I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

Is that left one a chinese notebook? I've found some nice, inexpensive, chinese notebooks at a household store last year that was surprisingly good... of course when I went back for more, they'd gone. Still.. I also have some loose leaf of similar paper. A joy to write on.

Sadly, no, it is a pack of loose leaf.

I have not yet tried it out with fountain or dip pens - looking forward to it now with a little less trepidation because of your comments, thank you!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were still no grey Daiso-Hauser pens when I dropped in yesterday, but I see Daiso now has yet another model of fountain pen, which looks like a cigar-shaped Platinum Preppy wannabe with a spring-loaded "Air-Seal" inner cap specifically stated as a feature to, "[prevent] ink from drying even for long periods of time." Made in China, available in four different colours (Pink, Sky, Red and Blue — but given they're numbered 2, 3, 4 and 5, I think there must also be a black variant numbered 1 in the series), comes with two long cartridges of matching ink. The nib width grade is not specified on the packaging, as far as I could see.

Thankyou for checking whether the grey Daiso-Hauser was back. I am certainly looking forward to visiting our store again - having three nearby is unthinkable,

Will you be trying the 'Preppy wannabe'? And review it? I imagine that name is going to stick. :lol:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Will you be trying the 'Preppy wannabe'? And review it?

I was planning on testing this morning the (Sky blue) one I picked up yesterday — yes, I couldn't resist at the 'standard' price for Daiso products — but outside of being woken up by a strange dream (that I can barely remember) at 5AM, which is way earlier than my using rising time, I got distracted placing two more independently eligible-for-free-international-shipping-by-DHL orders with Cult Pens.

Trying not to spend too much (*COUGH*), and avoiding buying stuff I don't even want — as opposed to what I don't need, which is just about everything when it comes to this hobby — while still getting everything shipped to me 'free' is challenging. Let's just say another five (A5-sized) Rhodia Dotpad No.16 notepads are on order, on top of the 13 I've already placed earlier in the week. Amazon UK was offering those (via Amazon Australia, with eligible for free shipping due Prime membership) for about A$5.70 each, as opposed the regular "sold by Amazon AU" price of $6.95, but I could get it from Cult Pens for under A$4 each shipped (and VAT/GST not charged or collected).

But, as I said many times before, I don't do fountain pen reviews on FPN. ;)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

But, as I said many times before, I don't do fountain pen reviews on FPN. ;)

I didn't see that, but fair enough. How about giving an informed opinion? You have already named it 'Wannabe Preppy' it's off to a good start.

Congrats on the dot pads, 18 is impressive and worthy of the thread. I have only managed 3 Daiso Drawing Books, I really must make more effort.

Sadly, no, it is a pack of loose leaf.

I have not yet tried it out with fountain or dip pens - looking forward to it now with a little less trepidation because of your comments, thank you!

Good luck with them & I hope you'll tell us how it turned out. I find that while I do love Japanese paper, some Chinese paper is also excellent, not surprising of course since they've been making paper for long enough... and you can get lucky. Those that I'd found were very inexpensive, and excellent under my fountain pens.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

How about giving an informed opinion? You have already named it 'Wannabe Preppy' it's off to a good start.

I'll take and post some photos, and share some observations about what's immediately apparent.

The biggest issue of all, to me, in relation to how the new pen model is marketed would be whether the cap seal is that effective, compared to the Platinum Preppy/Plaisir/Prefounte (all relatively cheap pen models with that very marketing "claim to fame") and, say, a Sailor Profit Junior (which is sorta the Prefounte's peer in the market, but without a spring-loaded inner cap mechanism); and a Fine Writing International 'Planets series' pen (much pricier, but has such a feature as well as other selling points, including but not limited to being 'eyedropper-able' by design and being fitted with a JoWo #6 nib). Keeping that pen inked on the original fill/cartridge of ink, then checking after every (interval of a) several weeks of inactivity to see if the ink has dried out and/or whether the pen hard-starts, over a period of say a year is simply not what I intend to do, when it'll only cost anyone else (who might be interested) A$2.80 to buy one to test himself/herself and spend (or waste?) effort over six-to-twelve months to discover the answer.

Congrats on the dot pads, 18 is impressive and worthy of the thread. I have only managed 3 Daiso Drawing Books, I really must make more effort.

I already have multiple boxes of Rhodia 80g/m² and 90g/m² notepads bought relatively cheap, not to pad any order in order to qualify for free shipping of other "main course" items per se, but merely because they were offered on clearance by Milligram or Amazon AU. I was actually planning on moving away from using Rhodia 80g/m² paper as part of what I'll be cataloguing. I like the paper, but it doesn't really matter if an ink feathers, bleeds and/or smears on it to the point I won't want to use that combination, and thus avoid the ink for journalling purposes. It's just my de facto choice of paper for having a single common frame of reference (or 'standard' paper type) with fellow hobbyists internationally; I shouldn't choose anything that's Australian-made and predominantly/only sold in Australia, or only in Europe, or China, and certainly nothing that's American-made and common in the US but not anywhere else (possibly not even Canada). Rhodia is just commonplace enough to be sold everywhere, not as bad (though common) as Moleskine, not as inherently restrictive/exclusive as anything marketed as something-pounds in paper weight when the world at large doesn't use or recognise that kind of designation, and not as hype-driven (and pricey to boot) as Tomoe River paper with which I personally am not at all impressed.

