• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally have photos!!!

~ GranTorino25:

Absolutely gorgeous!

You've spoiled us with such nice handwriting samples.

Thank you so much for your very kind words.

The Montblanc Lavender Purple looks great through the Red Gold 149 OBBB nib.

Your generosity in providing ample handwriting makes clear what a versatile nib an OBBB is.

I'm delighted that you're having so much fun in writing with your Red Gold 149 OBBB.

With Appreciation and Happiness,

Tom K.

~ The Montblanc Lavender Purple ink is actually visible in the ink in the image showing the cap. Cool!

Your lovely new pen shines in the photos. The oblique nib is displayed with pleasing clarity.

I like how you provided clear downward strokes and cross strokes, for a helpful visual contrast.

Please enjoy many active writing days in 2018 and beyond!

Tom K.

One last one :D

For pity’s sake, don’t limit yourself on posts with that beauty. Especially if you’re going to use one of my favorite inks.

Guess we need another batch of cookies...

Thank you all!!

CAG- the journal is a Taroko Shop Breeze Notebook, I recently wrote a blog post about it too if you're interested, which can be found under the paper review forum :)

That certainly won't be the last post of mine, especially with university starting again and plenty more writing to do!!

Thank you all!!

CAG- the journal is a Taroko Shop Breeze Notebook, I recently wrote a blog post about it too if you're interested, which can be found under the paper review forum :)

That certainly won't be the last post of mine, especially with university starting again and plenty more writing to do!!

~ GranTorino25:

Thank you for the follow-up.

Is this the notebook review?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/331674-taroko-designs-breeze-notebook-a-breezy-review/

If so, it's linked to a Wordpress review with very helpful images.

As Wordpress isn't available in the area where I work and live, an overseas friend kindly sent me screen shots of the well-written review.

https://fountainpenfriendlyblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/10/review-of-taroko-designs-breeze-notebook-how-breezey/

It's a great help to see how the notebook is organized.

By all means, please feel free to share images of the ink display in the notebook either in this thread or in the Pen and Ink Log thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/324305-a-pen-and-ink-log/page-1

Your experience and ideas would benefit everyone. They are, after all, another way of “Enjoying Montblanc Pens”.

I've returned to look at your handwriting samples from the Red Gold 149 OBBB — Beautiful!

As your classes resume, I hope that you'll enjoy many hours of productive writing.

Tom K.

Thank you all!!

Great! Thanks for the info!

~ GranTorino25:

You were able to obtain the ink in your area?

That's wonderful!

Thank you for sharing this excellent handwriting sample with examples of strokes.

Your Red Gold 149 OBBB is a terrific writer, as the handwriting sample shows.

I'm so pleased that you've been able to match the ink with your pen, as they make a superb combination.

The broad, wet strokes are expressive, aren't they?

This thread is brightened by your post. Again, many thanks!

Tom K.

I was very fortunate! The local pen store doesn't have much turn over, so often they have older stock- in this case, a blessing!!

The lighter colour accentuates the variation in my opinion :)

~ The Montblanc fountain pens I most enjoy are typically those which I own and use. After all, they’re on my desk ready for sketching and writing as the need arises.

All of them are black with precious metal fittings ranging from rings to clips to the impressive nibs, whether Bespoke EEF or special nib exchange request OBBB.

When especially impressive pens are used by FPN friends as writers, I avidly read their posts and appreciate the images they thoughtfully provide.

For example, Ghost Plane’s exceptional Blue Hour Skeleton and her 90th Anniversary Skeleton…zaddick’s dazzling collection of broader nibs…and Pravda’s one-of-a-kind Bespoke Cursive Italic Small Signature.

The extensive assortment of 144s and 145s da vinci has shown, the reliable writers meiers uses and his handwriting samples — these are sources of great pleasure.

There aren’t any “Grail Pens” in my thoughts, as I’m already overly blessed with excellent writers in various nib sizes.

Were anyone to offer me any Montblanc fountain pen, past or present, as a gift, there’s none which come to mind as I’m so pleased with what I already use for sketching and writing.

One of the pleasures of regularly reading the FPN Montblanc Forum is seeing what others use for writing, as my taste is thereby broadened and enriched.

I’m not by any means a fountain pen connoisseur, lacking the informed, disciplined awareness of those who have carefully assembled sophisticated collections.

******************************************************************************************

While all of this is true, a recent exchange of posts with Michael R. in the thread “Which Is the Most Underappreciated Montblanc?” stimulated my thinking.

He offered a list of modern pens which he felt deserved more attention and discussion, in addition to mentioning non-Meisterstück pens and vintage safety and push-button fillers.

To my surprise, a pen was listed there which has remained in the wings of my thoughts for several years. As it’s seldom mentioned in the Montblanc Forum, I took notice of his comments and replied.

The model in question is the 1994 Patron of Art Louis XIV pen in silver gilt, i.e. ‘vermeil’. It seems to be a fairly well-known pen but isn't especially popular.

For me, the POA Louis XIV is a case of a pen which I’d be very unlikely to acquire and use for daily writing, yet it’s a pen for which I feel an inexplicable fondness.

Are there fountain pens which others don’t ever plan to acquire, but which are a favorite, if only for window shopping and daydreaming?

Cleaning the tarnish on a POA Louis XIV would be a necessity. It’s golden sheen would probably preclude it from public use unless one worked in Fort Knox, Kentucky.

It’s a pen model which is wholly unlike anything I write with. Yet I’m tickled that Montblanc designed and offered such a classic pen with an unforgettably striking appearance.

Is it a form of “Grail Pen”? No. Is it some sort of “Dream Pen”? No. Does it represent a latent desire for a gilded writing tool? No.

Rather it’s a cheerful example of the marvel that such pens sit on desks and are used for daily writing.

Similarly, I don’t yearn to see a Papua-New Guinea bird-of-paradise every day but I’m so glad that they exist.

Maybe FPN’s Montblanc Forum is a welcome source of vicarious pleasure in seeing and reading about pens which I’ll never use, but I’m so glad to know are the treasures on the desks of others.

Below is a collage of POA Louis XIV images, showing what was new and sought in 1994, and hasn’t lost its luster in 2018.

Tom K.

fpn_1516276868__aa.png

fpn_1516277225__bb.png

A Blue Hour skeleton (love all of GP's pictures) and Agatha Christie. But I think Nakaya has more "love to admire, but don't want to own" pens.

Edited by ribbit

Tom, Happy New Year!

Your Louis XIV is a beauty. Thanks for posting more of your remarkable photographs. Seeing the finish makes me sentimental for my old 146 Solitaire in GP barley. Not a misprint, gold plated. It was made prior to the vermeil, and according to some folks was far rarer. I bought it new in the early 1990s, enjoyed it about 10 years, and then moved it along when I "needed" some other fountain pen.

Thank you again for so frequently contributing to our knowledge and visual delight.

Best wishes,

Barry

Really hard to tell. But I want to say the top one is a teeny tiny bit more crisp. But veeeery subtle.

Ink wise. Bottom one is darker. My burgundy looks different. Is that a scan or a picture taken?

Bottom ink looks like Shakespeare velvet red. But Im guessing its Fritz rot?