Leaky Vintage Pens

Uncial

So is there a good thread or Internet page (or better yet, a video) that shows how to set the nib and feed properly? I've checked all over the sacs and there are no issues there that I can see.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• OMASsimo

• Vintagepens

• Pen Engineer

Actually, the proper way to size a sac is to find the size that is an easy sliding fit into the barrel. Measuring the sac nipple shouldn't enter into it at all.

That's actually true and a good list of what to do. I usually avoid "restored" pens and rather do it myself. Often it's more about the outer appearance than the inner values what is sold and what people pay for when buying "restored". I want my vintage pens to work flawlessly as they were meant to. I'm also amazed how people manage to put in the wrong size sac. Just measure the diameter of the nipple with a caliper and take the right # sac from the shelf (or order it). The number is the diameter in 1/64 in. And yes, you have to trim the sac to the correct length of course.

Good luck Unical, just do it right and it will work. It's not really difficult. You are among the smart people who first ask instead of screwing up. :)

Actually, the proper way to size a sac is to find the size that is an easy sliding fit into the barrel. Measuring the sac nipple shouldn't enter into it at all.

Yes and no. Yes, the sac has to slide in easily. And no, this has to do with the diameter of the nipple because manufacturers new exactly what diameter the inner bore of the barrel was and what size sac would fit. So, they made the nipple accordingly. Sacs are generally straight (there might be few exceptions) due to the way they are made. For all the pens I repaired, measuring the diameter of the nipple was fool proof. Do you know any counter example?

I tend to follow OMASsimo and use the largest sac that will slide into the barrel but still stretches over the nipple. Sometimes, because of obstructions in the barrel (J bar/ pressure bar etc) I need to fit a smaller sac.

Yes. In the most extreme examples, the original sacs were necked, and to use a straight sac of the correct size, a bit of scrap trimmed from a smaller sac has to be shellacked onto the nipple first. Not uncommon with early John Hollands.

In the more common instances, sacs of a range of sizes all could fit the nipple equally securely -- 17 to 18, say -- but one size fits decidedly better when slipped into the barrel.

Note that the use of necked sacs was much more common in the old days, and that manufacturers varied in their approach even then regarding how tightly a sac was to be stuffed into the barrel -- not to mention the degree to which a sac was stretched over the nipple. All of which means, the relationship between nipple size and correct sac size is neither fixed nor consistent across models and manufacturers.

Yes and no. Yes, the sac has to slide in easily. And no, this has to do with the diameter of the nipple because manufacturers new exactly what diameter the inner bore of the barrel was and what size sac would fit. So, they made the nipple accordingly. Sacs are generally straight (there might be few exceptions) due to the way they are made. For all the pens I repaired, measuring the diameter of the nipple was fool proof. Do you know any counter example?

PS One more complicating factor: older sacs, especially those in larger sizes, were often markedly thicker than modern sacs. Modern sacs are all dip-molded, whereas older sacs were typically formed in three-part molds (two halves, plus a core).

Edited by Vintagepens

My previous reading of advice here on FPN is that ink leaks follow from air leaks. Sources are as Wahl said or else leakage through the sac, e.g. a pin hole, or inadequate sealing against the nipple. For example, I had an Aurora 88 which needed a bit of pure silicone grease and tightening to stop a leak at the section threads.

Among my vintage pens the only other leaky ones have been a couple of Onotos, which some silicone grease on the piston rod resolved. I routinely leave all my filled pens of any age on their sides when not carrying them around.

I agree, ink flowing out without burping means that the air needs to get into the ink reservoir somewhere else, through an opening, a leak, most likely in the reservoir/sack. B)

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

I tend to follow OMASsimo and use the largest sac that will slide into the barrel but still stretches over the nipple. Sometimes, because of obstructions in the barrel (J bar/ pressure bar etc) I need to fit a smaller sac.

I would suggest not to use the largest sac. The larger the sac, the possible air-volume in the sac, the higher are the compensation requirements on the feed. And the feeds of older pens often have not much compensation arrangements, which makes them leak more readily.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

I would suggest not to use the largest sac. The larger the sac, the possible air-volume in the sac, the higher are the compensation requirements on the feed. And the feeds of older pens often have not much compensation arrangements, which makes them leak more readily.

Would this leakage look like nib creep?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Have your vintage pens restored by Ron Zorn, he did a tremendous job on one of my vac fill Sheaffers and is a top notch fountain pen restorer. A properly restored pen will last you a long time.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time