PotatoJesus

I have the opportunity to get a used M800 W/ the red and black stripes for under 300 bucks only problem is that it is a Fine nib and I've heard that they write rather broadly which would be an issue because I write on cheaper paper for school. Alternatively, I could just get an M800 W/ green stripes with an EF nib for ~240. I know I could just get the nib ground down but I the most I could spend is 300$ and I know most nib grinding services are ~60$. I really want to get the red pen because it seems like it isn't manufactured anymore but I also want to be able to actually use it for an EDC.

Could someone with an M600 EF nib (what I use currently), an M800 EF nib, and an M800 F nib do a writing comparison? I know Goulet has a nib nook but it shows the 14K EF being thicker than both 18K EF & F so I just want a second source. I might just go for the red M800 because its an awesome deal but I just want to see about much wetter/broader it will be from what I'm using now

Edited by PotatoJesus

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• Bo Bo Olson

• Waltz For Zizi

• JasonF2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fountain Pen Reviews here?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Get.The.Red.M800! Seriously. Hard to come by, out of production, and a steal at that price. Whatever gripe you have with the nib, if any, can be fixed after the purchase. I find writing samples to not always be representative as there is some inherent variability in nib widths. I say try the fine and see how you get along with it. Good luck with your decision.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

So apparently there is a gap between the grip section and the acrylic due to "thinning" should I still go for the pen? Im not sure how to post a picture as whenever I try to link to imgur it informs me ImM not allowed... Im just going to put the part of the link that comes after in hopes that youll be able to get to the page ..... /a/HsbXF

Edited by PotatoJesus

Fountain Pen Reviews here?

I did try to search for some comparisons before posting here but I couldn't find any comparison between models (maybe I havent looked hard enough)

I've never seen that nor heard of it before, and this is a modern pen with modern acrylics, I don't see what would cause "thinning" to create that gap. I have a number of M800's, some of which are over twenty years old with no such issue. I'd ask the seller for further explanation and better photos with closeups.

That said, it's a fantastic price for a pen which is becoming harder to find.

One can just insert the first line of imgur in the text body, and it will show up as a link.

The second line in Imgur....with jpg/something...just click copy and go into the little green box here. Took me quite a while to find that out myself.

Once before '98 the 800 had it's own thinner standard....I'd think the modern fat and blobby 800 nib to be the same width as the fat and blobby 600 nib.

At that price you could always send the nib off to be made as skinny as you want.

Any nib is with in that company's tolerance, but tolerance is wide, a F nib could be fat and if fat enough in tolerance = a skinny M. If on the skinny side =EF or so close you can't tell.

Get the pen, worry about the small stuff later.

How many M or B nib pens do you have? How many F's?

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

One can just insert the first line of imgur in the text body, and it will show up as a link.

The second line in Imgur....with jpg/something...just click copy and go into the little green box here. Took me quite a while to find that out myself.

Once before '98 the 800 had it's own thinner standard....I'd think the modern fat and blobby 800 nib to be the same width as the fat and blobby 600 nib.

At that price you could always send the nib off to be made as skinny as you want.

Any nib is with in that company's tolerance, but tolerance is wide, a F nib could be fat and if fat enough in tolerance = a skinny M. If on the skinny side =EF or so close you can't tell.

Get the pen, worry about the small stuff later.

How many M or B nib pens do you have? How many F's?

Okay I think I understand

Right now I only have 2 pens a Vanishing Point fine and an M600 Extra fine. When I did have more pens they generally where Fine/Extrafine nibs with the exception of a Pilot Metro that was a medium

post-135480-0-05346700-1509534314_thumb.jpg

Edited by PotatoJesus

Pilot medium is = to a western F.....especially with modern Pelikan.

Japanese nibs are made to print a tiny script.....Western nibs are designed for a larger flowing cursive script................so Japanese nibs are one size smaller than Western....German nibs.

Some fine poster was or is doing a survey of thinner than modern German, Parker and Sheaffer nibs and his findings so far are Parker and Sheaffer are closer to Japanese than German.

