The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

2018 La Pen Show

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 21:16

For what it's worth - it seems a splendid notebook - I think the price seems reasonable. I hope you will find your way to using it - perhaps one day you may even consider it a bargain (though a more expensive bargain).

If your budget gets stalled by it & you feel pinched I would imagine you could sell it & recoup the cost. I'd be interested (don't take that as a solicitation, however) and I'm sure many others here would be interested as well. So you could fall back to that if need be.

Thanks also for your report - I'm always interested in what's going on at pen shows - especially ones (many) that I am not able to attend.

I must add that having now looked at the Musubi website you seem to have gotten a show price - if I'm getting this correct that same notebook is $115 - so it was a relative bargain. Oops I see that is in Singapore dollars which comes to more or less what you paid. Still the quality says "Worth it!"

One more point is that price is before shipping and they prefer to use DHL which would be relatively expensive AND will likely come with an added charge for duty - whether it is actually due or not. This all adds up to if you need to sell it you can get all you paid for it out of it and the buyer would still be getting a discount from what the website price would be in total.

Love the dragonfly cover.

Take up writing Haiku!

I got two, whitle dragonfly and blue owl journals. Really nice :)
Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Sponsored Content

#102 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 21:41

Funny story, though: The seller said the notebooks were $18-19 depending on the cover fabric. I bought one. Then I got a text from my credit card company asking me if the charge was legit, and it became clear that I'd misheard him. They're not $18-19. They're $80-90. Oops.  :blush:  I was too embarrassed to try to return it. It is a really gorgeous notebook and sounds like a great company, but... oof.

Early in December I went to an invitation-only party/sales event at a home furnishings store where I'd recently made a big purchase, and I was positive I heard the manager say twice - once to me and once to another customer - that that evening they were offering 50% off full-price items. My mind went racing, trying to justify to myself what huge list of items I was about to purchase. But just to be safe, I asked a person standing next to me the 2nd time, 'Did she just say 50%?' and the person laughed and said no, 15%. 

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

#103 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 22:27

I will try describing what my experience at the show, hopefully in concise fashion.

I went on Friday and Saturday.

First of all, I am a little introverted, so I usually have a hard time introducing myself to people I dont know. However thanks to Kimberly whom I met at SF Show last year, she guided me to become more social and eventually I started talking to people. I guess, after all, we are there for the same things... pens. Once I engaged in conversation, I enjoyed every second :) Everyday passed so fast.

On Friday, I immediately went to Mike Masuyama-san to get some nib work done for my Aurora Mare and Montblanc 262. Aurora Mare, like many other Aurora pens, had feedback and the medium nib was a tad broad for me. Montblanc was in a good condition but was a very dry pen. Mike did amazing work and made these pens into dream pens. We chatted while he was working on the nibs. Mike explained to me why my pens were not working perfectly so that I understand if the same thing happens to other pens. Really great person.

I talked to Darrel at Musubi after that, who sells premium journals, hand made by artisans with incredibly beautiful fabrics mainly from Japan. He is really polite and you can tell his great personality. First thing he did was to hand over one of the journals to me and asked me to feel the journal. I immediately realized the quality of the journal. I decided getting the one with the blue dragonflies on off-white background.

Then, I went to talk with Lisa and Brian Anderson. I watch their podcast every week on YouTube. I feel like I know them well, but I knew they wouldnt recognize me...they probably meet thousands of people at each pen show. I love wrist watches too and Brian just got this beautiful watch with Urushi dial, so I went up to him and asked if I could see his new watch. Brian showed me his watch and we started talking about watches, cars and pens. Lisa joined the conversation too. As you see in their podcast, they are wonderful people. Sure they are there to sell pens but they dont put any pressure on you to buy. Instead they try creating relationship with each person and they know their pens. I was originally planning to get Sailor 1911, but ended up getting a beautiful metallic blue Pro Gear Slim with Music nib.

After that, I went around and chatted with new and old friends. I met Jason and Richard who are amazing people. Usually I leave the show right after vendors start closing their booth, but Jason invited me to a dinner among SF Pen Posse group. I had a really nice dinner at Tin Roof Bistro, with nice conversation with pen friends. Fantastic evening...

Next morning (Saturday), I went back to talk to Lisa and Brian. What fun people they are. I didnt buy anything then, and I walked toward to get out of the big room, and Will from redeem pens called my name. I started chatting with him, he had some vintage pens collection. He is one of the Dallas Pen Show organizers. Wonderful man with beautiful heart. As he explained to me the pens, one pen caught my eyes. It had a sticker in Japanese that said Pilot and Stub. It was a Pilot Custom 67 with factory stub. I tested it really wanted it. Will gave me a deal that I couldnt refuse.

Then I went to Franklin Christoph. Audrey and Jim are always friendly. They dont put a pressure to buy their pens either. I guess if you have conficence in your products, you dont have to push people to buy. There was the last piece of Model 45 in Italian Ice, was calling me to get it. Once a pen calls you, you have to get it, right?

