Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1545568451___poignant_pekingese.jpg

What? No Montblanc Pens Under the Tree for Me?

Lovely sniffer.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

1953 Montblanc Celluloid 144 OBB

At the close of November, 2018 a mid-1950s Montblanc 342 OBB came to my writing desk.

Writing with the OBB nib was an unexpectedly delightful experience due to its generous ink flow and smooth nib face.

At that time I offhandedly mentioned to friends in Europe that it might be nice to someday acquire a Montblanc fountain pen made in 1953 with an OBB nib.

I was born in 1953 hence I have a particular affinity for anything of that vintage.

In the 1er arrondissement of Paris the restaurant Carré des Feuillants has offered a glass of 1953 armagnac after each of the meals I’ve enjoyed there.

Within less than one week I was apprised of a Montblanc celluloid 144 which fit my preferences, having been made in 1953 with an OBB nib.

Arrangements were made for the pen to reach me via a circuitous route.

My long-time friend from Fujian in southeastern China is a researcher at the U.S. National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.

He married earlier this month. His bride graciously agreed to carry the pen in her handbag when she returned to visit her parents as a newlywed lady.

The pen was in a package which arrived at 2:30 pm on Christmas Day.

There’s no evidence of use or having ever been inked. The pen was put away for decades, remaining undisturbed by use or daylight.

As I like the dimensions of a 144, it’s comfortable in my fingertips. The piston knob turns as agilely as a recent model.

The Oblique Double Broad nib is pure pleasure as a writer. Smooth, easy to control, with sensitive feedback from the paper surface.

This pen is sure to be a regular performer on my writing desk. It’s aged far better than I have, which I find inspiring.

Tom K.

fpn_1545837019__shipping_tube.jpg

Shipping Tube

fpn_1545837078__obb_within.jpg

OBB Within

fpn_1545837177__1953_celluloid_144_obb.j

1953 Celluloid 144 OBB

fpn_1545837240__1953_144.jpg

1953 144

fpn_1545837278__1953_obb.jpg

1953 OBB

fpn_1545837333__144_obb_nib.jpg

144 OBB Nib

fpn_1545837376__144_obb_feed.jpg

144 OBB Feed

fpn_1545837416__obb_writing_sample.jpg

Edited by Tom Kellie

Again Tom, that is a stunning pen! The nib is so very special. Congrats! And thanks for sharing the pictures and the story.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

1959 Montblanc 149 BBB

When the 1953 Montblanc Celluloid 144 OBB was offered to me I was fully satisfied. As it was what I’d sought, there was nothing more to be desired.
However, fate intervened. It seemed that images of my five Montblanc OBBBs had suggested that I might be interested in their seldom-seen cousin.
A 1959 149, from the period when precious resin 149s were introduced, was offered to me with the original BBB nib. BBB nibs were made in limited quantities at that time.
The pen in question had remained in its original case for over half a century, un-inked, somewhat forgotten, preserved without much appreciation or care.
A genuine BBB from Hamburg artisans, the nib face was wide, with the characteristic bevelled surfaces shown in a diagram of Montblanc nibs from that era.
Due to no use since it was made, the pen was offered scratch-free in the original box.
Was it possible that I might be interested? My affirmative response required no reflection whatsoever as a Triple Broad 149 highly appealed to me.
The pen arrived in the early afternoon of Christmas Day in the same box as the 1953 Montblanc Celluloid 144 OBB and five books.
My loyal student friend brought the shipping box to my apartment. A Chinese Muslim, he’s the current provincial Chinese martial arts champion. Christmas was also his 21st birthday.
A joyous feeling of merriment and celebration accompanied the opening of the package.
Gently opening the late 1950s Montblanc box covered in taupe fabric revealed two information booklets in German and a small Montblanc pin.
The pen resembles current 149s in boutique showcases. Handling it with reverence, I marveled at the outstanding quality of what happens to be the ninth 149 on my writing desk.
How does it write? With verve and panache!
It’s not a wet writer. The large nib face is easy to handle, laying ink in crisp lines and strokes in response to fingertip control.
This is a pen made for displaying inks in all of their glory. Shading is to be expected when the strokes are such a generous width.
As with OBBBs and other very wide nibs, the 149 BBB ‘corners very well’ in the sense that it isn’t at all messy, providing sharp lines if handled with finesse.
Such a brash nib is ideal for signatures, short notes on greeting cards, attention-getting instructions, or for the sheer unalloyed pleasure of spreading ink around.
Adding the 149 BBB to my writing desk brings a fresh pulse of inspiration. I’m looking forward to writing with it in 2019 and beyond.

Tom K.
fpn_1545840968__fully_wrapped.jpg
Fully Wrapped
fpn_1545841018__within_the_wrapping.jpg
Within the Wrapping
fpn_1545841069__first_look.jpg
First Look
fpn_1545841113__in_the_presentation_box_
In the Presentation Box Lid
fpn_1545841402__1959_149_bbb.jpg
1959 149 BBB
fpn_1545841454__1959_149_bbb_nib.jpg
1959 149 BBB Nib
fpn_1545841501__149_bbb_feed.jpg
149 BBB Feed
fpn_1545841553__kontrollfller.jpg
Kontrollfüller
fpn_1545841609__from_within_the_presenta
From Within the Presentation Box
fpn_1545841702__bbb_writing_sample.jpg

A Few Comparison Images:

1953 Montblanc Celluloid 144 OBB and 1959 Montblanc 149 BBB

fpn_1545842707__144_obb_and_149_bbb.jpg

144 OBB and 149 BBB

fpn_1545842762__side-by-side_comparison.

Side-by-Side Comparison

fpn_1545842816__stars_from_half_a_centur

Stars from Half a Century Ago

fpn_1545842865__christmas_day_nibs.jpg

Nibs Outdoors on Christmas Afternoon

I am thrilled these pens landed in hands that will not only treasure and use them, but will also maximize the wonderment and educational value of these pens through a generous sharing of photos and impressions.

The selfish part of me wishes for such a 3B 149 to play with, but fate has properly brought the pen where it was meant to be all along. Sometimes the journey takes longer than expected, but it work out in the end.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

What a great way to find such little time capsule!

Easily one of my favorite 149 models. Even it resembles the current 149 models on the first view it has many, many little details to discover which differ. Actually not a single part should be identical to their modern counterparts.

The nib is great also!

Enjoy :-)

Cheers

Michael

Tom, I cannot think of a more worthy person to own and use these magnificent pens. Fortune has smiled most deservedly upon you, and all of us are grateful to see these wonderful instruments and the way they write. A very special Christmas indeed! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Wowsa! Thank you for sharing these photos with us.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Cant stop looking at these pics! The condition in which the pens are still in is also something remarkable. Thank you for sharing and congratulations! Now these are truly proper Christmas gifts Tom! Enjoy

149 BBB? Gosh, Tom, that's the cream of the crop. A rare and beautiful find.

It looks magnificent! And it couldn't have gone to a better person.

Congratulations! And best wishes for the holiday season.