Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have e-mail, Tom.

The video contains some interesting informations about evolution of 149 during the time.

Some screenshots are on the way to China. :-)

fpn_1512804273__149_video.jpg

fpn_1512804273__149_video.jpg

You're welcome. It was my pleasure. :)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Thanks so much to Yeepers and Reed_thoughts for posting photos of the music and oblique cursive italic nibs. They are beautiful and so unusual!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Pic for today. Across the years....

attachicon.gifIMG_4466.jpg

Nice picture. Use your beautiful pens in good health. :)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

fpn_1512846405__precious_metals.jpg

~ In recent weeks I've encountered advertisements for pre-owned Montblanc pens which mention both Ruthenium and Rhodium.

Which precious metals have been used by Montblanc in either pen barrel decoration or in nib manufacture?

Are all of the following correct?

Have any precious metals been overlooked or mistakenly included? (Stainless Steel is included despite not being a precious metal)

Tom K.

**********************************************************************************

• Yellow Gold

• Red Gold

• Platinum

• Stainless Steel

• Sterling Silver

• Palladium

• Iridium

• Ruthenium

• Rhodium

White gold is missing.

I think aluminum, like the DaVinci, though it is as precious as steel.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

White gold is missing.

I think aluminum, like the DaVinci, though it is as precious as steel.

~ zaddick:

Great! Thanks so much for your additional information.

May I please ask a pair of follow-up questions?

• Did the da Vinci used anodized aluminum in the barrel?

• Which model(s) used white gold?

Your input and expertise is appreciated, as this clears up this point for future readers of this thread.

BTW: One precious metal from the platinum family which I was unable to find used in Montblanc pens is Osmium, although it's been used by other fountain pen makers.

Tom K.

I am not sure the metal, but it is indeed described as anodized. I assumed aluminum, but I am not sure. I don't have one.

White gold is used in a lot of skeletons and POA 888 pens. I think some of the 100 year pens too.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I am not sure the metal, but it is indeed described as anodized. I assumed aluminum, but I am not sure. I don't have one.

White gold is used in a lot of skeletons and POA 888 pens. I think some of the 100 year pens too.

~ zaddick:

Thank you so much for the clarification.

After reading your comment, I confirmed elsewhere that the Montblanc Leonardo da Vinci does use anodized aluminum.

That's useful to know, as I'd never have guessed that.

Ah...white gold in Skeletons and POA 888 pens. That makes sense.

I'd admired the exceptionally striking Montblanc Blue Hour Skeleton 149 and mistakenly supposed that it was white gold.

I was corrected and told that the Blue Hour Skeleton 149 is platinum-coated, with a rhodium-coated gold nib.

However, such other Skeletons as the Albert Einstein, Axis Mundi, Antonio Gaudi, Georges Pompidou and Genghis Khan are white gold.

It's also been brought to my attention that there's a distinction between “Red Gold” and “Rose Gold”.

Until now, I'd been carelessly using them interchangeably. While they're nearly the same there's a critical difference in the alloy.

It seems that 18K Red Gold is 3:1 gold:copper. Rose gold is the same metallurgical ratio, except that the copper includes 2.75% silver.

When I said “Rose Gold” in a Beijing Montblanc boutique, I was gently corrected and told that it was actually “Red Gold”.

Is it then the case that Montblanc fountain pens have exclusively used Red Gold and never used Rose Gold?

Step-by-step, point-by-point, the nature of the precious metals used by Montblanc fountain pen craftsmen becomes clear.

Tom K.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/306408-montblanc-rose-gold/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/125948-meisterstuck-75th-anniversary-pens/page-1

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/106220-montblanc-149-75th-anniversary-special-edition/

~ It seems that the Meisterstück 75th Anniversary pens of various sizes and styles were coated in Rose Gold.

Resellers and those reviewing the pens describe the metal as being Rose Gold, although I was unable to find those words on the outside of the original boxes.

Therefore all indications are that I overlooked Rose Gold in the Precious Metals list.

Are there any others which need to be included?

Tom K.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/306408-montblanc-rose-gold/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/125948-meisterstuck-75th-anniversary-pens/page-1

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/106220-montblanc-149-75th-anniversary-special-edition/

~ It seems that the Meisterstück 75th Anniversary pens of various sizes and styles were coated in Rose Gold.

Resellers and those reviewing the pens describe the metal as being Rose Gold, although I was unable to find those words on the outside of the original boxes.

Therefore all indications are that I overlooked Rose Gold in the Precious Metals list.

Are there any others which need to be included?

Tom K.

You're right. Meisterstück 75th Anniversary pens have got rose gold plated rings and clip and rose gold 18 carat nib.

Edited by Zdenek

~ This morning I received a detailed report about a Bespoke Nib transaction which occurred earlier today in the Eastern United States.

It's such a positive report that it merits sharing here, to encourage those who might be considering a Montblanc Bespoke Nib.

My former graduate student and long-time friend is a life science researcher at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.

Earlier today he visited the Tysons Galleria Montblanc boutique in Tysons Corner, McLean, Virginia.

He was there to have a Writers Edition fountain pen submitted for a Bespoke Nib.

The experience surprised him, due to the exceptional degree of professionalism of Mr. Robert Marciniszyn, the Montblanc District Manager, based in McLean, Virginia.

Although my friend is a Chinese national with a youthful appearance, he told me that he was treated with far above average warmth and courtesy.

Mr. Marciniszyn explained the entire Bespoke Nib process to him with attention to detail, gladly answering various questions.

He prepared a Montblanc internal “repair ticket” for use by the Madison Avenue, NYC boutique in ordering the Bespoke Nib, and also prepared the pen for shipment to the Ft. Worth, Texas Montblanc Service Center.

Mr. Marciniszyn has processed quite a number of Bespoke Nib requests, including one Washington, DC area client who's ordered six Bespoke Nibs.

He showed my friend a completed Bespoke Nib which had arrived back into the boutique that day. It's delicacy and craftsmanship highly impressed my friend.

Several photos were sent to me of the paperwork associated with my friend’s Bespoke order, as he wanted my opinion.

They were complete, detailed and exactly like the paperwork for the Bespoke EEF Nib which I ordered in 2014.

The Montblanc After Sales Service Coordinator for Montblanc in Ft. Worth is Mr. Michael Garcia. He takes personal care that all Bespoke orders are efficiently processed and forwarded to Hamburg, Germany.

The positive experience of my friend in ordering a Bespoke Nib today was a direct consequence of Mr. Marciniszyn's experience, courtesy and exemplary customer service skills.

This suggests that Bespoke Nibs may be ordered, if one is assisted by an experienced staff member.

Montblanc's Bespoke Nibs are great fun to use. I hope that others may experience writing with them in the future.

Tom K.

My Toronto MB has told me that they do not have facilities setup for bespoke nib requests in Canada unfortunately. They will have to make an appointment for me at the Madison Avenue MB in NY to get it done, and then they forward the information to MB in Germany to have the bespoke nib created. Good excuse for a road trip soon! :)

My Toronto MB has told me that they do not have facilities setup for bespoke nib requests in Canada unfortunately. They will have to make an appointment for me at the Madison Avenue MB in NY to get it done, and then they forward the information to MB in Germany to have the bespoke nib created. Good excuse for a road trip soon! :)

fpn_1513127005__toronto_boutique.jpg