One of my missions this time was to sell one of my pens for the first time. I went to John Corwin to see if he can give me some recommendations of who to go to. He then asked me to show my pen. I had a vintage flex pen. He took a look at the pen and offered me what I had in mind. I was trying to aim for the price I didnt take a loss. With what I got, I went to John Stroeders booth. I was recommended a while ago to visit him. He is a really nice person. Right away, I knew I could trust him. He had a warm aura. I probably have used the word nice 100 times by now, but I am being honest. Pen people are nice! I saw this silver Waterman 412-1/2 that I just couldnt resist. Maybe I was grinning while I was testing this pen.

After that, I went back to Musubi and got another journal. By that time, I was only focusing one chatting with friends as I ended my days at the show. I finally met jonszanto. Once again, a very nice person. You can just tell by talking to him. I must be doing something right to meet all these wonderful people.

Because there were not too many people on Friday and Saturday, I was able to chat with many people. Making new friends is one of the most valuable things for me. At my age it is so hard to find new friends I can trust and can be frank. I had such a wonderful time at the show. Hope I can save up to go to SF show this Summer :)

Attached Images

• 32A765D4-097E-431D-B7D2-78BA98691FA4.jpeg
  • 7B07FFA3-B1A4-4EF4-8CEB-CD74F88EB699.jpeg
  • 4CD8520C-0167-4D00-86AB-C40AA51EBEAD.jpeg
  • F26799AF-E36C-4F2E-AB13-DD3B03EB5205.jpeg
  • 0DBB76AF-4408-4713-914B-961B9723BDF2.jpeg

#104 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 22:34

tgoto:

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

#105 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 22:40

tgoto:

I am glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for reading my long write-up :)

#106 aardvarkbark

aardvarkbark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 00:33

tgoto:

Ditto.  What a fun read.

Selfishly and horribly unrealistically, I would have preferred if Mike stayed home and worked on the five pens of mine he has!

#107 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 00:58

I was there Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday, I volunteered to help FPN's own Amberlea Davis give a seminar on inks.  I was one of two people in charge of handing out papers, and pens preloaded with inks for everyone in the audience to try.  Monteverde donated pens for the event, and they also provided a free bottle of ink for every attendee.  Amberlea gave a great presentation with lots of humor mixed with some great advice on ink, paper and nib selection to suit your individual style.

I did the bulk of my shopping on Saturday; I purchased a modern Eversharp Skyline from Syd at the Wahl-Eversharp booth, as well as inks and pens from Anderson Pens.  I managed to find one of the electric blue TWSBI Eco-T pens at the Dromgoole's booth, which was fortunate because the blue ECO-T has become scarce at the usual retailers.

I also managed to get some work done on some pens with nib issues.  Straits Pen fixed up my Rotring 600 fountain pen; it turned out all it needed was a good cleaning in the ultrasonic bath.

Sunday was spent mostly cruising the floor during public day and picking up the odd deal here and there.  I bought an assortment of dip pen nibs, some pen cases, and of course more inks.  The Yafa booth was doing their demos and swab samples of Monteverde ink, so I picked up some more new colors at show prices.

Despite the upheaval from the hotel renovation, I had a great time at the show and for me it was a success.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 20 February 2018 - 00:59.

#108 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:04

Ditto.  What a fun read.

Selfishly and horribly unrealistically, I would have preferred if Mike stayed home and worked on the five pens of mine he has!

Thank you!
Oh I hear you...is it something like three-month wait on the nib work from Mike these days? (Or longer?)
He is so popular...

#109 Ecriveur

Ecriveur

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:32

The hotel renovation-related delay was annoying.  People were hours late getting into the room on Thursday because of it.  Obviously that's the fault of the hotel, not the convention organizers, and it's hard for the hotel to estimate these sorts of things with perfect precision, but it was still annoying.  But once people got in and get set up, things were pretty much like they were in prior years, which is to say definitely a show you want to attend if you're interested in fountain pens and located in Southern California.  I didn't get any pens this year - for some reason dealers don't seem to want to bring XF nibs to these things - but I picked up some interesting inks, a pen case and a few other accessories.

#110 pw1224

pw1224

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:11

Saturday, I volunteered to help FPN's own Amberlea Davis give a seminar on inks.  I was one of two people in charge of handing out papers, and pens preloaded with inks for everyone in the audience to try.  Monteverde donated pens for the event, and they also provided a free bottle of ink for every attendee.  Amberlea gave a great presentation with lots of humor mixed with some great advice on ink, paper and nib selection to suit your individual style.

I did the bulk of my shopping on Saturday; I purchased a modern Eversharp Skyline from Syd at the Wahl-Eversharp booth, as well as inks and pens from Anderson Pens.  I managed to find one of the electric blue TWSBI Eco-T pens at the Dromgoole's booth, which was fortunate because the blue ECO-T has become scarce at the usual retailers.

I also managed to get some work done on some pens with nib issues.  Straits Pen fixed up my Rotring 600 fountain pen; it turned out all it needed was a good cleaning in the ultrasonic bath.

