My Hunt For A Parker 51

surprise123

OP > Hmmm, you are indeed somewhat constraining yourself with that budget. I can understand and appreciate that though.

Yeah, you can make finds but then you also have to do the legwork to make up for the limited budget. I have made plenty of finds from flea markets, for example a Parker 51 Aerometric with a ridiculously fun & wide stub for 3€ (That was a sumgai yeah...).

So you really should go and check local boot sales, flea markets, antique stores etc. The hunt is part of the fun :)

Also, give Craigslist a go. Maybe post an add there? Any older relatives that might have used a Parker 51 at one point or the other? Pester them also. ;)

If you want a Parker 51 that will write without too much fuss and bother get an Aerometric one, those are built to last. Vacumatics are nice too but they do need servicing every 5-10 years to replace the rubber diaphragm inside (they tend to deteriorate all by themselves). This applies to 99,99% of the ones you find in the wild, most have been unused for decades and will need work. Disassembly and maintenance of the vacumatics can be carried out by anyone who has done some research on the topic, it does however require special tools and parts etc. which cost a pretty penny (esp. the tools).

Aerometrics are more of the "flush a few times, fill with ink and you are good to go" type, that is unless they are completely stuck with dried ink (even then very much salvageable but require a bit more work).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• Glenn-SC

• georgeb

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry I haven't had been able to reply to anyone, I've had some applications in school I had to take care of. I'm really sorry I was vague about what I was asking, but a lot of you guys gave me some really good advice. Thanks for helping me out!

OP > Hmmm, you are indeed somewhat constraining yourself with that budget. I can understand and appreciate that though.

Yeah, you can make finds but then you also have to do the legwork to make up for the limited budget. I have made plenty of finds from flea markets, for example a Parker 51 Aerometric with a ridiculously fun & wide stub for 3€ (That was a sumgai yeah...).

So you really should go and check local boot sales, flea markets, antique stores etc. The hunt is part of the fun :)

Also, give Craigslist a go. Maybe post an add there? Any older relatives that might have used a Parker 51 at one point or the other? Pester them also. ;)

If you want a Parker 51 that will write without too much fuss and bother get an Aerometric one, those are built to last. Vacumatics are nice too but they do need servicing every 5-10 years to replace the rubber diaphragm inside (they tend to deteriorate all by themselves). This applies to 99,99% of the ones you find in the wild, most have been unused for decades and will need work. Disassembly and maintenance of the vacumatics can be carried out by anyone who has done some research on the topic, it does however require special tools and parts etc. which cost a pretty penny (esp. the tools).

Aerometrics are more of the "flush a few times, fill with ink and you are good to go" type, that is unless they are completely stuck with dried ink (even then very much salvageable but require a bit more work).

No chance of any family members. I hail from China, so any mention of fountain pens takes them back to math competitions... you can see why I gave up trying to find their pens...

I may be wrong, but I read the OP's post as though he wanted an upgrade to a used Parker 51 for a budget of $40. He wanted the used Parker 51, in addition to his currently owned TWSBI, and only in his last sentence did he mention Chinese copies (of the Parker 51). He never mentioned that he wanted to consider any other pen. :unsure:

I'm very sorry if I was vague in my question. I am, in fact, on the hunt for only P51 styles because it's just such classic. I do consider other pens, it's just that I want a P51 as a workhorse pen. For now... :rolleyes:

So where has the OP gone? He is not seen particiapating in the discussion after his opening post. Does he still want a "51"?

I fact, I've been thinking it over for a while and have come to realize that while I do like Parker 51s, I found to like the style of that pen more. I will be going to my local flea market soon, and I'll see what I can find.

Edit: YES! Right after posting this, I found a great deal on eBay for a banged-up '51 Special from a reputable dealer. Score! Thank you guys so much for the help!

Edited by surprise123

The only 51 I have is a 51 Special. I paid something like $46 on ebay for it. Deliciously wide nib. I think the posting was as a medium. Personally, I think it is wider. Cosmetically, it is a 60 year old pen and has some scratches. But it is a good pen. I flushed and filled. Until sometime in the last few weeks it was almost continuously inked without issue. And I didn't use it all the time. Perhaps a few times a week.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have found P51's at flea markets and antique shops for $2 - $10 [ just at the right place at the right time ]

You will find one.

I have found P51's at flea markets and antique shops for $2 - $10 [ just at the right place at the right time ]

You will find one.

I too have found P51's in antique shops but often times the seller knows nothing about the pen and is trying to get the most out of a frankenpen or just an "antique fountain pen." Just be careful while looking in the "wild" for the allusive P51!

Edited by JWil

"My wife will probably kill me if I drag her to another antique store looking for FP's......."