The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2018 La Pen Show

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:43

Jon,

Not that we are worth $65, but Ricky, Farmboy and I will look forward to seeing you when you are in LA!

Fix your work schedule for August so we have more time in to play in SF.

honestly, $65 aint bad for something fun to do for a day... i'm excited to see how it all goes.  Quick question though... are most things in cash, or do vendors have square or similar setups?

Sponsored Content

#42 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:46

I see a lot of cash, and (a total surprise to me) - a lot of checks being written. Hey, it is a older guys game and most of the regulars know each other.  I set myself up to take PayPal credit cards, and no one wanted to pay that way.  I imagine as time goes on, more electronic transactions will be common.

#43 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:51

Not that we are worth $65, but Ricky, Farmboy and I will look forward to seeing you when you are in LA! Fix your work schedule for August so we have more time in to play in SF.

I just ran the numbers: you guys come out to $56.85, so I figure it's close enough. I'll totally turn down the work in August as I have in the past. I usually make my hotel reservations at the "Whatever The New Name Is" in Redwood City as early as possible. I'll catch you for a few in LA, though. Travel safe!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#44 aardvarkbark

aardvarkbark

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 14:01

Has a list of exhibitors been posted somewhere?

Kinda strange to see Delta as a sponsor on the event web site, just as it was to see Omas listed as Philly show sponsor (though I imagine that may reflect Yafa, Kenro sponsorships, respectively?). 

#45 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 23:49

I just received a response back from the show: whether you attend all three days of the non-public show (Thu-Sat), two of them, or just one, they are still going to charge you $65.00.

I am going for a few hours on Saturday and they are going to take the same amount from me that people are paying to be there for three days.

I should go dressed as Gordon Gekko.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#46 aardvarkbark

aardvarkbark

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 00:26

If you were to attend one quarter, one half, or the entire Super Bowl, the ticket price would be the same.

#47 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 00:30

If you were to attend one quarter, one half, or the entire Super Bowl, the ticket price would be the same.

Apples, meet oranges.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#48 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:28

Apples, meet oranges.

Indeed. The Super Bowl is far less interesting!

#49 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:18

Is the only way to register by sending a check to the address? No electronic option? How quaint. 

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#50 aardvarkbark

aardvarkbark

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:26

Apples, meet oranges.

Possibly sour grapes?  The event sets the rules.  People accept or decline.  Or buy out the event and set the rules themselves.  But that's gonna set you back more than $65....

#51 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:29

Possibly sour grapes?  The event sets the rules.  People accept or decline.  Or buy out the event and set the rules themselves.  But that's gonna set you back more than $65....

I don't come from a world view where everyone simply accepts things as they are. Far too many things need changing. This is a small one, but worth pursuing, as I did, and as I will speak to them again. Not to mention it is not like this at all pen shows, and they may eventually lose customers with antiquated thinking.

This will be my sixth visit to the LA Pen Show. (bleep) your sour grapes.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#52 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:44

I just ran the numbers: you guys come out to $56.85, so I figure it's close enough. I'll totally turn down the work in August as I have in the past. I usually make my hotel reservations at the "Whatever The New Name Is" in Redwood City as early as possible. I'll catch you for a few in LA, though. Travel safe!

The pass for LA show was $55 if a check was sent to the pen show office before January 15, which could have saved some.

Having said that, there could be a day pass versus all four-day pass to motivate more people to come. You could get a nice pen for $65 lol

In any case, hope to see you there! :)
Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

#53 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:31

The pass for LA show was $55 if a check was sent to the pen show office before January 15, which could have saved some.

Having said that, there could be a day pass versus all four-day pass to motivate more people to come. You could get a nice pen for $65 lol

In any case, hope to see you there! :)

To the first point: yes, as I've done in years past. This year there was a high probability I would get scheduled for work I couldn't really refuse, so I opted to not pay in advance (it should be no surprise they wouldn't give refunds) and figured I'd save it all if I couldn't go even one day. I'll just pay at the door. I'll probably do my usual "wear a bow tie" so people can find me. I'll be the one that isn't Michael Sull...

~ Benjamin Franklin

#54 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:54

To the first point: yes, as I've done in years past. This year there was a high probability I would get scheduled for work I couldn't really refuse, so I opted to not pay in advance (it should be no surprise they wouldn't give refunds) and figured I'd save it all if I couldn't go even one day. I'll just pay at the door. I'll probably do my usual "wear a bow tie" so people can find me. I'll be the one that isn't Michael Sull...

I agree... it is not surprising that there will be no refund if you decided not to go.

I think many people can find you without a bow tie, but wouldn't hurt...lol

See you there!
Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

#55 pen tom

pen tom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 23:26

Indeed. The Super Bowl is far less interesting!

totally agree

#56 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:25

😂👍🏈✒️

#57 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:48

✒️

Yeah, you don't get it either. If you wanted to attend, say, the U.S. Open, do you honestly think it costs the same to attend one day of matches vs. going for 2, 3 (or more) days? I think not. Obviously, a far more relevant comparison.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#58 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:25

I wonder if the show gives green stamps and validates parking.

My butcher does. You can of course hang out with the cool kids without a badge.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#59 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,091 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:22

I wonder if the show gives green stamps and validates parking.

My butcher does. You can of course hang out with the cool kids without a badge.

I'm considering paying the enormous one-day fee in old bus tokens. As for the cool kids, I'd rather hang out with you.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#60 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 1,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:20

SSsshhhh..  If you show up early, you just walk in. No one seems to notice.  And if you walk in and out like you belong, no on stops you either!  Not that I am advocating for that......

Or, for the price of an icy cold Coke, I will sit at the bar and you can be me for a little while.  

Sponsored Content

|