Sunday was spent mostly cruising the floor during public day and picking up the odd deal here and there.  I bought an assortment of dip pen nibs, some pen cases, and of course more inks.  The Yafa booth was doing their demos and swab samples of Monteverde ink, so I picked up some more new colors at show prices.

Despite the upheaval from the hotel renovation, I had a great time at the show and for me it was a success.

Oooh, I was at that seminar and I LOVED it!  You guys were awesome.  It was a terrific team effort.  THANK YOU!

I have one question about the Monteverde pens:  there was one that I thought was labeled, "Tine".  It was not a flex nib; it was firm.  It was more fine than the pen that was labeled, "Extra Fine."  When I asked about it at the Monteverde desk, the folks there had no idea what I was talking about.  I tried looking through the Monteverde online catalog but I couldn't find anything remotely similar in description to that nib.  Would you happen to remember what that nib was actually called? 

#111 Ecriveur

Ecriveur

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:57

Darn it, I stopped by that booth but didn't notice those TWSBI ECOs.  I would have grabbed one if I had.

#112 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 17:40

Oooh, I was at that seminar and I LOVED it!  You guys were awesome.  It was a terrific team effort.  THANK YOU!

I have one question about the Monteverde pens:  there was one that I thought was labeled, "Tine".  It was not a flex nib; it was firm.  It was more fine than the pen that was labeled, "Extra Fine."  When I asked about it at the Monteverde desk, the folks there had no idea what I was talking about.  I tried looking through the Monteverde online catalog but I couldn't find anything remotely similar in description to that nib.  Would you happen to remember what that nib was actually called? 

All the compliments can go to Amberlea Davis - she really put together a nice talk.

Regarding the Monteverde pens.  Before the event started, Amberlea, her daughter Eleanor, and I inspected the pens to see which was which, and to make the identifier cards that were passed out with them. 

Monteverde provided five Aldo Domani pens that looked identical, but each had a different nib - EF, F, M, B, and a stub nib.   We did writing samples, and we checked the markings on the pen nibs themselves.

My experience with the F and EF nibs was the same as yours.  The EF actually wrote a little thicker line than the F pen.  I suspect this is just due to manufacturing variation with the nibs, but I can't be sure.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 20 February 2018 - 18:15.

#113 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 17:43

Darn it, I stopped by that booth but didn't notice those TWSBI ECOs.  I would have grabbed one if I had.

I didn't mention the Dark Lilac Lamy Safari I found for $25 (used) at one of the dealer booths on the show floor.  It was even inked with a Lamy Blue cartridge.

#114 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:53

I am glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for reading my long write-up :)

#115 Kessel

Kessel

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:02

Daryl from Musubi here - thanks for the positive feedback in this thread. This was our first time exhibiting at LA and it was overwhelming.

Megan - I do apologise that our pricing was unclear. You were not the only person who couldn’t hear it over the incredible hubbub and eventually we moved to written pricing later during the day to avoid confusion. Going forward we’ll have prices clearly written and displayed at our booth.

Unfortunately, because we were processing credit card transactions rather quickly that day, we didn’t attach full names to each transaction. Since we process through Stripe’s secure system and therefore don’t store payment information, I cannot actually pull your name from the order log to issue a partial refund. What I can do is soften the blow. Please PM me your shipping address here and we’ll send a little something special over.

LanceSaintPaul - we actually ship outbound through DHL because it saves customers money. Our inbound monthly shipment of cloth and paper from Japan to Singapore is outrageously heavy and therefore gives us the volume we need to negotiate a very, very significant discount from DHL for our outbound shipments. DHL charges us less to ship three-day guaranteed than it would cost us to ship by registered airmail. Not much we can do about customs duties, but them’s the breaks.

Thank you all for stopping by at the LA show. We’ll next be at Chicago and will have something to announce re: things that aren’t books.

#116 meganpendragon

meganpendragon

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 22:34

Daryl,

You are too kind! I'll send my address, but please don't do anything that would cause you to lose money on the transaction. The notebook is truly beautiful, and you have a wonderful mission. I'll certainly be spreading the word any chance I get.

Whatever you're announcing in Chicago, I hope you'll announce it here on FPN as well for those of us who can't make it to that show!

Best,

Megan

#117 pw1224

pw1224

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:09

All the compliments can go to Amberlea Davis - she really put together a nice talk.

Regarding the Monteverde pens.  Before the event started, Amberlea, her daughter Eleanor, and I inspected the pens to see which was which, and to make the identifier cards that were passed out with them. 

Monteverde provided five Aldo Domani pens that looked identical, but each had a different nib - EF, F, M, B, and a stub nib.   We did writing samples, and we checked the markings on the pen nibs themselves.

My experience with the F and EF nibs was the same as yours.  The EF actually wrote a little thicker line than the F pen.  I suspect this is just due to manufacturing variation with the nibs, but I can't be sure.

Hmm... It seems like I may have used the Fine nib and simply didn’t read the card. Thank you VERY much!!

Sponsored Content

|