• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a vintage MB 220 with an OB nib with some flex. Wonderfull to write with ;) . I can post samples if wished. It gives a really nice line variation and is my 2nd preferred pen and nib. But nothing comes close to my vintage MB 144 fine flex nib.

We would love to see writing samples, and the pens as well!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

fpn_1520107851__purple_hyacinth_obbb.jpg

Purple Hyacinth OBBB

Oh thank you Tom! I'm definitely enjoying the promise of the coming Spring through your lovely pictures. It will be many days before we see these here. In fact, to no one's joy but Theo's, we had another inch of snow with our morning coffee today.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Oh thank you Tom! I'm definitely enjoying the promise of the coming Spring through your lovely pictures. It will be many days before we see these here. In fact, to no one's joy but Theo's, we had another inch of snow with our morning coffee today.

~ BillH:

Yours truly has twice driven through Idaho in snow, long, long ago. Very heavy in the Rupert and Burley area, and slippery-slidey around Nampa.

Ha! Zuji would certainly share Theo's joy at a snowfall.

The background truth is that the flowers in recent posts were forced bulb blooms in local greenhouses, placed downtown to welcome the Lunar New Year.

No matter, as local temperatures have risen above freezing, tree buds are resolving into fresh foliage, birds are singing with bell-like intensity.

Thank you so much for your very kind encouragement.

Tom K.

hey tom, et al,

I sent my Peggy Guggenhiem to Montblanc for a nib exchange. It is to become an OB or an OBB. lets see..

Thanks for the encouragement!

~ Reed_thoughts:

That's great news! As one who admires the PoA Peggy Guggenheim, whether OB or OBB it's sure to be a superb writer.

Such a lovely pen on the desk would be an inspiration to sketch, write, or doodle lazy curlicues.

I'm glad to know that you liked the purple hyacinth image. It was posted as an indirect tribute to Montblanc's Lavender Purple ink.

I'll be looking forward to someday seeing your Peggy Guggenheim with a special oblique nib of one dimension or another.

Tom K.

~ During the past few days I learned about steps in the design of certain pen models wherein a marked step-like shift occurs between the barrel and the grip area.

I’d asked Ghost Plane what she meant by ‘step’ which she kindly explained in a helpful reply. Never having knowingly encountered such steps they hadn’t been a consideration.

I say ‘knowingly’ because I’d handled a PoA Peggy Guggenheim in a Beijing boutique. It appears to have such a step as both the PoA Duke of Milan and the PoA Elizabeth I have.

Not being conscious of such distinctions, they hadn’t entered into any considerations of possible Montblanc fountain pen acquisitions.

Over the past few years it’s become apparent that I lack the refined discernment of many Montblanc collectors who post in the Montblanc Forum.

Their keen awareness of subtle distinctions in fountain pens is impressive, particularly as I’m without such cultivated taste. I learn from their posts about what I’ve overlooked.

There are several aspects of fountain pens which haven't ever been considerations when I write with or when I purchase a Montblanc fountain pen.

It may be that my taste is fairly rudimentary, without the judgment and appreciation of the finest aspects of well-crafted pens. If so, there’s much more to learn.

Following are several factors which haven’t yet interfered with my enjoyment of writing with Montblanc fountain pens.

Size

When writing I’ve never yet found any Montblanc pen to be awkward or unwieldy. Smaller models such as the Mozart or the vintage 24, 32 or 3-42 G pens are as comfortable in my fingers as the 149s I regularly use.

Weight

As I don’t have any metal fountain pens, my experience is limited. Those pens with which I write all are comfortable whether I’m seated at a desk, propped up with pillows on a sofa, or scrunched in an aircraft seat.

Cartridges

Although most of the Montblanc fountain pens on my desk are piston fillers or use a Montblanc converter, the Mozart cartridges aren’t any problem. I refill them with ease from ink bottles using a biological laboratory syringe.

Nibs

Every Montblanc nib on my desk writes very well, regardless of the dimensions, the presence of a touch of flex or not, or the age. None are wet writers. All write every time without any skipping or scratching.

There are several vintage 1950s and 1960s pens as well as recent models. They’ve all written equally well for me, with no perceptible difference in ink flow or comfort in the fingers.

Pre-owned

Half a dozen of the pens were pre-owned. There’s nothing of reduced quality while writing with them, as they’re equally as reliable as the more recent pens acquired from Montblanc boutiques.

Tarnishing & Plating Loss

While none of the recent model fountain pens have signs of tarnishing or plating loss, several of the vintage models do. That’s not in any way diminished my pleasure in writing with them.

Micro-scratches

All of the nibs, whether recent or vintage, have micro-scratches which are visible in high resolution macro photographs although otherwise imperceptible. Such micro-scratches haven’t affected writing in any way.