Rhodia and Clairefontaine (even though, for very personal reasons, I'm not a big fan of anything French), Leuchtturm1917, Midori MD, Muji and Daiso are therefore my prime candidates, and it seems Rhodia is both very accessible globally as well as not-that-expensive (if you know where to look and buy from).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've been a big fan of Southworth paper for years in laser and inkjet printers (for résumés and such), but have an interesting observation in regard to its behavior with pen and ink.

I recently unearthed a sheet of the 100% cotton ivory 24-lb. wove finish and was dismayed that the butter-smooth performance of my new Fine-point Pelikan M200 was abysmal on this paper. I found the Pelikan was much smoother on cheap legal pads. However, a Medium Parker put down a suitable line on this same Southworth paper.

Wondering if a Broad-point Pelikan would be more appropriate for the Southworth.

Edited by Retro-user

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I feel better about mine now.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Recent purchases. The little notebooks don't count because they are gifts, right?

Gifts.............eventually. I always give away notebooks that disappoint.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

when i was working, everything was on my PC... which was in front of me all day every day. I kept notebooks for various lists and notes from phone conversations... when i retired earlier this year I realized i didn't have a way to track things anymore and started looking at planners again. I recently picked a Quo Vadis Note 21 and it really works well for me... calendars, lists and to-dos all in one place. I'm quite happy to be back on paper again!

Yesterday--found "Pen & Gear Sketch Diary" (4.4" x 8.5", wire bound, perforated blank white sheets) at WalMart. $1.47. Bought one to try and it is fantastic w/fountain pen inks. If anyone's looking for heavy paper (would be very good for letter writing) or a good sketchbook, these are great.

And I couldn't pass up a box of 32 Crayola "Colors of the World" (skin, hair, eye color) crayons.

Does anyone care to opine on what a good retail street price in the USA is for a Rhodia No. 19 (or, if absolutely necessary, a No. 18) dot pad?

Being under Covid House Arrest in Melbourne has an affect on just about every one of us. Friends telling me how desperate they are to be able to breakfast again at their favourite cafe, lunch or dinner at their local restaurant, shop at their local department store, go to their local gym or take a swim at their local pool. They don't quite understand when I say I can't wait to be able to browse at Daiso and see what stationery bargains I can find, wander around Milligram smelling and touching quality stationery, check out the new paper based products at Muji or check out the everyday stuff at Officeworks. Some people just don't get it.

Edited by inkypete

Thankyou for checking whether the grey Daiso-Hauser was back. I am certainly looking forward to visiting our store again - having three nearby is unthinkable,

We dropped by another Daiso yesterday. There seemed to be a rack for the grey Daiso-Hauser, but only one retail unit remained (and now it's inconveniently misplaced behind something else, oops) even though there was still heaps of the blue ones. I might check the other, closer Daiso tomorrow and see if it also got the grey one restocked; but at this stage, I don't think it'd be worthwhile driving >100km to visit a Daiso if a grey Daiso-Hauser is a main item on one's shopping list.

No Preppy-wannabes at all in any colour, and it didn't look like there was any rack space assigned to that product line, in the Daiso I went to yesterday.

I've yet to open up the unit of the sky-blue Preppy-wannabe for testing, sorry; I've been distracted by other things (like relatively expensive electronic devices needing replacement *sigh*) and 'busy' trying to get some final details of my ink cataloguing sorted. I asked my local Officeworks (there are also three of those within walking distance from my place) about the finishing services it offered in the print shop department, but sadly the staff said they can't promise the guillotining will leave perfectly straight edges cutting through two or three 25-sheet pads' worth of mixed media paper! I might see if Kwik Copy can offer me a viable alternative solution, but if not, I guess it's always possible to order Arttec Como Sketch Pads from somewhere and then cut each sheet into swatch cards of the right size (48 cards per A3 sheet) myself, even though I don't like my chances of getting every card to line up precisely without the use of a physical cutting frame.

Edit:

OK, the closest Daiso had four of the grey Daiso-Hauser pens. I bought two, so now I have three 'new' ones in total, including the one that came to me in the pass-around box. @AmandaW Let me send you one of those in the post at my cost; it's probably not worth the time and petrol to drive 130km to your closest Daiso in Perth and still run the risk of not finding any there. I can fit a bunch of ink samples in the same "large letter", too, so let me know what you'd like in that regard.

Edited by A Smug Dill

OK, the closest Daiso had four of the grey Daiso-Hauser pens. I bought two, so now I have three 'new' ones in total, including the one that came to me in the pass-around box. @AmandaW Let me send you one of those in the post at my cost; it's probably not worth the time and petrol to drive 130km to your closest Daiso in Perth and still run the risk of not finding any there. I can fit a bunch of ink samples in the same "large letter", too, so let me know what you'd like in that regard.

