The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Pro-Gear Purple Cosmos- First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 00:47

This is a limited edition Sailor that I managed to pre-order a few months ago from Andy's Pens in the UK (Shout out to Andy, absolutely fantastic customer service and communicated the whole way when the pens were expected.) I had stumbled across a LE Sailor that I missed out on (Starburst Galaxy) and I really regretted missing out on it- someone got their hands on one early and posted it on a FB group, the second I saw it I frantically googled and ordered one from the only place I found that had them without even realizing it was a pre-order (I was admittedly hung over and... OMG GLITTER SQUEE TAKE MY MONEY NOW!)

This also happens to be my first Sailor, so this is my first impression review (this is a Broad nib)-

~ This pen is absolutely stunning!

~ The nib is unique, almost triangular. It seems to have a small sweet spot and prefer a low writing angle. It will write differently depending on the angle it's held, but it doesn't do this well or easily, so save it for those times when you REALLY need to write horribly small (It does well enough small even held normally, if print is used.)

~ I see why the famous Sailor feedback is controversial. I happen to enjoy it.

(Edit- sorry about the crappy color on the handwritten photo- good thing this isn't an ink review!)

BTmRQqy.jpg

TK26yUh.jpg

1DYTJL9.jpg

vLmnh4C.jpg

Edited by KellyMcJ, 05 November 2017 - 00:51.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,011 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:52

I havent seen this one before but I like it.

#3 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 14:28

The more I use this pen, the more I like it!!! That strangely footed nib took a little getting used to, but not much. I'm finding my other pens are neglected now.

#4 Olya

Olya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 15:03

It's absolutely gorgeous! A really stunning finish, and good pics too!

It'd be nice if Sailor spruced up their regular collection with beauties, like their LEs & SEs. Though looks like they're at it...

Do you have other Sailors? How do you enjoy their B compared to their other nibs? Thinking about possibly getting a B in the future, I have their F, MF & M. I enjoy Platinum's B massively, even though I find it too broad, but it feels amazing. I do know that Sailor's B is the slimmest (compared to Platinum & Pilot), which fits me perfectly. I remember once, longish ago, writing with their B and it was slimmer than Pelikan's M, but I forgot how it felt (esp compared to Sailor's M..).

#5 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 16:27

It's absolutely gorgeous! A really stunning finish, and good pics too!

It'd be nice if Sailor spruced up their regular collection with beauties, like their LEs & SEs. Though looks like they're at it...

Do you have other Sailors? How do you enjoy their B compared to their other nibs? Thinking about possibly getting a B in the future, I have their F, MF & M. I enjoy Platinum's B massively, even though I find it too broad, but it feels amazing. I do know that Sailor's B is the slimmest (compared to Platinum & Pilot), which fits me perfectly. I remember once, longish ago, writing with their B and it was slimmer than Pelikan's M, but I forgot how it felt (esp compared to Sailor's M..).

This is actually my first Sailor. I would recommend getting their broad, I love it. However, it is clearly a "footed" nib, which some people really don't like (search here for reviews and thoughts on the Sailor Broad.) It has a small sweet spot and isn't really tolerant to nib rotation. This isn't a problem for me. It writes like my Jowo M but isn't as forgiving in terms of rotation.

#6 Olya

Olya

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 16:33

This is actually my first Sailor. I would recommend getting their broad, I love it. However, it is clearly a "footed" nib, which some people really don't like (search here for reviews and thoughts on the Sailor Broad.) It has a small sweet spot and isn't really tolerant to nib rotation. This isn't a problem for me. It writes like my Jowo M but isn't as forgiving in terms of rotation.

Thank you!

#7 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 971 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 16:57

I read somewhere that the shape of the tipping is to facilitate producing Japanese characters, which have several stroke types difficult to achieve with the rounded tipping on Western nibs.  

#8 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 17:26

I read somewhere that the shape of the tipping is to facilitate producing Japanese characters, which have several stroke types difficult to achieve with the rounded tipping on Western nibs.  

