Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• default_large.png
  • Member - Gold
  • gold_member.png
    bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 29 minutes ago

Today I'm using my new 149 with O3B nib inked with Diamine Safari. But after seeing GP's post I'm considering changing ink to Kon-Peki. Another thanks to Tom and his posts for leading me to the O3B rabbit hole! What a nib--and truly versatile.

fpn_1512495093__new_obbb.jpg

Edited by Tom Kellie

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"In a very general sense, what is the video about?"

You have e-mail, Tom.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

fpn_1512367003__skinny.jpg

Hi Tom,

It is my undersatading that gold wash is a thinner layer of gold deposit, as measured in microns, vs gold plating. I have also read that when a solution for plating has been used for a while and has more impurities that it is use more for gold washing. I am not sure if that is true. I think of gold wash as a very light guilding that can be polish off fairly easily.

But, I dug into the treatmeant of Palladium and Steel war time nibs. For Palladium nibs, the gold coloration was not affected through a plating process. Instead some special heating process was applied that discolored the Palladium to a golden tone. Apparently this was not stable and could be easily worn away which is why most Palladium nibs seen today appear as all white metal.

I am not sure if the steel nibs were ever treated to look like gold or aquire a gold tone. I'll have to continue to read up on that topic.

Hope that helps.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

All 149s have charm.

~ meiers:

Yes, they do.

What's surprised me is that using Classiques and a Mozart has revealed their charms.

Reliability, comfortable ergonomics and eye-pleasing design all add up to charm.

Every day I feel satisfied with Montblancs as writers.

The 149 M which was originally given to me was the first step in writing with high quality pens.

The Meisterstück line has brought me not only outstanding fountain pens, but also friends through this forum.

Tom K.

"In a very general sense, what is the video about?"

You have e-mail, Tom.

~ Zdenek:

Many warm thanks!

Your very kind sharing of the contents helps me understand what the video shares.

Such a 149 overview is a useful summary for better understanding of that model.

As my first encounter with Montblanc was through a 149 M gift, I mistakenly supposed that it was the standard Montblanc.

Through subsequent visits to Montblanc boutiques and through regular reading of the FPN Montblanc Forum, I've realized how much more variety is available.

The smaller Meisterstücks and the Limited Editions are also excellent writers.

Montblanc inks have also been a pleasure to use.

I appreciate the 149 video being shared here, despite it being unavailable in the area where I work and live.

Tom K.

It is my undersatading that gold wash is a thinner layer of gold deposit, as measured in microns, vs gold plating. I have also read that when a solution for plating has been used for a while and has more impurities that it is use more for gold washing. I am not sure if that is true. I think of gold wash as a very light guilding that can be polish off fairly easily.

But, I dug into the treatmeant of Palladium and Steel war time nibs. For Palladium nibs, the gold coloration was not affected through a plating process. Instead some special heating process was applied that discolored the Palladium to a golden tone. Apparently this was not stable and could be easily worn away which is why most Palladium nibs seen today appear as all white metal.

I am not sure if the steel nibs were ever treated to look like gold or aquire a gold tone. I'll have to continue to read up on that topic.

Hope that helps.

~ zaddick:

Yes, indeed. Your careful explanation helps a lot.

Thank you for sorting out the metallurgical techniques used to add golden luster to older Montblanc nibs.

Such information provides valuable context when viewing photographs of the older nibs, such as the ‘250’ you posted.

The FPN Montblanc Forum educates those like me who are in the discovery phase of using and collecting Montblanc pens.

Your expertise and willingness to patiently explain is highly appreciated!

Tom K.

Scenes at a Mountain Campus

fpn_1512528679__the_qinling_mountains_an

The Qinling Mountains and a Campus Road

fpn_1512528818__fields_east_of_the_campu

Fields East of the Campus in Early December

fpn_1512528980__on_a_blue_student_desk.j

On a Blue Student Desk

fpn_1512529196__reading_tool.jpg

Reading Tool

It's not a 149 or even any swanky limited edition pen but OH MY...I'm in LOVE!!! I have a thing for music nibs and to be able to add this to my collection might be the feather in my cap!!!

post-64817-0-00279700-1512530544_thumb.jpeg

Edited by yeepers

It's not a 149 or even any swanky limited edition pen but OH MY...I'm in LOVE!!! I have a thing for music nibs and to be able to add this to my collection might be the feather in my cap!!!

~ yeepers:

Ho Ho Ho!

