The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2018 La Pen Show

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 13:16

Hello, hoping to attend a west coast event after I have visited DC three times. If any one has 2018 details, tips, hints please post below. I have a few details but trying to get a better appreciation of the show and then making some bookings likely in a few weeks. Let me know....thanks,

Mags
Bob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)
I use a RIM PlayBook and a fountain pen.

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 13:27

Hello, hoping to attend a west coast event after I have visited DC three times. If any one has 2018 details, tips, hints please post below. I have a few details but trying to get a better appreciation of the show and then making some bookings likely in a few weeks. Let me know....thanks,
Mags

Have you considered the San Francisco Show?
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:30

Have you considered the San Francisco Show?

Can you share a little about how the shows differ? I'd love to attend a show but I'll be lucky if I can carve out time to attend even one. West coast shows are easiest geographically but I'm not sure which show is best.

Pen shows aside, I'd much rather visit SF than LA.

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 18:45

SF is "the fun pen show"!  Well run, great ink testing stations that I enjoyed even though I am not an "ink guy". The auction was entertaining.  Nice social event Saturday night.

LA is large, and a good show as well. It is President's Day weekend, and Sunday is a bit of a zoo. Attend Thursday to Saturday.

Both are easy access from the airport, and neither is particularly close to the highlights of the cities they are named for... You go for the show and not the city.

If you are craving a pen show - LA is February, and sadly we have to wait until August for the SF show to come around.

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:39

The LA Show went through a change in the administration a couple years ago and it hasn't been the same since. Yes, it is a big show (still, but for how long?) and if you can put up with the BS it might be worth it. OTOH, the trader pass (needed for any attendance before Sunday) is egregiously pricey, and the venue/hotel is going to be doing a major renovation starting the first of the year, so it's anyone's guess what the facilities will be like. The hotel rate is also high, especially for the quality of the hotel. Other plusses are very close walks to food, but who wastes money on food when they could buy pens?

Conversely, the SF Show has been transformed into a very modern show, with a good venue, plenty of both new and vintage wares and lots of activities. They survived a lobby renovation this last August and still managed good business. Definitely the more social of the two shows.

Am I biased? Yes, I really like the SF show and will continue going every year I can. Compare the fact that I drive there from San Diego, usually clocking in at around 8 hours; the LA show is about 2 hours away, and this year I'm considering not even going, that is how discouraging it has become (but, hey, penssss, so I'll probably go at least one day).

SF. Do it.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#6 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 18:26

I was pretty frustrated with the SF show this year.

Probably not going to attend in 2018.

#7 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 3,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 18:36

I was pretty frustrated with the SF show this year.

Care to elaborate? I don't know of a show that is more interested in making itself better than this one, and feedback is an important part. If it was more than just your expectations not met, it could be good info for others to know about.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#8 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 23:44

I prefer not to complain on a public forum.

I can PM you to share my experience if youre interested to hear it.

#9 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

• Member - Gold

• 3,806 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 00:53

I prefer not to complain on a public forum.

I can PM you to share my experience if youre interested to hear it.

I understand and I'll just leave it up to you. My only reason for asking is to offer these issues in dialogue with the organizers, who happen to be my friends. I don't have any need for gossip, etc, just a desire to help make things better. PM me if you are ok with this, I'll understand if not. Thanks!

~ Benjamin Franklin

#10 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 19:18

I'm still looking forward to the 2018 LA show. It's about the people and pens. All the other issues are not insurmountable. I go to the shows because they are great places to gather with other enthusiasts.

Sponsored Content

|