I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

Because of the uncertain future of Retro 51, I ordered a Retro 51 Traveler Folio in bamboo green. Ive noticed these before in catalogs, but the price was rather high. Found it on yep amazon for $10 less, and impulse got the better of me.

Edited to add, junkie is spot on for this thread. I was not going to get anymore leather notebooks. That is what the Retro 51 notebook is made from. But its bamboo green, and I have bamboo green ink. Aaugh! It just doesnt end.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw an offer from Milligram for Rhodia A4 80g/m² ruled notepads forA$3 apiece, with free shipping included if you clean out its entire stock...

That's actually easier said than done. I've placed two orders of 24 units each — that being the minimum number I need to buy to make the free domestic shipping threshold while getting the maximum effective discount (i.e. has to be a multiple of 3, due the current "buy 3 clearance items for the price of 2" offer) — and both orders have been fulfilled in full.

The parcel for the first order has been received today, and it weighs nearly 13kg. I'd hate to think how much Australia Post charges Milligram as a high-volume business customer to deliver that!

Just for the hell of it, I went back to Milligram's web site and put 240 units into the shopping cart, and the system seems to be prepared to accept an order for that number of units. After a bit of trial and error, it appears that its online shop platform thinks there are 472 units remaining in stock, as of three minutes ago.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I feel like I should begin these posts, "Forgive me fellow stationery junkies, for I have sinned..."

So, bought three more personalized journals from the Graphic Image Winter sale and used the Cult Pens coupon to stock up on Rhodia paper pads, Pelikan refills, and try some new inks. It's been a stressful few months, but this is not a healthy coping mechanism. :wallbash:

Well, at least I resisted the Pelikan M600 and K600 violet set.

I feel like I should begin these posts, "Forgive me fellow stationery junkies, for I have sinned..."

So, bought three more personalized journals from the Graphic Image Winter sale and used the Cult Pens coupon to stock up on Rhodia paper pads, Pelikan refills, and try some new inks. It's been a stressful few months, but this is not a healthy coping mechanism. :wallbash:

Well, at least I resisted the Pelikan M600 and K600 violet set.

...one of those journals would be perfect to break-in your new violet M600... ;) :P

The Retro 51 Traveler arrived. It is 3”x4” maybe a bit more than 4”. I read that in the listing, but was still a bit surprised. Should not have been.

Now I have to think about replacement pads for it. Retro 51 refills are in packages of 5 refills. How many should I get, that is the question.

Posted Image

...one of those journals would be perfect to break-in your new violet M600... ;) :P

I've made a deal with myself that I won't buy anymore fountain pens until I sell off the ones I'm not using and repair the ones that are broken. Which is probably why I've gone nuts buying journals, papers, and inks this month. :doh:

I've made a deal with myself that I won't buy anymore fountain pens until I sell off the ones I'm not using and repair the ones that are broken. Which is probably why I've gone nuts buying journals, papers, and inks this month. :doh:

Theres always a plan B.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Alas, I went by my brick and mortar stationary store today and it is GONE. Quill and Pen in Acton, MA, has closed permanently. They still have a store in Florida but that is too far to drive even for Clairefontaine. The owners were running the MA and FL store, commuting between them. Then they got an offer on the building. It was convenient for me, only a couple minutes out of the way on a route I travel often.

Bob Slate is still open in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA. B.S. did have a store in Porter Square, but that is closed.

My Pad and Quill order came today. I ordered a mid sized leather cover notebook which is about 7x9" as well as a full size leather padfolio that takes a regular 8.5x11" pad.

Here they are together.

fpn_1582224636__together.jpg

fpn_1582224755__together_2.jpg

Here's the medium sized notebook open. Hard to tell if I like it more than my OneStar book, time will tell! I do like that it's got card pockets on the inside. Why people still give me business cards in 2020 I don't know, but they do and now I have some place to put them. (Assuming I don't go back to my soft and well broken in OneStar book)

fpn_1582224844__6x9.jpg

here it is against my OneStar cover. It's only slightly taller, but just about maxed for width and height. It's a little lighter with the notebook inside than my OneStar with it's Leuchturrm book, but there are a lot of factors at play there including years of absorbed skin oils in the black cover. (Gross, I know.)

