Conway Stewart Universal Pens

PenHero

Here's another interesting Universal Pen, the 464.

24778948318_979f118b52_b.jpg

The 464 is the shorter pen at the top of the photo, while the lower and longer pen is a 479.

In 1932, the 464 (despite being smaller) sold for the same price as the 479, at 5/-.

The nib is a #1, and the trim gold plated.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• friedrichwild

• Conradandhispens

• PenHero

Just found, wrong nib, (I have some nice cs nibs to use), needs clean, but this model 464M is quite rare, no? Note this is a clipless pen, sorry my ipad photos are almost 2 meg, not allowed.

Edited by eaudom

A plain black Universal with box, signed by Mr Selfridge on the instructions, with his home address.

464M, found in flea in Spain, non original nib, otherwise nice...uncommon?attachicon.gif image.jpg

Yes, I would have thought these pens are quite uncommon, eaudom. Very nice find, and thank you for sharing. :thumbup:

A plain black Universal with box, signed by Mr Selfridge on the instructions, with his home address.

Hi Parkette. The pen doesn't look like a 'Universal' pen. Can you tell us the inscription on the barrel? It looks to be 'The Conway Stewart'? This, and the triple bands, would make it a more up-market pen.

The box belongs to another range of CS pens. The 'International'. Model Nos 350 and 356 would be examples of these.

Whatever, the pen, box, and papers look to be in superb condition. Very nice. :thumbup:

Hi Parkette. The pen doesn't look like a 'Universal' pen. Can you tell us the inscription on the barrel? It looks to be 'The Conway Stewart'? This, and the triple bands, would make it a more up-market pen.

The box belongs to another range of CS pens. The 'International'. Model Nos 350 and 356 would be examples of these.

Whatever, the pen, box, and papers look to be in superb condition. Very nice. :thumbup:

Seems like your are having a personal attack on every post I make.

I will leave you to it and butt out.

Seems like your are having a personal attack on every post I make.

I will leave you to it and butt out.

Hi Parkette. Far from it, and so sorry you take it that way. If the fountain pen is a Conway Stewart Universal, it is a CS Universal. If it isn't, it isn't.

I have never seen a Universal pen with three cap bands. So, to find one, would be a rare thing. The barrel inscription with the model number, would confirm that it is a Universal pen.

Please stick with it, and we might learn something.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but i have another pen to add to this, ill post pictures soon. it is a BCHR clipless conway stewart universal num. 350, quite uncommon and a very nice pen. i'm also looking at purchasing a num 492 with 2 gold bands so i may have that to post if i pick it up.

I know this thread is old but i have another pen to add to this, ill post pictures soon. it is a BCHR clipless conway stewart universal num. 350, quite uncommon and a very nice pen. i'm also looking at purchasing a num 492 with 2 gold bands so i may have that to post if i pick it up.

Hi Conrad, I for one would dearly love to see photos of your 350. It's a huge coincidence, but I'm using a 350 myself at the moment. :)

If you have a 350 that's marked as a "Universal" then you probably have something unique. :thumbup:

The 350 isn't normally marked "Universal" as it's one of the "International" range. Another International model, and maybe a little more common, is the 356.

If you check the barrel inscription the first line should read THE "INTERNATIONAL" PEN, if it doesn't and it reads THE "Universal" PEN, then you have something special.

If it reads "INTERNATIONAL", It would be really good if you started a new thread with you photos, for Conway Stewart "International" pens. What do you think?

The "Universal" (that's what this thread is dedicated to), the "International", along with the "Scribe" ranges, were aimed at the lower priced end of the market, while "The Conway Stewart" designated pens were more expensive, higher end pens. I believe the 492 is one of these. A tell-tale would be the two bands. A lower end pen had one band, if that.

Any questions, just ask.

Really looking forward to your photos...

