My Hunt For A Parker 51

surprise123

So I have been meddling in the world of fountain pens for 2 years now and I'm due for an upgrade. I want to buy a used (obviously) Parker 51. The tricky thing is, my budget is $40. Could anyone tell me where I could find usable P51s for that price? I don't care about the look, the P51 just seems so practical instead of my TWSBI. No offense against TWSBI, but their pens just make me feel nervous.

Also, I've heard about Chinese copies. Are they worth the money? Some people have said they're ok to use as an add pen. Thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• Glenn-SC

• georgeb

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My advice would be to save a little more until your budget will pay for a good usable Parker 51 in good condition, having said that I have just looked on ebay.com on your behalf and there is at least one Parker 51 in your budget

Edited by Beechwood

I agree, if you can save just a touch more you will find your possibles on eBay greatly increased. It is possible to find them very inexpensively though... I was the only bidder awhile back on a quite useable Burgundy Special for $19 :) Keep looking, you'll find one.

And I would rather have an old beater Parker 51 than ANY of the Chinese copies... personal opinion, ymmv.

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I agree you should save a bit more for a P51. Right now there is one advertised in the FPN classifieds for $50.00 (not mine).

You might be able to buy a good one for $40. but you may end up with one that needs work. I am confident that I won't be able to buy a good one for that price.

If you know what you are buying, you may get one for $40 or even less but with patience. Plus you should have parts in your parts box. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

The 21 Super is a decent pen. I have a few that I got under $15. I think prices are higher now. The plastic is not as durable as a 51's plastic, but the pens I have have not developed cracks. The plastic is fairly old, though. I believe the nib is the same as the nib in a 51 Special, Octanium, a steel alloy. The colors in the 21 Super are a sweeter red, blue and green. The black is, well, black. I used a green set for a year or so in the 1990s. It is a sweet blue green.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Why dont you start off with a P-45. They run between $25 and a high of $75 for the exotic ones. You can get a very nice pen with gold nib for $45-$50. Lately Ive Been buying P-45 Flighters (Stainless Steel body and cap)

There are still parts out there for the 45s, so you can buy a fixer-up and make yourself a nice pen.

The P-51 is not a one size fits all pen. There are many, many configurations that you need to be aware of before you start putting money down. Refurbished Aero MK1 with new sac go for an average of $125 for one in a common color with lusterloy cap and nib. Gold nibs, fancy caps, rare colors, and vacuumatics all stretch the pricing limits.

P-51 Aeros with a good plyglass sac, straight from the estate sale table, can need a little work and be had cheaply. I would suggest that you do your homework first.

P-21s are wonderful writers. They have a different nib than the 51, and the plastic is different and subject to cracking..But every so often, some new old stock pens show up for auction at pretty cheap prices.

I can see that you have been bitten by the same bug that has bitten the rest of us...😉

Good luck, and happy hunting. Be sure to come back and show us pics when you find a pen that you fancy.

The pen you want often appears when you least expect it. This is my latest acquisition after a lot of searching and a bit of luck.

post-108126-0-55281800-1509772923_thumb.jpeg

I think that the very fine example shown in the pic validates the original OPs request for a Parker 51 at a price he can afford.

My suggestion is to accept no alternative, if there is something that you want keep to your guns, if you buy a Parker 45 or a Parker 21 you will still want a Parker 51.

Save up a little more.

Fuunny how often this is true 'Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed.'

Edited by Beechwood

Yes, go for the P51. It may cost a little more than your budget though. But as beechwood said after spending money on either the P45 or the P21 you would still want a P51 and on the other hand you would be left with budget thinner than the one you have now after that (45/21) purchase.

Happy hunting.

Khan M. Ilyas

Why do people feel compelled and justified to recommend some other random pen when the OP asked about a specific make and model? :wacko:

Save for the "51".

So I have been meddling in the world of fountain pens for 2 years now and I'm due for an upgrade. I want to buy a used (obviously) Parker 51. The tricky thing is, my budget is $40. Could anyone tell me where I could find usable P51s for that price? I don't care about the look, the P51 just seems so practical instead of my TWSBI. No offense against TWSBI, but their pens just make me feel nervous.

