Problem Seating Converter New Aion?

Inferno2Inferno

So as a Lamy diehard, one can imagine that when a shiny new product came out, I could not wait to get my hands on it. In this case, I refer to my purchase of a Lamy Aion from an eBay seller of repute with whom I have purchased other Lamy products in the past. Unfortunately, when the pen arrived today, I found myself with some cause for alarm. I had a spare converter ready to go (the Z27 black converter as listed on the Lamy website as compatible) and found that this pen simply refused to hold the converter in place. It would wiggle around and whenever I tried to fill it, the nib section would fall into the ink bottle leaving nothing but a converter in my hands.

My reason for posting is to figure out if anyone else has had this problem with the Aion or if you think I may be the first person to come across a knock-off.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

"It is the thing itself but the view we take on it that offends us" -Epictetus

peninkgeek.wordpress.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inferno2Inferno

• swampa

• prashant.tikekar

• DrDebG

I have used the converter in my CP1 and no issues to report.

peninkgeek.wordpress.com

I wonder if the cp1 and the Aion, have slightly different size fitments. And the cp1 has slightly enlarged the hole in the convertor

I have an Aion and I can say that my converter - that came with the pen - fits fine. The converter does come standard with the pen so you should not have to supply one. Also, Lamy cartridges fit very snugly as well.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Somehow I doubt that there are already fakes of the Aion. Please do send pictures!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

The converter does come standard with the pen so you should not have to supply one.

Not everywhere. The online retailer I am planning to get said it's optional and costs around 3 to 4 euros extra.

I wonder if the cp1 and the Aion, have slightly different size fitments. And the cp1 has slightly enlarged the hole in the convertor

Both take Lamy proprietary cartridges and converters. So there should not be any difference in nipple diameter.

Here are some pictures of the pen and the fit of the converter.All I had to do was wiggle the grip and out the converter came.post-123950-0-98635500-1509764916_thumb.jpgpost-123950-0-81421200-1509765034_thumb.jpg

peninkgeek.wordpress.com

Not everywhere. The online retailer I am planning to get said it's optional and costs around 3 to 4 euros extra.

Hi Deborah, Prashant, et al,

Yes. The converter is optional here in the State's, too. :angry:

So, in the final analysis, the Aion costs as much as a Studio in most countries. You bought yours in Germany, Deborah; I guess over there, they are included.

- Anthony

Hi Deborah, Prashant, et al,

Yes. The converter is optional here in the State's, too. :angry:

So, in the final analysis, the Aion costs as much as a Studio in most countries. You bought yours in Germany, Deborah; I guess over there, they are included.

- Anthony

Hmm. . . that's interesting. I just reviewed the Colorado Pen and Goulet Pen websites, they both say the converter is included.

Perhaps the converter is included and the retailers remove it to make more money. Either that or some retailers are very generous and throw it in.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Hmm. . . that's interesting. I just reviewed the Colorado Pen and Goulet Pen websites, they both say the converter is included.

Perhaps the converter is included and the retailers remove it to make more money. Either that or some retailers are very generous and throw it in.

Maybe some are very generous and throw it in and others aren't? -_-

Sorry, I don’t understand posts that have “did I buy a fake” in the title. Buy your pens from a reputable supplier, maybe someone who advertises here on FPN.

There seems to be an underlying need to save a few dollars. I have found a relationship with someone like, say, Goulet or Peyton Street, to be far more rewarding. And I never have to wonder about the authenticity of my purchases.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

You bought the pen from a reputable eBay seller with whom you have previously had dealings. And the model is new, having only been on sale for a matter of weeks.

The pictures you posted don't provide enough detail to be tell one way or another, but on balance it seems more likely that the pen is not a fake.

As to the converter not fitting, I don't know. Perhaps you just got unlucky in this specific instance, the pen being at one extreme edge of aceptable tolerance and the converter being at the other extreme?

If you try another converter and/or a standard Lamy cartridge and they don't fit securely either, then I would approach the seller about returning the pen as faulty.

Pictures look fine to me - just compared with mine. Out of interest, have you looked inside the nib section to where the feed ends and inserts in to the converter/cartridge ? Could there be something in there preventing the converter connecting properly ?

Hi Deborah, et al,

Hhhmmmmm... it gets more interesting still,... the Goulet page, (which I have had bookmarked... waiting for its release), has been changed... evidently, it is included now, but it was listed as optional last week... (or the week before :unsure:),... the photo has also been changed to include the converter.

I guess Lamy has decided to make it standard here, too, and is shipping them out that way, (which means their release must be imminent - maybe Monday :puddle:), but that's a recent development.

That's more like it, for a pen in this price range.

- Anthony

EDITED to correct text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Pictures look fine to me - just compared with mine. Out of interest, have you looked inside the nib section to where the feed ends and inserts in to the converter/cartridge ? Could there be something in there preventing the converter connecting properly ?

There is nothing in the feed that would indicate a blockage. I swapped out the converter with others and the issue was the same. Currently, the eBay merchant is corresponding directly with Lamy on my behalf to see what is up.

peninkgeek.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

So as a Lamy diehard, one can imagine that when a shiny new product came out, I could not wait to get my hands on it. In this case, I refer to my purchase of a Lamy Aion from an eBay seller of repute with whom I have purchased other Lamy products in the past. Unfortunately, when the pen arrived today, I found myself with some cause for alarm. I had a spare converter ready to go (the Z27 black converter as listed on the Lamy website as compatible) and found that this pen simply refused to hold the converter in place. It would wiggle around and whenever I tried to fill it, the nib section would fall into the ink bottle leaving nothing but a converter in my hands.

My reason for posting is to figure out if anyone else has had this problem with the Aion or if you think I may be the first person to come across a knock-off.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

I edited your title, as it is highly unlikely that there is a fake for a new metal bodied pen with a new design nib. The old title would unjustly frighten members.

In cases like this the most important question is: Did you use the pen with the original cartridge that came with the pen? Do remember that C/C pens are basically cartridge pens, and a converter is not the original way to use the pen.

Many modern converters give problems in many brands.

What I would do is first use the original blue cartridge. If this seats properly and works without problems, I would mark the cartridge where is enters the sleeve of the section.. Then remove the cartridge and mark your converter at the level the cartridge is marked. Then seat the converter again. Now see if it loads up to the mark. If it doesn't, there is your problem.

If it does load up to the mark, try the converter again in the CP1. There is a chance the mouthpiece of the converter has cracked.

Obviously, if the cartridge too does not seat properly, run back to your seller as something is wrong, possible a broken proboscis/stylus or whatever you want to call that thing that pierces the cartridge.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~