Perhaps with time and increased awareness, my feelings may shift on these factors. For the present, I’m more than satisfied with every one of the Montblanc fountain pens on my desk.

Tom K.

Tom - what one person my play off as refinement can easily be labeled as pickiness by another. These characteristics of the pen experience do matter to some and they are valid. However, when they are used to make judgements on the happiness of others is where I have a problem. We all have our preferences in life and pens. So far you have had the blessing of being open to variety and finding the beauty in each pen on its own merits.

What you may label as "rudimentary" I would class as accepting. Paired with your inquisitive nature (as displayed here on FPN), you have a recipe for finding joy wherever you shall look for it.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Tom - what one person my play off as refinement can easily be labeled as pickiness by another. These characteristics of the pen experience do matter to some and they are valid. However, when they are used to make judgements on the happiness of others is where I have a problem. We all have our preferences in life and pens. So far you have had the blessing of being open to variety and finding the beauty in each pen on its own merits.

What you may label as "rudimentary" I would class as accepting. Paired with your inquisitive nature (as displayed here on FPN), you have a recipe for finding joy wherever you shall look for it.

~ zaddick:

Thank you for your encouraging comment.
Living far from my native culture for decades, it’s been essential to bridle my impulses to adapt to an entirely different milieu.
When I first began working on the western side of the Pacific e-mail and Internet Web sites existed but were scarce.
There was nothing at all comparable to mobile platforms. How the norm has shifted with passing time.
At first I failed to recognize that acceptance doesn’t necessarily require agreement, but rather is predicated upon mutual tolerance and sensitivity to the rights and feelings of others.
Gradually I understood that there was much in life which simply wasn’t at all my business, and that being willing to “let it go” reduced frustration and heartache.
No matter the socio-political and domestic arrangements around the globe, there is considerable diversity even within nations, not to mention between different countries.
I’ve lived and worked in South America, Europe, North America, East Asia and Africa. Everywhere it was best practice to smile, step back, and appreciate alternative ways of living.
Coming later in life to fine writing instruments, I’ve enjoyed learning about the many variations which exist. They might not all be for me, but I recognize and appreciate their beauty.
For example, I asked myself if there were any current or recent Montblanc models which I might be reluctant to have on my desk.
After thought, I felt that the Bonheur pens didn’t fit with me. I do admire their design and don’t at all mind the pearl on the Marilyn Monroe clip. They’re just not me.
Nonetheless I’m glad that others acquire and write with them, as they’re well-crafted writing instruments.
What did Robert Louis Stevenson write in A Child’s Garden of Verses?
The World is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”
I feel likewise. Therefore the range of interests and pens presented and discussed in the FPN Montblanc Forum is enjoyable to see.
Tom K.

fpn_1520315192__three_nibs.jpg

Three Montblanc Nibs

90th Anniversary 149 BB — Johann Strauss Donation Pen M — 1967 24 EEF

Edited by Tom Kellie

Bespoke! How many Bs can Montblanc fit on a 149 nib? Can't wait to find out .....

I post here infrequently, but do love your pens, pen photography, and of course Zuji.

Oh frabjous joy, callou callay! (To borrow shamelessly from another author)

This is truly a day of marvels among our cloistered number.

Oh frabjous joy, callou callay! (To borrow shamelessly from another author)

This is truly a day of marvels among our cloistered number.

~ Ghost Plane:

Now there's a WE pen which would bring out the creativity of Hamburg fountain pen designers.

The Lewis Carroll WE, with a wide range of possible design elements, with a miniature looking glass among the favored options.

The exclusive 88 VIP edition offered to discerning connoisseurs in the Far East would feature the Red Queen in vibrant vermilion lacquer.

Tom K.

Bespoke! How many Bs can Montblanc fit on a 149 nib? Can't wait to find out .....

I post here infrequently, but do love your pens, pen photography, and of course Zuji.

~ empliau:

Zuji thanks you with a happily wagging tail for your friendly comment!

It's very kind of you to write such encouraging words.

As to any future Bespoke nibs with multiple Bs...please stay tuned.

Tom K.

Just sharing something from the morning. Written with Lavander Purple and a cursive italic oblique

also, Montblanc confirmed they will be fitting Peggy with an OBB nib. My first!

~ Reed_thoughts:

What a beautiful UNICEF pen cap and handwriting sample photograph.

I like the shadow and the overall composition.

How did the UNICEF pen come to have a terrific Cursive Italic Oblique nib?

The Montblanc Lavender Purple looks so crisp on the paper, showing the nib's excellence.

That's terrific news about the OBB nib on your PoA Peggy Guggenheim!

Thank you for such a nice post.

Tom K.