Pelikan M250 Old Style W-Germany

JPM-10

Lately I received a M250 old style with 14CT OB-nib. A superb writer, but that is not the topic of this post.

I did some research on the W-Germany marking and found that only for a short period of time did Pelikan mark the

products with W-Germany imprinted on the rim of the cap.

In my opinion those pens are more rare then the pens with Germay only, as this W-Germany marking was only done for a short period of time.

(from 1980-1990 as far as I could find)

I know it did not add something extra to the quality of the pen, but nevertheless those pens are more difficult

to find.

What is the genral opinion on this?

Like to read what other member of this forum think about this.

post-113396-0-79325200-1509302407_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-37775000-1509302421_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-99181400-1509302805_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-08263700-1509302829_thumb.jpg

post-113396-0-01179100-1509302842_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• 7is

• MarkTrain

• LanceSaintPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I explored this in the past here; https://thepelikansperch.com/2015/03/19/pelikan-west-german-production/

In short, I don't think that the stamp adds anything other than a novel way to date a pen. Nibs from that period seem to be a little more desirable than later production. To me, the stamp does not impart any additional value to a purchase. Great pen and nib though. Enjoy.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I grew up in Germany during those years and the imprint reminds me of the time when the nation was divided. The marking falls under the category of memorabilia, and has a special value for those who share an interest in the era.

Derek

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

My W.Germany steel nibbed 200 is a slight tad more springy than my '14 K '90-96 (tortoise '84-96, Green '82-97) I also have 14 K regular flex 381 and both a gold and = steel Celebry regular flex nib of that era.

I also once tried a W.Germany 800 that I had for three days, in there are idiots who refuse to mail outside of Germany. I liked the nib, not the clunky pen....would buy one...not the '98 and later nail.

It looks like yours is a non-blobby, thinner semi-vintage regular flex nib....so the nib is OK for a 250...my experience with 250's are nil. It is a M400's nib or yours is.

Later gold ring M400's with fatter blobbier nibs could also be found on 250's....In I remember 250's being sold with in the last decade.

Originally I chased semi-flex....it was the 200's nib being = to my Germany 400 regular flex that opened my mind to the advantages of regular flex. The nib is a touch dryer than semi-flex so is better for shading inks.

If you have an original W.Germany nib....great...it's a slight tad more springy (Have to have a '90's regular flex and frown :angry: a lot while testing your Germany nib.....If it's a later M400 nib put on a black 200.....still good in I find the '90's era nibs nice springy good rides. As mentioned yours is not a fat and blobby modern nib.

There are a number of folks that can't wait to 'better' their 200 with a gold nib... :headsmack: :doh: :wallbash: so they put a semi-nail, fat and blobby 'gold' nib on a good pen, ruining it.....if you want to upgrade your 200 to a 250....do use a a better '82-97 gold nib. :) B)

If all you want is a 'butter smooth gold nib'....modern can give you that....and will make a good stub or CI later. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have 2. A black one & a burgundy one. I bought them on eBay after looking for a short time, about a year apart - both W. Germany. In other words, they didn't seem all that rare to me, but then at times this sort of thing just seems to find me.

I find them humble, but lovable. Two mainstays of my collection, especially in use. I find the nibs comfortably soft - they feel sweet to me and by the second one's arrival I realized I have more than enough nails and want more like this or flexier going forward. Yes, flexier is sexier (or at least more sensual).

Looking at the your pictures, the nib is actually from the '50s as the lines/chevrons touch the slit. From the last photo the feed appears to be an ebonite feed as used on vintage 400's from the '50's and '60's. Although not period correct, the nib is probably much better than what would have normally come with this pen.

Mark

Looking at the your pictures, the nib is actually from the '50s as the lines/chevrons touch the slit. From the last photo the feed appears to be an ebonite feed as used on vintage 400's from the '50's and '60's. Although not period correct, the nib is probably much better than what would have normally come with this pen.

Mark

Good eye on the feed and nib.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Good eye on the feed and nib.

Yes indeed. I'd forgotten that little detail.... Well, mine are both period correct.

real good eye on the feed....I'd not noticed that...

So a semi-flex nib...instead of regular flex. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'll second what everyone else says - W. German don't seem to be any rarer or more expensive than old style German M200/250's. That said I prefer the W. German models because they date a bit earlier and for the curiosity factor.

You've got a great combination with the 50's nib. The earlier nibs definitely have more character, but the feeds can be brittle and the collars need replacing from time to time. Still worth it though IMHO and I haven't had any problems.

There were only a couple years of W.Germany 200's so they are rarer than the 1990-now pens. Just like the W. Germany 800's are rarer than the Germany ones.

You are lucky to have so many to fall into your hands they are not rare.

I'll second what everyone else says - W. German don't seem to be any rarer or more expensive than old style German M200/250's. That said I prefer the W. German models because they date a bit earlier and for the curiosity factor.

You've got a great combination with the 50's nib. The earlier nibs definitely have more character, but the feeds can be brittle and the collars need replacing from time to time. Still worth it though IMHO and I haven't had any problems.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Apart from all the stuff about the nib and so on, the marking W.-Germany is more rare then the marking Germany, so for this sole reason I value the M250 with this marking higher then a M250 with only a Germany marking.

It is the same with cars. Some models are only made for a short period of time. The quality is not better but because of the lower production totals they are valued higher then regular models. Especialy if the years pass on.

So why not this mechanism with a fountainpen??

Apart from all the stuff about the nib and so on, the marking W.-Germany is more rare then the marking Germany, so for this sole reason I value the M250 with this marking higher then a M250 with only a Germany marking.

One way to look at this how many years was the W.-Germany made vs. Germany. The old-style M250 was produced for 12 years (1985-1997) and the change over from W.-Germany to Germany was ~1991, so they were both produced for around the same time. The W.-Germany ones were made in an earlier period, though, so they should be somewhat more desirable.

Not the earlier time, the slight tad more spring to the nib, is what makes it so interesting. A grand regular flex nib.

I'd though the 200 made about '87 like the 800....so am glad to learn I was wrong.('85).....

Now that I find they are not rare.....I do not need another W.Germany 200.................nope..............I shudder at the thought of opening German Ebay and find there is a German Sargetalon, selling his W.Germany collection. :unsure:

I will not buy a black and gold W.German 200....I swore off of black&gold at least 5 years ago.........so only 1/2 the German pens I've bought since are black and gold. :unsure:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I will not buy a black and gold W.German 200....I swore off of black&gold at least 5 years ago.........so only 1/2 the German pens I've bought since are black and gold. :unsure:

I know exactly what you mean, except I'm the opposite. I don't have a black and gold, but am constantly looking for a 250 with a 'special' nib and can never quite commit to one. I figure that because it is a more common colour, the nib needs to over compensate.

I guess I'll have to make sure its a W. German too now.

• 3 years later...

HI 

I am looking at an old Pelikan 250 with a gold broad nib and am very tempted to buy it. It looks a beautiful pen in the picture. I am looking for a broad nib pen to use shimmer inks with for more shimmer. So what is my problem! This will be the 4th pen this month and its only day 4. Is this now becoming an obsession?

A lovely pen.

One thing I've always wondered about the M250, if I have an old style M200 and fit a vintage singletone 14c nib in it, does that make it an M250?...