Also, I've heard about Chinese copies. Are they worth the money? Some people have said they're ok to use as an add pen. Thoughts?

There is no substitute for a P-51.

My advice is not to rush into buying something that may turn out to be not really what you wanted. There are still good 51`s out there and a good one is worth waiting for. I have seven which were all found at flea - markets (not sure what you call them in USA). $40 might not buy you a good one these days, but try the Dutch Internet auction site CATAWIKI. Most weeks there are 51`s there. It`s a good place to find them because for some strange reason, older Parkers are not very popular with Europeans. It`s a safe site to buy from as the seller doesn`t get paid until the buyer is satisfied with the goods.

Meanwhile you could find a beat - up 51 and practice taking it apart so that you don`t ruin a good one in future!

Hope you find one soon.

Best regards,

NEV

Sounds like my story a few months ago XD

I'll tell you this now, best you save up a little bit. I looked everywhere for a Parker 51 with only 35$ in my budget, but nobody will sell for that price unless the condition is so bad that you have to get it restored.

I recommend you read what you can find online about the 51. When you have some knowledge of the configurations, you can make a better choice, and you will be able to recognize any bargain that might come along. Patience is always worth cultivating.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Patience is indeed your friend. Keep looking for your perfect Parker 51 and one day you will be rewarded. :)

in an effort to keep this thread on a polite and even keel, please read again the op's original comments, and we might just see why there was some discussion on pens other than 51s. :)

It's obvious the op is not yet in possession of a 51 - so on what are they basing their criteria that this is a must have pen - obviously not personal experience.

Oh, you say, well doesn't everyone laud that model as possibly the worlds most iconic pen - yes, we know they do, but the op seems to want one only on the basis that ... "the P51 just seems so practical instead of my TWSBI". On that basis we might recommend half a dozen pens that people would argue are equally 'practical' - and hence the suggestions of optional brands/models, which might in fact be purchased for sums less than would be required to buy "usable 51s".

51s are generally excellent pens, many models of which have acquired an expensive cult status, and I now have something like 20 examples and wouldn't part with a single one.

I hope the op has the patience to wait - perhaps save a few more pennies - and eventually find a 51 that is suitable - they won't be disappointed, but in the meantime consideration of optional models that are equally practical does no harm.

in an effort to keep this thread on a polite and even keel, please read again the op's original comments, and we might just see why there was some discussion on pens other than 51s. :)

It's obvious the op is not yet in possession of a 51 - so on what are they basing their criteria that this is a must have pen - obviously not personal experience.

Oh, you say, well doesn't everyone laud that model as possibly the worlds most iconic pen - yes, we know they do, but the op seems to want one only on the basis that ... "the P51 just seems so practical instead of my TWSBI". On that basis we might recommend half a dozen pens that people would argue are equally 'practical' - and hence the suggestions of optional brands/models, which might in fact be purchased for sums less than would be required to buy "usable 51s".

51s are generally excellent pens, many models of which have acquired an expensive cult status, and I now have something like 20 examples and wouldn't part with a single one.

I hope the op has the patience to wait - perhaps save a few more pennies - and eventually find a 51 that is suitable - they won't be disappointed, but in the meantime consideration of optional models that are equally practical does no harm.

I may be wrong, but I read the OP's post as though he wanted an upgrade to a used Parker 51 for a budget of $40. He wanted the used Parker 51, in addition to his currently owned TWSBI, and only in his last sentence did he mention Chinese copies (of the Parker 51). He never mentioned that he wanted to consider any other pen. :unsure:

The only discussion "on pens other than the 51" was of a "TWSBI", which made the OP nervous, and "Chinese copies" of the "51", whose "worth" was questioned.

Edited by Glenn-SC

So where has the OP gone? He is not seen particiapating in the discussion after his opening post. Does he still want a "51"?

Khan M. Ilyas