Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

fpn_1541994084__20181111_203750.jpg

My first new MB! A beautiful geometric cut Doue.

Inked with Swan Illusion. It seems a bit dry -- some skipping on the down strokes on several different types/brands of paper. Maybe it just needs a flush? Suggestions?

Beautiful pen, Shannon. Give it some break-in period. :-)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Ghost Plane

I'd think it also depends on the size you are writing in (please correct me if I'm wrong). For taking notes at university (daily) I write on checkered paper, so I tend to write quite small (using one line of checkering as one line to write in). Even when writing with an M nib, I sometimes find it too big.

True. I write on college (narrow) rule, not graph.

fpn_1542205239__a_secluded_pathway.jpg

Secluded Pathway

fpn_1542205279__grapevine_gourd_and_gold

Grapevine, Gourd and Golden Ginkgo

~ Autumn is an ideal season for fountain pen use. Not too hot, not too cold, with quiet, cloudy days well-suited to reflective writing.

Any Montblanc fountain pen is enjoyable to use with a favorite ink when trees outside change color before dropping this year's foliage.

The peaceful satisfaction of seeing links, curves, strokes and dots appear on quality paper is never so appreciated as in Autumn.

Many thanks to everyone who posts images of their pens, showing both nibs and handwriting samples.

With a warm cup of honey-lemon-cinnamon tea, it's a pleasure to read posts in the Montblanc Forum and savor the photos.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Posted a review of my most recent additions in the Fountain Pen Reviews section under the heading of Great Grail Face-off. I've pined after the Blue Hour for a very long time and it was definitely worth the wait. Photo's aren't up to much and few enough of them because my phone is so old it will only intermittently communicate with my PC - I guess it's time to admit defeat on that front.

~ Autumn is an ideal season for fountain pen use. Not too hot, not too cold, with quiet, cloudy days well-suited to reflective writing.

Any Montblanc fountain pen is enjoyable to use with a favorite ink when trees outside change color before dropping this year's foliage.

The peaceful satisfaction of seeing links, curves, strokes and dots appear on quality paper is never so appreciated as in Autumn.

Many thanks to everyone who posts images of their pens, showing both nibs and handwriting samples.

With a warm cup of honey-lemon-cinnamon tea, it's a pleasure to read posts in the Montblanc Forum and savor the photos.

Tom K.

+1

I am envious, an apt setting to pen down thoughts especially with special MB pens. :P

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

BB — Yoghurt Brand and 3-42 G Nib

I hear you loud and clear, 'Bold and Beautiful' it is indeed. ;)

A yoghurt named after nib sizes, what will they think of next...

BBB, extra thick and creamy. :D

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Posted a review of my most recent additions in the Fountain Pen Reviews section under the heading of Great Grail Face-off. I've pined after the Blue Hour for a very long time and it was definitely worth the wait. Photo's aren't up to much and few enough of them because my phone is so old it will only intermittently communicate with my PC - I guess it's time to admit defeat on that front.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/341241-the-great-grail-face-off/

fpn_1542777872__face-off.png

~ Uncial:

Your comparison review is so compelling that I've posted the link above, as well as the handwriting sample.

The two nibs, the two inks and your elegant penmanship afford considerable pleasure.

Thank you!

Tom K.

Happy Birthday Tom and Not4Wizard and congrats Shannon!

~ amberleadavis:

Thank you!

On an ink note, the bottle of Montblanc Homer Greek Blue has been so satisfactory for classroom use that A second bottle has been ordered.

It's a pleasant feeling to request another bottle as a direct result of use.

For unknown reasons, my overall monthly ink use rises during colder months.

Tom K.

fpn_1541994084__20181111_203750.jpg

My first new MB! A beautiful geometric cut Doue.

Inked with Swan Illusion. It seems a bit dry -- some skipping on the down strokes on several different types/brands of paper. Maybe it just needs a flush? Suggestions?

~ Shannon:

You're starting at the top with such a lovely fountain pen.

Does it have an M nib? Or...an F nib?

The Swan Illusion accentuates the liveliness of your handwriting.

As meiers has commented, filling it with ink, writing and more writing may resolve the dryness issue you've mentioned.

Thank you for posting this here.

Tom K.

@Ghost Plane

I'd think it also depends on the size you are writing in (please correct me if I'm wrong). For taking notes at university (daily) I write on checkered paper, so I tend to write quite small (using one line of checkering as one line to write in). Even when writing with an M nib, I sometimes find it too big.

~ NotAWiz4rd and Ghost Plane:

In my limited experience there has never yet been any issue with writing on graph paper with nibs of various sizes.

The ‘checkered paper’ mentioned above, i.e. graph paper, is ideal for ordinary note-taking in a one line (one box) size.

Taking the pens inked on my writing desk this afternoon, a comparative sample has been prepared using 6mm square graph paper.

There was no special effort to write within the 6 mm space provided.

Two BB nibs, an OBBB, and the Bespoke Small Signature (= BBBB) all wrote easily in such limited space.

For comparison purposes three very narrow nibs were also used.

Perhaps this visual comparison might suggest that the broadest nibs are, after all, comfortable daily writers within narrow confines.

What's needed is practice and the willingness to adapt to both paper and nib size.

Tom K.

fpn_1542781143__graph_paper_sample.jpg