Malcolm

yes, sorry about that for some reason I remember the pen saying universal, your right it does say international, ill show some pics anyway because im trying to improve my photography :)

fpn_1588989929__20200509_140120313_edite[/url]

fpn_1588990023__20200509_140019312_edite[/url]

yes, sorry about that for some reason I remember the pen saying universal, your right it does say international, ill show some pics anyway because im trying to improve my photography :)

fpn_1588989929__20200509_140120313_edite[/url]

fpn_1588990023__20200509_140019312_edite[/url]

Superb. Thanks Conrad. Looks to be in a lot better condition than the one I have.

Thanks for the share.

Do you have many Conways?

Superb. Thanks Conrad. Looks to be in a lot better condition than the one I have.

Thanks for the share.

Do you have many Conways?

yes it is probably the nicest condition pen I have. I do not have many conways, my collection consists of the 350, a num 12, a num 286. I have some broken / parts conways too, a num 15, and another num 12, both missing clips and nibs.

How about yourself, do you have many conways?

thanks and stay safe. :D

yes it is probably the nicest condition pen I have. I do not have many conways, my collection consists of the 350, a num 12, a num 286. I have some broken / parts conways too, a num 15, and another num 12, both missing clips and nibs.

How about yourself, do you have many conways?

thanks and stay safe. :D

Yes, I have quite a few. My first CS was a 286, and that has remained my favourite model.

You have quite a good spread there. Early clipless BCHR 350, pre WWII stalwart 286, and a post war 12. :thumbup:

Yes, I have quite a few. My first CS was a 286, and that has remained my favourite model.

You have quite a good spread there. Early clipless BCHR 350, pre WWII stalwart 286, and a post war 12. :thumbup:

Yeah Id love to grow the CS collection a bit though, I think I may focus on collecting CSs after trying most major pen brands. my first CS was a 15, which I sold not long ago. I haven't replaced the sac in the 286 but its my favorite out of CS I have, it's just so pretty.

Thanks for this highly educating thread. Just recently, I got a very nice pen and pencil set in marbled green (looks like celluloid to me). The pen has a faint imprint reading

"THE Universial PEN"

Conway Stewart London

No. 479

The excellent imprint on the mechanical pencil reads

"NIPPY"

Conway Stewart London

Here are some pictures:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm not a CS expert and thus can say very little about it. I'd guess that both were sold as set because the material is very consistent among pen and pencil. They look 1930s to me but someone here for sure will know more about the manufacturing years. I didn't pull the nib because it wasn't necessary. Thus, I can't tell the exact size but it looks around #1 or #2 to me. Very nice writers, indeed. :)

• 8 months later...

Great to see this thread revived. I really enjoy my small collection of 'British' manufactured pens. The nibs are full of surprises to a novice user.

But one mystery I have yet to solve is with my Conway Stewart 479M 'Wood grain'. None if the information I've found so far mentions that the 'feed' is also 'wood grain'. It looks really unusual being the first one I've ever seen.

Mallymal1, do you have any history of the wood grain feed model?

I can attempt a photo in the coming days but would really appreciate any comment. I also have an 'Onoto' in the same wood grain colour. It seems to have been widely used.

Cheers, Gary

πTom

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, Grove said:

Great to see this thread revived. I really enjoy my small collection of 'British' manufactured pens. The nibs are full of surprises to a novice user.

But one mystery I have yet to solve is with my Conway Stewart 479M 'Wood grain'. None if the information I've found so far mentions that the 'feed' is also 'wood grain'. It looks really unusual being the first one I've ever seen.

Mallymal1, do you have any history of the wood grain feed model?

I can attempt a photo in the coming days but would really appreciate any comment. I also have an 'Onoto' in the same wood grain colour. It seems to have been widely used.

Cheers, Gary

Hey, Gary. Apologies for the Huge delay, but I've just found this post.  

Checked through some 'Wood Grains' and found that all of them...Empire 129, 200M, 286M x 2, 466M, 475M...have matching wood grain feeds, with one exception, and that is a 479M which has a plain black one. 

This made me smile. I suspect that the black feed is a replacement, and that the Wood Grains should all have matching feeds.