What's that LOVELY pen that you're showing us?

Is it a Montblanc 246, or is it another model?

If a double-slit, twin breather hole nib isn't swanky enough, I don't know what is.

If it joined your collection, there'd be a feather boa draped around your writing desk.

Wherever you found it, by all means look again. It's a beauty!

Ever since you posted it I've been thinking about it, wondering about it's background.

Many mahalos for letting us see such a marvel.

Tom K.

~ Zdenek:

Many warm thanks!

Your very kind sharing of the contents helps me understand what the video shares.

Such a 149 overview is a useful summary for better understanding of that model.

As my first encounter with Montblanc was through a 149 M gift, I mistakenly supposed that it was the standard Montblanc.

Through subsequent visits to Montblanc boutiques and through regular reading of the FPN Montblanc Forum, I've realized how much more variety is available.

The smaller Meisterstücks and the Limited Editions are also excellent writers.

Montblanc inks have also been a pleasure to use.

I appreciate the 149 video being shared here, despite it being unavailable in the area where I work and live.

Tom K.

The video contains some interesting informations about evolution of 149 during the time.

Some screenshots are on the way to China. :-)

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

~ zaddick:

Yes, indeed. Your careful explanation helps a lot.

Thank you for sorting out the metallurgical techniques used to add golden luster to older Montblanc nibs.

Such information provides valuable context when viewing photographs of the older nibs, such as the ‘250’ you posted.

The FPN Montblanc Forum educates those like me who are in the discovery phase of using and collecting Montblanc pens.

Your expertise and willingness to patiently explain is highly appreciated!

Tom K.

There exists also "rolled gold". I don't know if the process is used in nib manufacture.

http://cashforgoldusa.com/blog/2012/06/what-is-rolled-gold/

Edited by Zdenek

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326540-mb-nib-exchange-what-is-going-on/page-8 post #157

~ Below is the terrific news that DCharles has finally received his 149 OBBB.

After inking it with Montblanc Oyster Grey, he says that it writes like a dream.

Tom K.

Dcharles

Rare

• photo-128757.jpg?_r=1464921873
  • Member - Gold
  • gold_member.png
    bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 149 posts
  • Flag: US%20-%20Vermont.gif

Posted 7 minutes ago

The saga is finally over! To the naked eye everything looks great, I can tell they replaced my clip and possibly my cap, the piston feels different as well. Most importantly, the nib. This thing writes like a dream! 149 O3B inked with MB oyster gray. Even on a poor quality steno pad it looks amazing. Please forgive the terrible photo.

~ yeepers:

Ho Ho Ho!

What's that LOVELY pen that you're showing us?

Is it a Montblanc 246, or is it another model?

If a double-slit, twin breather hole nib isn't swanky enough, I don't know what is.

If it joined your collection, there'd be a feather boa draped around your writing desk.

Wherever you found it, by all means look again. It's a beauty!

Ever since you posted it I've been thinking about it, wondering about it's background.

Many mahalos for letting us see such a marvel.

Tom K.

It's a 246. Beautifully restored by Osman Sumer and purchased from the folks at Chatterley (darn you for turning me on to that website, by the way!). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it there and didn't hesitate to jump on it even at the crazy price it was listed at. Eeeep!

It's a 246. Beautifully restored by Osman Sumer and purchased from the folks at Chatterley (darn you for turning me on to that website, by the way!). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it there and didn't hesitate to jump on it even at the crazy price it was listed at. Eeeep!

fpn_1512584146__eep_eep.jpg

Really enjoying all the beautiful compositions and writings in these posts! Thanks to all!
Also really loving the Psychedlic purple ink. :)

I'm in lust! That's my kind of nib. :wub:

fpn_1512738645__double_trouble.png

~ Somehow it brings to mind the back of the hood of Naja naja, the Binocellate Cobra.

If it's anywhere near as lethal, it'll be a spectacular writer.

yeepers has made a great buy!

Tom K.

Oblique cursive italic nib (by Nib smith) inked on Beatles Psychedelic purple!

Really enjoying all the beautiful compositions and writings in these posts! Thanks to all!

Also really loving the Psychedlic purple ink. :)

~ Reed_thoughts and Stanman:

The Beatles Psychedelic Purple ink stands out, doesn't it?

It's great to see the ink on paper from such a nice nib.

An Oblique Cursive Italic is altogether new to me.

Thank you for posting it here. Seeing unfamiliar nib possibilities expands my notions of what might be possible.

Tom K.