Thankyou!!! (Sorry for not responding faster, my email isn't arriving, I have suspected so for a few days - this quoting post not getting to me is final proof.) I would like to try Hero pigment black. And, if you happen to have them, I'm hoping to to try R&K inks Lotte and Kastanienbraun. (Yes, I am still researching brown inks.) Again, thankyou.

I would like to try Hero pigment black. And, if you happen to have them, I'm hoping to to try R&K inks Lotte and Kastanienbraun. (Yes, I am still researching brown inks.) Again, thankyou.

I don't have R&K Sketchink Lotte, but I have a bottle of Kastanienbraun, and several of Hero 234 even after putting an unopened bottle in the pass-around box. If you don't already have R&K Sepia in its standard fountain ink product line, I'll put a sample of that in there as well.

Back to 'stationery'... Amazon just gave me great customer service that's above and beyond even what I've come to expect from a, well, spotty record of product and delivery problems. I've been trying to find the 'best' solution for the ink swatch cards; to that end, I bought a stamp shaped like an inkwell, as well as a couple of pre-inked stamping ink pads, and a bottle of (made-in-USA) stamping ink along with an uninked pad for it. Well, the bottled stamping ink that claims to be waterproof (including on the bottle label) when dry... isn't. Or perhaps it may just take two hours or two months to be considered 'dry', I don't know. Spectrum Noir 'Finesse' water-proof dye — also made in USA — for stamping (which only comes in pre-inked pads, as far as I can see) dries and is waterproof on mixed media paper in under a minute.

Anyway, I complained, and Amazon not only refunded me the bottle of not-so-waterproof stamping ink in full, but the consultant asked whether there was anything else he could do for me 'today' and I answered, "No, that's it, as I don't think it'd be fair for me to ask Amazon to let me return the uninked stamping pad at the company's cost because the 'unrelated' stamping ink product doesn't work as described," he just proceeded to refund me for the stamping pad and only told me after it was done. Never mind all the complaints about how Amazon treats its warehouse and logistic staff (in the US, UK, Australia, or whichever First World country in which the behemoth operates); from the global consumer point of view, Amazon stands heads and shoulders above just about any other retailer with a broad and varied product range today.

An Officeworks find for Australians. These checklist pads are inexpensive and surprisingly fountain pen friendly. I've been using them for a few years and get a little anxious if I have less than a couple of spares. The brand name changed recently, but as far as I can tell are the same product. There are other notebooks in the range that may be good too - I'm trying one with a brown kraft card cover and it's behaving nicely.

fpn_1600090015__checklistpads1.jpg

An Officeworks find for Australians. These checklist pads are inexpensive and surprisingly fountain pen friendly. I've been using them for a few years and get a little anxious if I have less than a couple of spares. The brand name changed recently, but as far as I can tell are the same product. There are other notebooks in the range that may be good too - I'm trying one with a brown kraft card cover and it's behaving nicely.

fpn_1600090015__checklistpads1.jpg

Handy size - will check these out when house arrest is lifted in Melbourne and I can go to Officeworks without being tasered.

I don't have R&K Sketchink Lotte, but I have a bottle of Kastanienbraun, and several of Hero 234 even after putting an unopened bottle in the pass-around box. If you don't already have R&K Sepia in its standard fountain ink product line, I'll put a sample of that in there as well.

Back to 'stationery'... Amazon just gave me great customer service that's above and beyond even what I've come to expect from a, well, spotty record of product and delivery problems. I've been trying to find the 'best' solution for the ink swatch cards; to that end, I bought a stamp shaped like an inkwell, as well as a couple of pre-inked stamping ink pads, and a bottle of (made-in-USA) stamping ink along with an uninked pad for it. Well, the bottled stamping ink that claims to be waterproof (including on the bottle label) when dry... isn't. Or perhaps it may just take two hours or two months to be considered 'dry', I don't know. Spectrum Noir 'Finesse' water-proof dye — also made in USA — for stamping (which only comes in pre-inked pads, as far as I can see) dries and is waterproof on mixed media paper in under a minute.

Anyway, I complained, and Amazon not only refunded me the bottle of not-so-waterproof stamping ink in full, but the consultant asked whether there was anything else he could do for me 'today' and I answered, "No, that's it, as I don't think it'd be fair for me to ask Amazon to let me return the uninked stamping pad at the company's cost because the 'unrelated' stamping ink product doesn't work as described," he just proceeded to refund me for the stamping pad and only told me after it was done. Never mind all the complaints about how Amazon treats its warehouse and logistic staff (in the US, UK, Australia, or whichever First World country in which the behemoth operates); from the global consumer point of view, Amazon stands heads and shoulders above just about any other retailer with a broad and varied product range today.

The differing ranges in Daiso can sometimes be attributed to whether the Daiso is a franchise store or company owned. I know if I go to different Daisos in Melbourne the stock does vary. They explained to me one time the different stock is due to company or franchise ownership.