fpn_1582224952__compare.jpg

The full size padfolio was the real score and I'd been sitting on this purchase for a while. I genuinly like that there are imperfections in the leather. It's heavy, feels solidly constructed and I know I'll get some real use out of this at work. Collier is on top for size reference.

fpn_1582225171__8x11.jpg

My disappointment is that the pen loop is too small to easily fit my Lamy 2000, which is my default stealth meeting pen. It fits the GVFC barrel well, but anything wider than that is a struggle.

fpn_1582225244__8x11_2.jpg

Lamy 2000 squeezes in securely, but doesn't tuck into the loop all the way.

fpn_1582225296__8_x_11_3.jpg

Anything sized similarly to the M800 won't even fit inside the folio. I wouldn't trust it not to fall out walking around.

fpn_1582225344__8x_11_4.jpg

Aside from the small circumference pen loop I'm happy with the construction and look of these accessories. As I said the mid size book probably won't permanently usurpe my OneStar cover, but the full size pad is getting put to use at my very next meeting.

Those leather portfolios are gorgeous! :wub:

My Cult Pens order just came with Rhodia 90g cream, Rhodia 80g white pads ,and a pad of the 100g Crown Mill to test out. (25 A4 pads of Vellum paper in total!) I may have gone a little over board, but I needed to qualify for free shipping. See, I'm actually saving money. Really.

fpn_1582258042__a4_white_and_cream_pads.

Of course, now I realize the Clairefontaine pads have slightly wider spacing and Goulet has some with stapled tops instead of those glued ones that always fail at the most inconvenient times and dear god please someone stop me!

Oops, Almost forgot about the 10 Levenger Luxe Freeleaf Annotated 100g white letter pads from last week via Levenger's Outlet on eBay. Here's one pack. I do love gilt.

fpn_1582258572__levenger_luxe_pad.jpeg

And I still have three journals on order assuming Graphic Image didn't muck up the shipping despite some weird, contradictory emails.

Thank goodness that Pelikan Violet and White FP/BP set and eleven new bottles of ink arrived just in time. ;)

Wow, I'm such nerd :blush:

Those leather portfolios are gorgeous! :wub:

My Cult Pens order just came with Rhodia 90g cream, Rhodia 80g white pads ,and a pad of the 100g Crown Mill to test out. (25 A4 pads of Vellum paper in total!) I may have gone a little over board, but I needed to qualify for free shipping. See, I'm actually saving money. Really.

fpn_1582258042__a4_white_and_cream_pads.

Of course, now I realize the Clairefontaine pads have slightly wider spacing and Goulet has some with stapled tops instead of those glued ones that always fail at the most inconvenient times and dear god please someone stop me!

Oops, Almost forgot about the 10 Levenger Luxe Freeleaf Annotated 100g white letter pads from last week via Levenger's Outlet on eBay. Here's one pack. I do love gilt.

fpn_1582258572__levenger_luxe_pad.jpeg

And I still have three journals on order assuming Graphic Image didn't muck up the shipping despite some weird, contradictory emails.

Thank goodness that Pelikan Violet and White FP/BP set and eleven new bottles of ink arrived just in time. ;)

Wow, I'm such nerd :blush:

Wow eleven new bottles! I've all but given up on finding new ink I like. My greatest fear is that my two favorite inks will be discontinued and I'll have to sell off my fountain collection and go back to ballpoints. Because that's not an overreaction at all.

I'll have to get a decent pad of paper for my new padfolio. The paper Pad and Quill ships with is quite good in terms of thickness, but definitely not Rhodia quality.

"needed to qualify for free shipping". Sounds like a conversation with my wife but at any store.

her "If we by two the other one's half. So we're saving."

me "Do we need two?"

her: "No, but we're saving."

me: "No, we're spending more."

Also me: *knows I've already lost, and probably spent $100 on something stationary related in the last week so who am I to judge?*

Edited by bemon

Wow eleven new bottles! I've all but given up on finding new ink I like. My greatest fear is that my two favorite inks will be discontinued and I'll have to sell off my fountain collection and go back to ballpoints. Because that's not an overreaction at all.

I'll have to get a decent pad of paper for my new padfolio. The paper Pad and Quill ships with is quite good in terms of thickness, but definitely not Rhodia quality.

