The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2018 La Pen Show

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 empliau

empliau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 20:08

This will probably be my last year at the show (of a whole three)- I did want to go Friday last year, but those who were there Friday probably remember it rained buckets and here in LA the drivers don't slow down for rain, so in my view driving if you don't absolutely have to is taking one's life in one's hands.  Anyway, I'm hoping to go Friday this year, since it's my last on this coast - I move back to New England late next summer.  (Am also thinking of delaying the move to try to make the SF show, but that is another story).

I hope that there will be a way to find FPN members on Friday - I would love to meet some of you in person!

Sponsored Content

#22 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 20:38

The new space is bigger than the old ballroom but smaller than the old ballroom plus the outside area.  The old ballroom is still there but the show will not be using it.  The downstairs area was completely redone and there is a new ballroom downstairs.  The show will use the new space downstairs by the pool.  The old staircase down from the lobby level to the pool has been removed and filled up creating a much bigger space upstairs and allowing for the new ballroom downstairs.  The organizer has already said that he has fewer tables than the year before.  The hotel renovation was originally scheduled to be completed in January so there's still some work to be done. 

Thanks for complete illumination on this. I know you know which end is up.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#23 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,239 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 00:54

Thanks for complete illumination on this. I know you know which end is up.

It's not that complete.  Lots of things I won't say on the internet.  You'll have to come to a Pen Posse for the info.

2018 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 24-26th, 2018
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#24 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:11

It's not that complete.  Lots of things I won't say on the internet.  You'll have to come to a Pen Posse for the info.

18ztzw8w2zvgspng.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#25 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 19:08

I hope that there will be a way to find FPN members on Friday - I would love to meet some of you in person!

This is good information, I like the innuendo. I just moved to San Diego and am looking forward to my first West Coast pen show in LA. I'm also thinking of going Friday, although I'm not a trader, merely an enthusiast. Empliau, maybe we can get some others together for coffee?
Derek
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#26 empliau

empliau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 20:22

I am up for coffee, but (if your nym has any meaning) can the show take two teste dure together?  My grandparents came from Calabria -

See you on that Friday!

#27 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:11

Funny, no, I'm from Germany originally but hardheaded nonetheless!
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#28 empliau

empliau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:42

Indeed.  Where in Germany? I lived in Berlin for a year, but my German is still terrible.

#29 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 18:55

I just remembered the German word, Dickköpfig. I grew up in Konstanz, on the Swiss border.
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#30 empliau

empliau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 20:58

You'll forgive me, I hope, if I find testa dura prettier.  We are famous (or infamous) for it in Italy.

#31 tknechtel

tknechtel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 16:52

Thanks, Altec. I was wondering what these renovations meant for the LA show. I hate the idea of there being LESS vendors – and last year it appeared that people were scrambling for tables as it was. It's too bad and it's frustrating – but, as everyone points out, it is the only show in town.

#32 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:33

Thick headed?
I work during the week so I go on Saturday. It’s a zoo, but a smaller zoo than Sunday.

#33 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,239 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:54

Thanks, Altec. I was wondering what these renovations meant for the LA show. I hate the idea of there being LESS vendors – and last year it appeared that people were scrambling for tables as it was. It's too bad and it's frustrating – but, as everyone points out, it is the only show in town.

In case people haven't heard or checked the LA Show website.  The show is now back in the upstairs ballroom and foyer area.  The renovations on the downstairs ballroom will not be complete by the time of the show.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#34 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:05

having never been to a show like this before, what can i expect?  Are there people doing pen adjustments and that kind of stuff?  Or is it more vendors and vintage stuff?  I plan on going this year if possible.  Thursdays are my only day off each week, so I was going to try to go then (seems like the first day).  Does that make sense, or is it better to go later on?

#35 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:16

JBroida, if the show is anything like before and what I hear about, you should go Thursday, then go Friday and Saturday, partly because you pay for it, and so you can see more, like what changes overnight. I don't see the point of Sunday.

stolen 8/14/16 SF south of Market https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf24EwNiEy6nfKoep2Gnw8EVFthfPngtNSuSgIrAWRk/edit?usp=sharing

#36 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 17:52

JBroida, if the show is anything like before and what I hear about, you should go Thursday, then go Friday and Saturday, partly because you pay for it, and so you can see more, like what changes overnight. I don't see the point of Sunday.

wish i could... like I said, I work every other day, including the weekends.  Thursday seems like the day for me.

#37 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 18:26

I got the pass, ready to be there on Friday and Saturday.
This year, I want to focus a bit more on meeting and talking with pen friends. (don’t judge me if I ended up with some pens tho lol)

Hope to see you at the show! :)
Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

#38 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,239 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 19:55

having never been to a show like this before, what can i expect?  Are there people doing pen adjustments and that kind of stuff?  Or is it more vendors and vintage stuff?  I plan on going this year if possible.  Thursdays are my only day off each week, so I was going to try to go then (seems like the first day).  Does that make sense, or is it better to go later on?

To get a better idea of what goes on in LA, you can check out my LA show reports that I have done since 2010.  http://www.fountainp...en-show-report/

For your questions, the answer is yes to all.  LA is a bit different than other pen shows.  Thursday will be slow in terms of attendance but bigger deals take place on Thursday.  Many vendors will not even set-up on Thursday (mainly the modern guys).  It will be very vintage heavy on Thursday.  On the otherhand, people will have time to talk and chat. 

If Thursday is your only day, then go to the show.  There probably isn't a good reason to come too early unless you want to see the high end vintage stuff change hands in the morning.

August 24-26th, 2018
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#39 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 4,069 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 22:49

I still can't, for the life of me, understand why showrunners won't allow for a reduced 'trader' rate if one can only attend a single day (or two). I mean, I've gone for 3-4 days before, but this year I really can only get off work for one day, Saturday. And I'm going to pay the same amount as someone who is going the entire time. That sucks, simply put. $65 is a lot to pay to see my friends and maybe buy a pen, but I'll do it.

I mean, they're good friends.

~ Benjamin Franklin

#40 travberg

travberg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:40

Jon,

Not that we are worth $65, but Ricky, Farmboy and I will look forward to seeing you when you are in LA!

Fix your work schedule for August so we have more time in to play in SF.

Sponsored Content

|