The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

21 Super: Grease And Cellotape. Looking For New Hoods?

parker 21 super fixing hood pure silicone grease leak

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goncal

goncal

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2017 - 15:17

Hi everyone, I thought I would post here about my very first FP adventure.

I own a few Parker 21's (not sure if Mark I or II, but definitely non-Supers and Supers) and try to use only the ones in worse condition, (admittedly my one and only 61 is on my desk at home). I used to carry my 51 until I found out how valuable it was and it is now in my drawer.

I decided to fix a particular 21 Super with a broken nib using another 21 Super as a donor, the latter having a good F nib but a cracked hood in three places. It was leaking so much ink it was impossible to use (grey hood in the photo attached).

I should have really come here first, alas I just went my own way and after reading up a bit I started looking for stuff like shellac, section pliers, nibs etc and came across Pendemonium. I wrote to them and they very kindly gave me excellent advice on what to do - and not to do.

In particular, after using a hot water bath to remove the hood on both units, replacing the nib and screwing the hood back on it would consistently leak around the clutch ring. I then watched a few more pen repair videos and realised hoods are usually shellacked back on. I thought I would need to do that, but Pendemonium suggested I use pure silicone grease as 21 hoods are notoriously fragile.

I was about to buy grease but realised I have a small tub with watch grade grease I have been using to seal watch back covers for years and decided to use it.

I had already placed the nib in the right angle before screwing the hood back on. However after applying some grease with a brush the hood would screw back on further than before when no grease was used, so I readjusted the nib.

All seemed to be well until I realised the pen was leaking because the hood had developed a crack after screwing it back on! Turns out the grease lubricated the thread so the hood screwing further up, more pressure was actually applied to it so it cracked.

When I was younger I used to fix 21 hood cracks with glue and was mostly successful, of course results used to be aesthetically unpleasant. I already had another 21 Super with a cracked hood in two places which I had 'fixed' by carefully cellotaping the crack and the 'fix' had lasted for over a year so went and cellotaped the newly fixed 21 Super. So far so good, no leaks at all, so much so I will take it on a two hour flight next week.

I wonder if I can buy NOS Parker 21 Super and non-super hoods from anyone? Those are the only bits that need replacing on my dodgy 21's (I did buy a few sacs a few months ago thinking I would need to replace those but I have not needed to).

Many thanks for any ideas and for going through my long post.

Attached Images

• IMG_20171026_100344_hdr_edit.resized.jpg
  • IMG_20171026_094205_edit.resized.jpg
  • IMG_20171025_145133_hdr_edit.resized.jpg
  • IMG_20171025_141738_hdr_edit.resized.jpg
  • IMG_20171027_181839.resized.jpg
  • IMG_20171025_141103_hdr.resized.jpg
  • IMG_20171101_155906.resized.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 pengoddess

pengoddess

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 18:00

Good job!  Pleasure to get to know you.   

Pendemonium
email: sam@pendemonium.com
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

#3 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:03

See here for Parker Super 21 parts.

http://www.dayneswri...es-contact.html
Khan M. Ilyas

#4 goncal

goncal

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 13:23

mitto many thanks for the link, just sent them an email.

pengoddess thanks again.

#5 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 14:50

mitto many thanks for the link, just sent them an email.

pengoddess thanks again.

You are welcome, goncal.
Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 21 super, fixing, hood, pure silicone grease, leak

Sponsored Content

|