasm is contagious; they report the pens "came in & WENT out!  But they are both REALLY excited about their pens, which they both have with them to share.

(I swear, I believe they like these pens even MORE than they liked "that Esterbrook BOX.")

#37 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:31

(I swear, I believe they like these pens even MORE than they liked "that Esterbrook BOX.")

:lticaptd:

Now I'm definitely going to have to check that blogpost....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#38 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 21:55

Update: this is still the pen that I cannot put down- and it's fine nibbed cousin is a dream as well.

Unfortunately for my bank account, I have decided to start collecting Sailors. These Pro Gear Slims fit my hand and write like they were made for me. The cool thing is they work just as well posted as unposted, which is great for writing a quick note.

Zoom nib or Music Nib is next, I haven't decided.

Good decision   :D

For me  it's tempting also, to start collecting collector Sailor's fp (I already have two) - especially Pro gear... ;)

#39 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:39

Good decision   :D

For me  it's tempting also, to start collecting collector Sailor's fp (I already have two) - especially Pro gear... ;)

I keep going back to the Persimmon Pro Gear Slim... I'm thinking Zoom nib next.

#40 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:21

Update: how long has it been? This is still my Most Used Pen. If I don't pick it up at least once a day I'm sad. I've lost track of how many refill.

Currently inked with Iroshuzuku Ajisai. It seems to like the wetter Iroshuzuku inks better then the Sailor ink.

Sponsored Content

|