The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My Two Beat Up 18K Sonnet Nibs... Worth Recovering?

sonnet 18k

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 17:53

When I didn't know better and had zero patience, I managed to mess up my two Sonnets; I have since bought two steel nibs and they are working very well, but just realized those two old nibs are 18k... I wouldn't try to improve them myself, that's what messed them up in the first place, so I would look for a nib meister... Is it worth it? I'd end up getting (used?) sections, barrels and caps (and a feed!), I do quite enjoy my Sonnets now, with nice ink and paper... A bit of wax on the caps to stop the evaporation :lticaptd: ... And a lot more patience.

I remember them being a lot more messed up, they don't look that bad now, but are very scratchy and bent... I have an aversion to gold but appreciate gliding nibs.

fpn_1509644580__img_3888.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

#2 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 21:59

I was going to say that they don't look so bad. 18k nibs are probably worth fixing, at least touch them up on a buffing wheel with some tripoli.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 00:41

The nibs don't look as if they are creased or bent.  Some light polishing would improve the appearance.  Align the nibs. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,981 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:33

I was going to say that they don't look so bad. 18k nibs are probably worth fixing, at least touch them up on a buffing wheel with some tripoli.

Thanks!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#5 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,981 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:34

The nibs don't look as if they are creased or bent.  Some light polishing would improve the appearance.  Align the nibs. 

Thanks, I'd rather have them looked at by someone who knows what they're doing...

B. Russell

#6 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 13,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:28

Thanks, I'd rather have them looked at by someone who knows what they're doing...

Also, consider the nibmeister estimate and investigate new nib cost, to see which is greater.  Dutchpen, a member here, has sold these nibs at $35 to $45 in the past, for 18K nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:38

Perfectly good nibs to tinker with. Had they been mine I would have long been done with them. :)

Edited by mitto, 03 November 2017 - 07:40.

Khan M. Ilyas

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:39

Perfectly good nibs to tinker with. Had they been mine I would have long been done with them. :)

+1. Me too. Scratchy nibs aren't that difficult to adjust when you have a nib smoothing board and a bit of time and patience.  :D

#9 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 13,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 16:43

If these nibs have been bent, you will be able to see residual effects of it.  I would not spend the kind of money a nibmeister would charge to fix something that wil always look damaged, unless the repair cost goes well up, for a more involved repair.  Mitto's suggestion of saving them for tinkering is appropriate.  Sometimes people get a hankering to send something to a nibmeister to get into the game.  I suggest you choose something else for that.  It is possible to find 18K Sonnet nibs at prices less than you find from high priced sellers.

Edited by pajaro, 04 November 2017 - 04:33.

#10 georgeb

georgeb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:53

If they are "very scratched and bent" as you say I recommend taking pictures from the underside, the sides, and the top with a different background and post them here.  I would like to see more detail.

#11 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,981 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 17:43

If they are "very scratched and bent" as you say I recommend taking pictures from the underside, the sides, and the top with a different background and post them here.  I would like to see more detail.

fpn_1509817224__both_sonnets.jpg

fpn_1509817254__sonnet_1a.jpg

fpn_1509817280__sonnet_1b.jpg

fpn_1509817298__sonnet_1c.jpg

fpn_1509817329__sonnet_2a.jpg

fpn_1509817355__sonnet_2b.jpg

fpn_1509817376__sonnet_2c.jpg

B. Russell

#12 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 18:05

Buy a plastic nib block from David Nishimua, get a couple/few burnishing tools (like a smooth butter knife handle), then practice on CHEAP steel nibs.

Learning to straighten a nib is very hands on, "try and see what works," then keep experimenting.

After a few months of practice on steel nibs, then you might try your hand at one of the gold nibs.

Enjoy the journey

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#13 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:04

The tines of the nib on the right (in the first photo) are bent sideways as well not aligned as shown in picture 6 and 7. And hence need some serious skillful ministration to first straighten and then align the tines. Yet, I don't think a nib block would be needed to work on this nib.

The other one (on the left in the first picture) looks fine except that there is a little un-noticeable dent on one of the tine but the tines look too tight together. A little misalignment is also seen (in picture 4). If you can pry the tines apart a little bit and then adjust the tines, the nib would be ok.

I see that the feed on one of the nib unit is broken. How come?

Best.

Edited by mitto, 05 November 2017 - 03:29.

Khan M. Ilyas

#14 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,981 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 20:50

Buy a plastic nib block from David Nishimua, get a couple/few burnishing tools (like a smooth butter knife handle), then practice on CHEAP steel nibs.

Learning to straighten a nib is very hands on, "try and see what works," then keep experimenting.

After a few months of practice on steel nibs, then you might try your hand at one of the gold nibs.

Enjoy the journey

Interesting, thanks!

B. Russell

#15 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,981 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 20:52

The tines of the nib on the right (in the first photo) are bent sideways as well not aligned as shown in picture 6 and 7. And hence need some serious skillful ministration to first straighten and then align the tines. Yet, I don't think a nib block would be needed to work on this nib.

The other one (on the left in the first picture) looks fine except that there is a little un-noticeable dent on one of the tine but the tines look too tight together. A little misalignment is also seen (in picture 4). If you can pry the tines apart a little bit and then adjust the tines, the nib would be ok.

I see that the feed on one of the nib unit is broken. How come?

Best.

Erm, because... Very clumsy and with zero patience? I'm still clumsy but have learned to take it easy. It gnawed so much at my conscience I eventually got another section and a steel nib with its own feed.

B. Russell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sonnet, 18k

Sponsored Content

|