The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 163 Rollerball

montblanc 163 rollerball fake

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jporos

jporos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 22:10

I would like to buy my wife a Montblanc 163 Rollerball. However, I have read here that this is one of the most faked Montblancs. Can someone tell me what to look for to tell an authentic 163 from a fake?

Sponsored Content

#2 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:18

Unless you are an expert at this, which I am not, look for any obvious issues after you are familiar with how it is supposed to look. Or buy from a trusted member of FPN. (I dropped the bay for anything). If I could afford another MB i would buy direct from MB.

I have one MB I bought second hand which I am 95 percent sure it is real. Still bothers me sometimes but its beautiful and functions well and I have less than $110 in it.

Edited by Studio97, 04 November 2017 - 01:21.

#3 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:07

Purchase from a reliable source. The market is awash in fakes.

#4 jporos

jporos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:31

Thanks Studio 97 and Meiers. Maybe I should just abandon Montblanc as an option...

#5 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:05

I have not used a current MB rollerball pen so I cannot comment on the quality of the current refills but I bought both a MB rollerball and ballpoint in the 90's and found I much preferred writing with the ballpoint when not using the fountain pen. I guess what I'm suggesting is that you go to a MB boutique and write with one to see how it feels.

#6 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:31

I have not used a current MB rollerball pen so I cannot comment on the quality of the current refills but I bought both a MB rollerball and ballpoint in the 90's and found I much preferred writing with the ballpoint when not using the fountain pen. I guess what I'm suggesting is that you go to a MB boutique and write with one to see how it feels.

Yes!!!

#7 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:32

Thanks Studio 97 and Meiers. Maybe I should just abandon Montblanc as an option...

There are lots of alternatives.

#8 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:06

I would like to buy my wife a Montblanc 163 Rollerball. However, I have read here that this is one of the most faked Montblancs. Can someone tell me what to look for to tell an authentic 163 from a fake?

I would buy from a Montblanc boutique / authorized dealer.

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:40

I bought a MB 163, for work, in 1992. Still going strong and an excellent pen. I no longer buy anything new from MB owing to their extortionate prices and suspect service policy, but if you can get one from a reputable dealer, go for it.

Peter

#10 jashley

jashley

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2018 - 21:14

Can anyone tell me if a Mont Blanc Le Grand, bought on ebay. Everything looks good except the Le Grand refill doesn't fit. It takes the rollerball refill like a glove. Seller said I was pitting a 14X refill in a 16X pen. Could that be true? I have never heard of two refill sizes for a Le Grand. I guess it could be but I think I now own a great fake. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, 163, rollerball, fake

Sponsored Content

|