Delike Brass Pen Long Term Review

Honeybadgers

This review inspired me to order the pen, albeit with the standard EF nib. After using it for ten days, I find myself liking it more and more. It's heavy and kind of ugly, to be frank, but the nib glides like a dream, and my hand just loves writing with it. An excellent point for marking and other fiddly little jobs.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• truthpil

• txomsy

• sdbruder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I already had the brass version, I just ordered the fine/fude nib duo and a chrome version. I’m intrigued to find out how the fude/architect nib writes. Here’s hoping it arrives before Christmas!

I noticed there's a new model released with "more metal parts" and comes in a very kaweco knockoff box. I'm not sure what "more metal" means, but I ordered one and will report back with any differences.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

This review inspired me to order the pen, albeit with the standard EF nib. After using it for ten days, I find myself liking it more and more. It's heavy and kind of ugly, to be frank, but the nib glides like a dream, and my hand just loves writing with it. An excellent point for marking and other fiddly little jobs.

It's more quirky than ugly. Think of it as more of an industrial design than a "pretty" one and it makes more sense.

Spend the $7 on a bent nib. You will. not. regret it!

One of the things I think I am so infatuated with after getting a custom ground, super crisp architect nib from FPnibs, is that it's a -forgiving- architect nib. it's got a slightly rounded profile, so you aren't going to get the super crisp cross line like a real architect nib, but it makes it happy to write at almost any angle, which kind of makes it an architect nib for anybody's hand, whereas a "true" architect grind is INCREDIBLY sensitive to the angle it's held at.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I noticed there's a new model released with "more metal parts" and comes in a very kaweco knockoff box. I'm not sure what "more metal" means, but I ordered one and will report back with any differences.

Is that the one in the blue tin box? That's the one I got, solid chunk of metal haha. It's a great writer for sure, but that Platinum-inspired converter still has issues.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

It's more quirky than ugly. Think of it as more of an industrial design than a "pretty" one and it makes more sense.

Spend the $7 on a bent nib. You will. not. regret it!

One of the things I think I am so infatuated with after getting a custom ground, super crisp architect nib from FPnibs, is that it's a -forgiving- architect nib. it's got a slightly rounded profile, so you aren't going to get the super crisp cross line like a real architect nib, but it makes it happy to write at almost any angle, which kind of makes it an architect nib for anybody's hand, whereas a "true" architect grind is INCREDIBLY sensitive to the angle it's held at.

I used this same bent nib unit in a Delike New Moon 2 (a much prettier pen than the Alpha) for my EDC this past week. It's really nice that the Delike nib units can be swapped between all their pens! Although it isn't "buttery" smooth, the feedback is slight and not a problem and it's a lot of fun to write with. I particularly like how I can change the width of the line just by changing writing angle. It writes a good Fine when approaching 90 degrees and a good Broad or Double Broad line around 30 degrees to the paper. One big surprise for me is that you can use the reverse side of the nib (the tip that is bent up) as a really nice needlepoint! I think it's about as smooth a needlepoint as you can get. I wrote some microscopic writing in my planner and was amazed that it didn't catch once on the paper, a real bonus if you need to write in a tiny space.

Flow is also excellent. I used one of my drier inks (Iroshizuku Syo-Ro) which hasn't even worked in some of my pens because it can be too dry. The Delike nib had no issues with the ink, perfect start up every time and a nice, juicy line. Even when writing with the reverse side of the nib, the ink flowed fine.

A great and fun nib to be sure! And if you don't like the Alpha's utilitarian looks (or the weight), it also comes in the New Moon 2 and Moonman wooden pen.

Edited by TruthPil

Interesting, do you have a link to the listing?

The only parts I could think of that arent already metal would be the plastic cap threads, assuming they havent made a metal converter or something silly like that.

I'm not sure I even would want metal cap threads. The cap is wonderful as is.

The listings with the pen shown in a kaweco metal box are the new model.

I'm not sure I even would want metal cap threads. The cap is wonderful as is.

The listings with the pen shown in a kaweco metal box are the new model.

Honestly, agreed; I imagine metal threads might not seal/stay on as well.

I haven't seen anything in those listings about having new metal though, so that's good. AFAIK they came out with the new color options?

EDIT: never mind, I see what you mean. "The updated Alpha Delike adds more metal parts, For example: the trailing metal parts of ink absorption and the metal parts of the absorber are connected by thread." Sounds like they're talking about the converter, maybe? IDK.

Edited by Lchu613

I sure don't know, haha. That's a terrible google translator listing.

Still, I ordered mine and will see what's different as I already have a standard one. Apart from improving the converter (I still don't know if mine was just a fluke, I did quite like the overall platinum design, it was smooth and serviceable) I honestly don't know what they could do to make me like this pen more

The laquer is starting to wear down in places as I abuse this pen, and it's really developing a lovely patina.

There aren't any new colors, it's just the same silver and brass. I'm sticking with the brass.

I sure don't know, haha. That's a terrible google translator listing.

Still, I ordered mine and will see what's different as I already have a standard one. Apart from improving the converter (I still don't know if mine was just a fluke, I did quite like the overall platinum design, it was smooth and serviceable) I honestly don't know what they could do to make me like this pen more

The laquer is starting to wear down in places as I abuse this pen, and it's really developing a lovely patina.

There aren't any new colors, it's just the same silver and brass. I'm sticking with the brass.

Here in China there are four options for the finish: the original lacquered brass with that cheezy "aged" look, a brushed/matte brass, lacquered chrome, and brushed/matte chrome. The lacquered brass version is the original and the cheapest.

Has anyone used this pen as an EDC in their pants pocket all day? I'm tempted to try it out this week, but it would be really embarrassing to have inky pants in the midst of lecturing.

It absolutely doesn't come unscrewed. Some of the acrylic pens can be a little more prone to unscrewing themselves, but this thing stays put.

It does have the kaweco problem of sometimes sliding out of its clip into your pocket, but it never unscrews.

That's great to hear!

I've heard of people sort of crimping the clip to make it stay put better, maybe that will help as well.

The clip on mine is really tight, so I wonder if they fixed the problem. I ended up not pocketing the pen out of fear the clip would scratch my phone. I often put a Kaweco classic in my pocket but it is in a little leather sheath.

That's great to hear!

I've heard of people sort of crimping the clip to make it stay put better, maybe that will help as well.

Already did and I haven't noticed it often, but it's still slippery metal on metal and if you press down on the top of the pen while it's in your pocket, it will slide down.

Still, I just decided to slide it into my pocket as if i took the clip off when I take it in my jeans, and in my uniform breast pocket it NEVER comes loose from the clip.

The clip on mine is really tight, so I wonder if they fixed the problem. I ended up not pocketing the pen out of fear the clip would scratch my phone. I often put a Kaweco classic in my pocket but it is in a little leather sheath.

Easier solution - never put anything in a phone pocket :D My wallet pocket is getting crowded these days with my wallet, flashlight, pen and small pocket knife.

Beware of the converter that comes with these pens! Both Delike converters I have leaked on the first use! The converter on my New Moon 2 leaked around the place where the metal ring surrounds the bottom of the converter. There is even a little piece of plastic or glue sticking out the contact point with the ring. Then today I thought I'd be brave and fill the Alpha with the infamous Baystate Blue for its first test run outside the house. Bad idea. When I unscrewed the section to check the ink level in the afternoon I ended up with bright blue fingers. The ink had leaked out of the converter into the barrel!! That's 2 for 2, I think it's safe to say these converters are junk. Other than that, the pen is nice and practical.