• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yellow god dual tone in the subject, rose in the background. Silver/Rhodium coating on the 2nd plane.

All nibs are just lovely to watch and use.

fpn_1513129237__flair.jpg

I got my MB146 B back from Dan Smith yesterday. I had him regrind it to a Oblique Cursive Italic. I am really liking it. I still need to get used to writing with it but it does just what I would expect. It's smooth and has a large difference between its wide and narrow lines. It also works on smooth Rhodia as well as cheep paper. It sometimes had starting issues on smooth paper before I had the work done. My pics are not great but thought I would share anyways!

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB146OB-1.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB146-ob-2.png

149 with a B nib customized by Pendleton Brown to a cursive italic/stub. The 149 is such a comfortable pen to write with, excellent pens for long writing sessions.

AGb5M6K.jpg

zz8YhP5.jpg

I got my MB146 B back from Dan Smith yesterday. I had him regrind it to a Oblique Cursive Italic. I am really liking it. I still need to get used to writing with it but it does just what I would expect. It's smooth and has a large difference between its wide and narrow lines. It also works on smooth Rhodia as well as cheep paper. It sometimes had starting issues on smooth paper before I had the work done. My pics are not great but thought I would share anyways!

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB146OB-1.png

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/MB146-ob-2.png

The reground nib looks great. I hope you enjoy it.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

How much of a difference is there from ob to obb? I know each not is unique with variation, but would an obb be roughly double the width of an ob?

Im in love with how my obliques write, and though the Beatles F I have writes well, I'm just not sure the fine not does it justice.

I could always go with a B... Decisions... Choices... There's really only one real solution. Get more pens.

How much of a difference is there from ob to obb? I know each not is unique with variation, but would an obb be roughly double the width of an ob?

Assuming you mean from the factory, absolutely not double, just the next size up in width, akin to the single size jump from F to M or M to B or B to BB.

With an agressive nib grind, you can make an OB with like an O3B or wider, so that is more of a case-by-case basis.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Assuming you mean from the factory, absolutely not double, just the next size up in width, akin to the single size jump from F to M or M to B or B to BB.

With an agressive nib grind, you can make an OB with like an O3B or wider, so that is more of a case-by-case basis.

Yes, factory. I guess there's never really a 'too wide'

These nib pics are fantastic! Love the inked replies!

Tom, in your previous post, is the bespoke EF nib the one on the far right? Did you get to select the gold colour for the nib too?

fpn_1513288344__dan_smith.jpg

149 with a B nib customized by Pendleton Brown to a cursive italic/stub. The 149 is such a comfortable pen to write with, excellent pens for long writing sessions.

fpn_1513289507__bronze.jpg

pwsuba asked:

"How much of a difference is there from ob to obb? I know each not is unique with variation, but would an obb be roughly double the width of an ob?"

​In modern pens, a B tip will be roughly 1.0mm wide, a BB 1.5mm and a 3B 2.0mm. The obliques will be similar, measured straight across (the writing surface, as the hypotenuse of a triangle, will be slightly wider.) These are of course only approximations. As Bo Bo Olsen repeatedly points out, vintage nibs on the whole are half a step narrower, Japanese one step narrower for the same nominal size. I have an MB 149 B nib with a 1.0mm-wide tip, and a WWII era 334 1/2 OBB about 1.3mm wide.

Im in love with how my obliques write, and though the Beatles F I have writes well, I'm just not sure the fine not does it justice.

I could always go with a B... Decisions... Choices... There's really only one real solution. Get more pens.

Yes, factory. I guess there's never really a 'too wide'

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/325098-welcome-to-the-broad-side/

fpn_1513291315__too_broad.jpg

These nib pics are fantastic! Love the inked replies!

Tom, in your previous post, is the bespoke EF nib the one on the far right? Did you get to select the gold colour for the nib too?

fpn_1513292983__more_bespokes.jpg

Dear Tom,

I am reaching out asking for help.

I am looking to get a O3B Nib for my new UNICEF skeleton through my dealer in Malaysia. But he heard from MB in Geneva saying they won't do O3B and it is only available for standard 149. Is there any way to reverse this ?

Thanks

Nishant

fpn_1513289507__bronze.jpg

Tom Kellie, very happy to introduce you to Diamine Monaco Red! And many thanks for the handwritten reply :) Monaco Red has been a favourite of mine since I first tried it several years ago. Problem free performance as well, highly recommended. It looks especially good in somewhat wet writers to my eyes.

And what a nice thread, full of wonderful pens and inspiring nibs.

I'll post some pictures of a 149 with an OBB nib when I find some time during the weekend.

Tom Kellie, very happy to introduce you to Diamine Monaco Red! And many thanks for the handwritten reply :) Monaco Red has been a favourite of mine since I first tried it several years ago. Problem free performance as well, highly recommended. It looks especially good in somewhat wet writers to my eyes.

And what a nice thread, full of wonderful pens and inspiring nibs.

I'll post some pictures of a 149 with an OBB nib when I find some time during the weekend.

fpn_1513359586__monaco_red.jpg