Semi-vintage and Vintage German pens are also.....in '80-90's Pelikans were narrower than Parker and Sheaffer, and are at least a 1/2 size narrower than modern German nibs.

Yep, rocket science is easy.....

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've never seen that nor heard of it before, and this is a modern pen with modern acrylics, I don't see what would cause "thinning" to create that gap. I have a number of M800's, some of which are over twenty years old with no such issue. I'd ask the seller for further explanation and better photos with closeups.

That said, it's a fantastic price for a pen which is becoming harder to find.

Exposure to heat does that. Especially if the pen is stored for a long time in a place with direct sunlight, like a shop window. I've seen a bollpoint with the same problem.

if the reduced price is not caused by a defect (ask the seller to clearly state whether he is discounting due to a defect because in such case you would be entitle to return the pen - this usually forces the seller to admit any defect) then buy the red M800.

Although it is true that Pelikan F is not too thin it still writes a fairly thin line and it is unlikely to be unsuable even if you would prefer very fine lines.

As your collection grows (it will...it will...) you will find options to fix the nib issue if it bothers you too much, while the same red M800 next year will cost you much much more! Even buying also the green EF, switching the nib and reselling the green F as mint could prove eventually satisfactory..!

This way to the Garden Path.>>>>>>

A Pelikan F nib will give you shading :drool: on 90g or better laser paper....where as EF will not....or not that I've noticed in comparison. You have an EF Pelikan nib, why do you need another?***

****How many F and M Pelikan nibs I have is classified but they are on different pens.....hummm...from different eras......More OB's than B's. Semi-flex of course.

When I came to this com, I went wide...you had gone narrow.

It took me quite a while because of the prejudice I'd picked up on this com, to learn M is a very good nib....a good shading nib.....but is so disrespected by folks that go skinny.or fat in the beginning.

Being wider gives a smooth ride.

It would be way too fat for you right now....but not next year.

F is a good step to M..... :lticaptd:

It don't have to be a fat modern M, could be a skinny 200's M ;) or semi-vintage and or vintage width which is the same width as the 200's.

Wider nibs are better for inks that have sheen. :) ................or glitter inks :thumbup: ....some of which also have sheen. :puddle:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

This way to the Garden Path.>>>>>>

A Pelikan F nib will give you shading :drool: on 90g or better laser paper....where as EF will not....or not that I've noticed in comparison. You have an EF Pelikan nib, why do you need another?***

****How many F and M Pelikan nibs I have is classified but they are on different pens.....hummm...from different eras......More OB's than B's. Semi-flex of course.

When I came to this com, I went wide...you had gone narrow.

It took me quite a while because of the prejudice I'd picked up on this com, to learn M is a very good nib....a good shading nib.....but is so disrespected by folks that go skinny.or fat in the beginning.

Being wider gives a smooth ride.

It would be way too fat for you right now....but not next year.

F is a good step to M..... :lticaptd:

It don't have to be a fat modern M, could be a skinny 200's M ;) or semi-vintage and or vintage width which is the same width as the 200's.

Wider nibs are better for inks that have sheen. :) ................or glitter inks :thumbup: ....some of which also have sheen. :puddle:

I prefer an extra fine to use the pen on cheaper school paper. I dont really mind the extra fine not shading because I dont really care if the ink shades or not

It wont matter if there is a small gab because the bindie itself isnt apart of the piston system right? That's what my main worry is.

It wont matter if there is a small gab because the bindie itself isnt apart of the piston system right? That's what my main worry is.

Yes, but it looks ugly, in my opinion. I personally don't even buy pens if they are scratched, even microscratches bother me. I like my pens fresh, not looking like they've been through war.

Perhaps some day, when you scribble for fun on better paper at home, you will learn to like shading.

If not then Noodler's vivid monotone supersaturated inks are the way to go. Some folks swear by some noodler's inks for poor paper....which I don't know, nor have a need to worry about poor paper.