The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Twsbi Classic Metal Ferrule Removal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:45

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying a TWSBI Classic. Unfortunately, these pens have a little metal ferrule at the end of the section. That's a problem for me, as I know from experience restoring vintage pens that metal on sections corrodes over time. I'd like to remove it, and replace it with my own plastic one at a later date (a few years) when I get a lathe.

I know it can be removed by unscrewing the nib unit, but will it go back together well without it? What does it look like when it's off?

Could an owner of one post a picture or two please?

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 effrafax

effrafax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 00:27

Not a starter, I'm afraid: that ferrule holds the plastic sheath of the section in place.  Remove the ferrule and it slides right off.

However, note that the metal is the same steel that the nib is made from: it is unlikely to corrode.  I certainly hope so anyway, since I just bought my first Classic, and am planning on at least one more.

Remember that this is not a vintage pen: materials have improved drastically over the last century, as have ink formulations, which are no where near as corrosive as they used to be.

Buy the pen and enjoy it.  I really like mine ... YMMV!

Cheers,
Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"
Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

#3 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:48

Thanks!

I'm gonna email TWSBI and ask what the ferrule is made of. I know they don't make their own nibs (Jowo does), but that doesn't rule out high quality stainless steel ferrules I suppose

Sponsored Content

|