Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

fpn_1519182175__extra_extra_fine.jpg

Extra Extra Fine

~ FPN friends who’ve offered generous encouragement have had such a positive effect on my ongoing efforts to master fountain pen photography.

Barry Gabay, zaddick, Ghost Plane, Pravda and Cyrille have all been especially thoughtful in their warmly worded, positive comments.

Ever since the loss of my father eleven months ago, there’s been a poignant void within me, remembering happy events with my family, who are no longer here.

This morning I was very deeply moved by an image of the Queen of Denmark, Margrethe II, standing beside her heir and grandson, Prince Christian.

The conflicting emotions and anguish they both felt showed in their expressions of intense grief, as they both struggled for composure as they bid farewell to the casket of Prince Henrik.

Their self-evident feelings were so like mine that I choked up upon seeing the photograph. I hope that as the months pass, the Danish Queen and her loved ones will find solace in their daily activities.

For me, the natural world and fountain pens have provided healing over the past year, as has the refreshing presence of Zuji, the 8-month old Pug puppy who shares my life.

Combining the solid craftsmanship of Montblanc pens, mostly 149s but also others, with botanical features joins beauty to beauty as a balm for life’s unspoken suffering.

The FPN pen images which most inspire me are by farmdogfan, from Denmark, who has recently exchanged wonderful messages with me for various reasons.

I’ve learned that like me, his images are strictly handheld, using remarkably similar camera gear. The images of his Danish/Swedish Farmdogs elsewhere in FPN are outstanding.

He mentioned that he occasionally uses a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens to create the lovely images of Danish-made coral red fountain pens which he shares with us.

Out of respect for his high quality photography, this morning I used the same lens to photograph the Bespoke 90th Anniversary 149 EEF “Leopard Pen” with pelargonium plants.

Despite it being late February, following one month of sub-freezing temperatures, the hardy potted pelargonium plants growing outside on window ledges are thriving, putting on bloom buds.

This thread benefits from the vivid fountain pen images from Cyrille, Reed_thoughts, jconn and others, sharing their unique ways of “Enjoying Montblanc Pens…”.

I look forward to more and varied pen images from others as Spring weather returns to the Northern Hemisphere.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoa! That Parasol shot really gives graphic evidence how narrow that EEF really is when juxtaposed with veins in the flower. Talk about a needle nib... And yet the ink it lays down is vivid and legible.

Wow, gorgeous images indeed! You are the one who sets the bar time and again, and only bested by your own self.

The way the rose gold nib is colored by the surroundings is just mesmerizing.

Such a loss, a parent no less, is never easy to get over. I've learned with time that you just learn to walk with the gaping hole. Can one really let go?

We may accept things because we have no real alternative... But in my case at least, there is always the yearning, the longing for that one last perfect time. One more time of both of us in full health and conciousness, a nice conversation, a great lesson... Just one more. But it is never enough, is it?

Beautiful shots and wonderful vibrant colours.

~ farmdogfan:

That means a lot coming from the gentleman who impresses me with every image posted in FPN, whether of coral red Danish-made vintage Montblanc pens or of beautiful Danish/Swedish Farmdogs.

Thank you very much. I learn from every photo composition you post in FPN.

Tom K.

Whoa! That Parasol shot really gives graphic evidence how narrow that EEF really is when juxtaposed with veins in the flower. Talk about a needle nib... And yet the ink it lays down is vivid and legible.

~ Ghost Plane:

It's truly surgical suture slender, no?

The wonder of it is that narrowness of width has had no effect whatsoever on either smoothness of writing or on steadiness of ink flow.

From EEF to OBBB — and beyond — Montblanc crafts nibs which actually write.

Ha! Telling you the virtues of broader nibs is the epitome of “preaching to the choir”.

Tom K.

Wow, gorgeous images indeed! You are the one who sets the bar time and again, and only bested by your own self.

The way the rose gold nib is colored by the surroundings is just mesmerizing.

Such a loss, a parent no less, is never easy to get over. I've learned with time that you just learn to walk with the gaping hole. Can one really let go?

We may accept things because we have no real alternative... But in my case at least, there is always the yearning, the longing for that one last perfect time. One more time of both of us in full health and conciousness, a nice conversation, a great lesson... Just one more. But it is never enough, is it?

~ Reed_thoughts:

I'm moved by your deep understanding of loss and grieving.

Healing requires time...space...patience...and the kindness of others.

Photographing fountain pens in nature to bring out their beauty brings satisfaction and calm.

I'm so pleased that you enjoy the images. I've sought to pick up color tones from the micro-environment in the nib. Thank you for noticing that.

Your images are very highly welcome in this threads. You try fresh approaches, which spurs me on to do likewise.

The beautiful pens with which you write are lovely subjects for images.

Tom K.

The pelargonium leaf texture pic is just something else..!! New desktop wallpaper added, thanks!

~ Pravda:

Thank you for noticing that exceptional leaf texture.

It happens during the cold Winter months, but not during Summer.

When I saw it, it seemed like an ideal contrast with a glistening 149 nib.

Tom K.

The OBBB has finally arrived!

~ teeitup418holes:

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you for posting two very special images.

The trio of Broad nibs is a feast for the eyes.

I like your composition, which clearly shows all three nibs, yet also brings out the subtle differences in the nib faces.

The handwriting sample is great! Those of us who appreciate the charms of the broadest nibs see how useful they are for writing.

Your new OBBB inked in Montblanc Lavender Purple writes with clarity and precision.

The handwriting example shows the practicality of an OBBB as a daily writer. You're bringing joy to this thread!

With such a rare display from the Broad Side — a BB, an OBB, and an OBBB — Ghost Plane's oven will be doing a double batch of her finest.

I'd better contribute a large bowl of tangerines, nectarines, mangosteens, passionfruit, and fresh cherries, to add to the festive atmosphere.

With Happiness for Your OBBB,

Tom K.

Just received a new Montblanc after two months of waiting! I had an OBB on a 149 and 146 nibs in OBB and OB, and most older purchases had been F or EF. So I was undecided on this one; basically my first new Montblanc that I could had the nib of my choice. I wanted a nib that would reflect the purchase, but one that could be used for everyday use as well. I decided to go with OB. I received it yesterday and was impressed by the overall quality of the pen! The nib is slightly soft, more like the 1912 than a 149. The cap screws on with a very luxurious feel, and the piston is silky smooth.

The tines on the nib are separated, similar to the way some US nibmeisters adjust their nibs. I have not inked the pen yet. As I fell asleep last night, I was trying to determine if the nib was intended to be that way from Montblanc, and whether it would perform well.

Any guesses on whether the nib will write well? By the way, it seems to be exceedingly smooth writing dry and under a loupe.

post-26193-0-63519200-1519317393.jpeg

post-26193-0-60833100-1519317421.jpeg

post-26193-0-52902400-1519317433.jpeg

Brad - as long as the gap does not widen as you get to the tipping you should write ok. Some visible gap is not normal from the factory for #6 size nibs, but it should still be ok.

If you are concerned I recommend documenting this with MB before inking in case you are unhappy and want a new OB.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

It’s tough, but after years of snatching up a new acquisition and immediately writing, I’ve decided to savor a short time of reflection. I don’t remember seeing another Montblanc nib with a gap, but I am hopeful that since it came directly from Montblanc in Germany it will be good. I bought Shakespeare Red and the Beatles purple and am not sure which to use on the initial run.

I will ink it shortly and see!