This makes perfect sense to me. I'm betting that's it. It's something to be aware of, as they are WONDERFUL nibs but may not suit your writing style (they suit mine, just took me a little bit to adjust.)

#9 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 18:45

Oh my god that finish looks gorgeous.  :yikes:

Straightening my handwriting with blank paper.

#10 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 19:20

Oh my god that finish looks gorgeous.  :yikes:

I can't get a good pic of it for the life of me. It's stunning!

#11 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 20:31

Congratulations!!

I have also  Sailor Purple Cosmos and I understand why you like it so much :) I experience the same story... I couldn't buy Stardust (it was too late ...) , I was waiting for next 'cosmos' edition', finally buy it in pre-order also from Andy :)

I have H-M nib. And I love it! I love this pen so so much, really. Shape, weight, how it looks. It's a little shiny, the 'cosmic'pieces/ cosmic dust are silver or gold... just wow! And the nib. Love it :)

I have already Sailot 1911 Standard, gold finish with H-M.  I've used it for a year, the nib leaves a broader line. Surely with time the nib was adapt. I think, at the beggining, the nib (in the gold finish) was, however, a bit wider. Maybe it's just my subjective impression. I will make a comparison and upload pictures if anyone would be interested.

PS.  "You said: "I see why the famous Sailor feedback is controversial. I happen to enjoy it". - I feel the same :D

Here writing sample on cheap xero paper...

iIzDj5Xh.jpg

3V7Cvtxh.jpg

Edited by Nikaa, 06 November 2017 - 20:34.

#12 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 21:08

Great photos Nikaa! That medium looks great also. I notice my broad performs far better than expected on cheap paper - as well as or better than my Falcon SF! Is this normal for Sailors?

#13 Nikaa

Nikaa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 21:37

Well... I think so ;)
I can't compare, so far, with Falcon - I don't Have... But I'm thinking about buying SF ;)
Could you compare these to? How you describe the differences between Sailor nib and Falcon? I adore Sailor nib... And still not sure if Falcon will good for me (I tried SM...it was ok but to broad for me). Which one you prefer?

#14 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 22:10

Wow! Gorgeous pen!

#15 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 22:13

Well... I think so ;)
I can't compare, so far, with Falcon - I don't Have... But I'm thinking about buying SF ;)
Could you compare these to? How you describe the differences between Sailor nib and Falcon? I adore Sailor nib... And still not sure if Falcon will good for me (I tried SM...it was ok but to broad for me). Which one you prefer?

The two are far to different (especially with the sailor being a broad nib) to compare. Its like the difference between a Ferrari and a yacht really.

#16 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 22:27

Wow, what a beautiful pen.  Sadly, I can't afford one.  :(  I just looked up the specs and that would be a good size and weight for my hand.  So, another pen to add to the wish list.  Sigh....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#17 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 22:43

Wow, what a beautiful pen.  Sadly, I can't afford one.  :(  I just looked up the specs and that would be a good size and weight for my hand.  So, another pen to add to the wish list.  Sigh....
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Unfortunately this one is limited edition :( I think they only made 800 or so.

The pro gear slim is fantastic. It fits my hand perfectly. So well it may as well be custom...

#18 jarodzz

jarodzz

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 23:08

Wonderful post.

I agree with you 100%.

I have 2 Sailor, 14K and 21K, and always wander that why no one mentions sweet spots of the Nibs. I happen to not like them, therefore prefer Pilots.

#19 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,124 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 23:27

It's a beautiful pen and I love the appearance.  Unfortunately it's a bit small for my taste, otherwise I'd have one in my hand for sure!

Nice pictures!

Did you perhaps get a zoom nib, which is made to provide line width varation at different angles?

#20 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 23:37

It's a beautiful pen and I love the appearance.  Unfortunately it's a bit small for my taste, otherwise I'd have one in my hand for sure!

Nice pictures!

Did you perhaps get a zoom nib, which is made to provide line width varation at different angles?

No, it's a broad. I considered a Zoom but I thought broad was a safer bet for my first Sailor. Zoom is on my wish list though. It seems like a fun nib.

Sponsored Content

|