The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Fake Mistake.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Education is important...But fountain pens are importanter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 14:56

Ok, so, A good while back, maybe 2 or more years ago, I spotted a pen that I liked which was quite a different shape to the norm, and really caught my eye.

Anyway, at that time I was sticking to Brands that I knew (Jinhao, Baoer) and had been 100% successful with, so I didn't buy it, as it was a Fuliwen, and I knew absolutely nothing about Fuliwen.

Fairly recently I was engaging in one of those late night, 1 eye shut, fountain pens under $5, browsing sessions on ebay China, when I happened upon this pen.

fpn_1509633389__greta_1.jpg

I remember thinking, "OOh, there's one of those fuliwen numbers from before but in black and white, and its only $4 or so, I'll be having that". And I ordered one.

Now, In my defence, I know absolutely nothing about Mont Blanc pens, other than what a 149 looks like, and that the John Lennon pen that I looked at in The Pen Shop had a price tag that made my eyes water, therefore Mont Blancs are not a brand on my radar, and, the listing never mentioned MB or had any MB references in the photos, therefore, You can imagine my dismay when I opened the package to find that my expected Fuliwen was in fact, a full blown Mont Blanc Greta Garbo counterfeit.

fpn_1509634351__greta_2.jpg

fpn_1509634405__greta_3.jpg

I didn't even know such a pen existed, and to be honest, when I bought it, I never even realised it had a pearl on the clip.

But a fake it is. Right down to the snowflake in the cap, counterfeit nib, and Greta Garbo signature on the cap band.  :(

So! If you find this pen listed, simply, as A Greta Garbo pen.

DO NOT BUY IT, AS IT IS AN ILLEGAL FAKE/COPY/COUNTERFEIT.

It's such a shame, as if it had just been a Fuliwen, and branded as such, and not an illegal counterfeit, it would have been really nice pen, but hey, I don't do counterfeit, so, I reported the seller, and consigned the pen to the pen case, never to see the light of day again.

And now to find the "genuine" Fuliwen.   ;)

Ian

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

Every cloud though,  If there was no rain, there’d be no RAINBOWS.

My top tip:-

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

Sponsored Content

#2 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:28

Ian,

For quite some time, some items being offered have been "place holders" for faked goods with some sort of "nudge nudge wink wink" understanding. As an example: you might see a listing for a Rolex-like watch with a different brand on it, but when it arrives it's a full-on counterfeit with full Rolex markings; I do not doubt for a moment that it applies to other products as well, including pens.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#3 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 15:03

I fully understand Seele, and I'm normally quite observant of such things, but,
For some reason this one slipped through my net. :D

Auld age maybe.

Ian

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

#4 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:34

Meh, report the seller, and if made to return the pen, do so, but if not...

Enjoy it, in whichever way you do (modify it, use it as a knock about pen, etc.). You have it now so you may as well enjoy it. :)

#5 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 18:39

This seems to be a different sort of case if it was not falsely advertised as a Montblanc, but falsely advertised as a Fuliwen. And maybe it is an actual Fuliwen in manufacture. Or a Fooly-When, indeed. 

Were it me, if I understand the circumstances correctly, I would find it oddly amusing. I would also test it to see how it writes & if it works fine I would use it. (I would also bring it to the attention of my pen club just for fun & a point of information.)

Showing it here satisfies several things, including the service of an alert.

Knowing something is a counterfeit reduces the the deception of a counterfeit. I think then it is more a curiosity.

Edited by LanceSaintPaul, 07 November 2017 - 18:42.

#6 otblue

otblue

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:48

Is it actually a counterfeit or is it assembled from left over parts made for a OEM manufacturer with a few off site parts as needed.

"Made in Germany" labelling is almost meaningless if you look at the legal standards required though admittedly the Germans have tried to tighten up a bit lately..

#7 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:04

I fully understand Seele, and I'm normally quite observant of such things, but,
For some reason this one slipped through my net. :D

Auld age maybe.

Ian

Ian,

Among watch enthusiasts who really want to get the watch exactly as advertised, they often contact the seller saying a wrong watch had been shipped; the seller would apologize and offer to send the correct one gratis: both parties know exactly what's going on, of course, but everything's left unsaid. Perhaps you should do just that?

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#8 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 15:27

Is that a real pearl on the clip :)

#9 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 16:45

Hahaha
Aye, a plastic pearl bead. :D

Ian

#10 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 16:49

Is it actually a counterfeit or is it assembled from left over parts made for a OEM manufacturer with a few off site parts as needed.

"Made in Germany" labelling is almost meaningless if you look at the legal standards required though admittedly the Germans have tried to tighten up a bit lately..

It is definitely a counterfeit Montblanc Greta Garbo and quite a common fake at that.  :(

flying-letter-exc.png

#11 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 14:48

the weirdest thing, to me, is that you like this design

but hey, we're all weird!

Did you try to write with it at all?

#12 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:02

Saw a real one in the flesh at last night's meeting of P.E.N.S. More attractive in person than these pictures. IIRC the gripping section was chrome, not gold colored.

Still not for me, but much more attractive than repulsive. I can't say that for any number of MB LE's. Although I will say I have been surprised by the number of LE's I do find of merit. Perhaps I should start a gift list here....

#13 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:23

the weirdest thing, to me, is that you like this design

but hey, we're all weird!

Did you try to write with it at all?

Hahaha

I don't particularly, it's far "curvier" and a bit girlie looking for me, whereas the Fuliwen wasn't/isn't.

I hadn't intended using it, but I inked it up today just out of curiosity, and the thing actually writes very well.  :lol:

Ian

#14 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 14:03

There is one sure thing that means a Greta Garbo FP is a fake: The breather hole in the nib on the authentic version isn't round: It's heart shaped. So it's easy enough to see if there's a picture.  :)

Also the authentic trim goes with the authentic nib. i.e. it's platinised NOT gold

flying-letter-exc.png

#15 FrankH

FrankH

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 20:10

There is one sure thing that means a Greta Garbo FP is a fake: The breather hole in the nib on the authentic version isn't round: It's heart shaped. So it's easy enough to see if there's a picture.  :)

Also the authentic trim goes with the authentic nib. i.e. it's platinised NOT gold

Another clue is that it cost less than $5. :D

#16 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 22:20

Indeed that is the biggest clue.  :D

flying-letter-exc.png

#17 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:24

This comment made me laugh out loud....thank you  :) 

#18 Lajos

Lajos

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:22

Hello I'm a newbie. I bought a mont blanc pen from this site. I later discovered it was a fake a very good fake it even has a red glow when a strong light it shined through the black resin which apparently proves it's not a fake!!! But it is!!! I've contacted on two occasions but had no reply!!

#19 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:08

It is actually a counterfeit. The authentic Greta Garbo doesn't come with GP trim

flying-letter-exc.png

#20 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:14

Hello I'm a newbie. I bought a mont blanc pen from this site. I later discovered it was a fake a very good fake it even has a red glow when a strong light it shined through the black resin which apparently proves it's not a fake!!! But it is!!! I've contacted on two occasions but had no reply!!

There are many such sites set up every day to take advantage of people. They are not all set up for selling fake Montblanc pens either. What's worse is that they can often take your payment details and you can lose more than the value of the fake pen that you bought.

There is no point in trying to make contact to tell them the pen is a fake, because they are already well aware of this.

flying-letter-exc.png

Sponsored Content

|