"needed to qualify for free shipping". Sounds like a conversation with my wife but at any store.

her "If we by two the other one's half. So we're saving."

me "Do we need two?"

her: "No, but we're saving."

me: "No, we're spending more."

Also me: *knows I've already lost, and probably spent $100 on something stationary related in the last week so who am I to judge?*

My favorite question in such situations:

"Can we afford to save so much money?"

My favorite question in such situations:

I've officially stolen that line.

Edited by bemon

I've officially stolen that line.

+1

All this crazy spending has definitely been a weird coping mechanism to counteract my stress from the second life threatening emergency my normally indestructible husband has had in the last two months. Eating junk food and bargain shopping have replaced my usual routine of exercise, time with my horses, and writing as I've just been too damned tired to do anything but stare at a computer screen and click the mouse.

I also bought a second bottle of an ink I already own intentionally, which I normally never do. Pelikan's Edelstein Olivine is a limited edition and an utter perfect pairing with my Pelikan White Tortoise, so what choice did I have?

And everything in the UK seems super cheap right now. Cult pens has those little Diamine bottles for less than $2, the little Pelikan bottles for about $3, and the normally crazy expensive Edelstein inks for about $17. Then the Rhodia pads were only like $6 or $7 each. With no VAT and free shipping , it seemed like a good time to hoard. Because, I need over 200 bottles of ink. For reasons.

Then the Amazon Global UK store had big discounts on that Pelikan Violet set I've been eying. They even have the Stressman M1005 for under $400, but not an EF nib so I restrained myself for once.

And Graphic Image topped it all off by having my favorite journals for 60% off. Of course as soon as I ordered them, they offered free personalization for president's day so I should have held the trigger on that one and saved another $30.

Yah, I really can't afford to keep saving so much money. Also, :wallbash: My brain is still kinda a bag full of cats.

My wife just laughed her head off, and said she's "borrowing" the line as well, pointing at all the boxes of Rhodia paper I bought recently.

Thanks!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Bemon those leather covers are gor-ge-ous!

Thanks to a couple of campus-wide activities I caught up with old friends and met some newcomers. One of my most prominent thoughts was looking at the people but seeing all the notebooks they're going to leave in the rec room at the end of the semester, almost untouched.

Stationery addicts have a one-track mind. :P

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

+1

All this crazy spending has definitely been a weird coping mechanism to counteract my stress from the second life threatening emergency my normally indestructible husband has had in the last two months. Eating junk food and bargain shopping have replaced my usual routine of exercise, time with my horses, and writing as I've just been too damned tired to do anything but stare at a computer screen and click the mouse.

I also bought a second bottle of an ink I already own intentionally, which I normally never do. Pelikan's Edelstein Olivine is a limited edition and an utter perfect pairing with my Pelikan White Tortoise, so what choice did I have?

And everything in the UK seems super cheap right now. Cult pens has those little Diamine bottles for less than $2, the little Pelikan bottles for about $3, and the normally crazy expensive Edelstein inks for about $17. Then the Rhodia pads were only like $6 or $7 each. With no VAT and free shipping , it seemed like a good time to hoard. Because, I need over 200 bottles of ink. For reasons.

Then the Amazon Global UK store had big discounts on that Pelikan Violet set I've been eying. They even have the Stressman M1005 for under $400, but not an EF nib so I restrained myself for once.

And Graphic Image topped it all off by having my favorite journals for 60% off. Of course as soon as I ordered them, they offered free personalization for president's day so I should have held the trigger on that one and saved another $30.

Yah, I really can't afford to keep saving so much money. Also, :wallbash: My brain is still kinda a bag full of cats.

It's a good thing I didn't see this until after I had ordered NINE ink samples.

Two bucks for the Diamine mini-bottles? That's...that's almost sample price!

(And do those little plastic bottles actually contain the same amount of ink as the little Monteverde bottles, because MV looks twice as big and is certainly twice as heavy).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

It's a good thing I didn't see this until after I had ordered NINE ink samples.

Two bucks for the Diamine mini-bottles? That's...that's almost sample price!

(And do those little plastic bottles actually contain the same amount of ink as the little Monteverde bottles, because MV looks twice as big and is certainly twice as heavy).

30 fun filled milliliters each! Cult Pens seems like the cheapest place to buy it, if you can swing the free shipping.