I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

I got a Leuchtturm Pocket size in Port Red, and the Midori 5-Year “Diary” notebook in red today. I have successfully used fountain pens (I love the italic and stub nibs) in Leuchtturm with good success. The Port Red Pocket size will be used for counting birds at the feeders for Project FeederWatch starting in November.

Posted Image

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a Leuchtturm Pocket size in Port Red, and the Midori 5-Year “Diary” notebook in red today. I have successfully used fountain pens (I love the italic and stub nibs) in Leuchtturm with good success. The Port Red Pocket size will be used for counting birds at the feeders for Project FeederWatch starting in November.

Cool. Is your Leuchtturm the 80g/m2 paper? Maybe I just didn't let my ink dry long enough? It's a nice notebook, but not what I'm used to.

I checked and it is 80g/m2. I do not own any MB pens. I write fairly lightly, at least compared to some people I saw at pen club, well and my brother. That might explain the results I got.

Edited to add I wish they had a white paper version.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I checked and it is 80g/m2. I do not own any MB pens. I write fairly lightly, at least compared to some people I saw at pen club, well and my brother. That might explain the results I got.

Edited to add I wish they had a white paper version.

Thanks, I'll give it a try with a F or an XF japanese nib, if I've got one. Though, I think all of my Namiki XF nibs are flex as well.

I think most of my notebooks have cream paper, but I prefer more muted and brown colored inks on the cream. Or maybe it's just grown on me?

I've tried Leuchtturm a couple of times with a couple of years in between and the paper was very ordinary both times. I just keep going back to Clairefontaine for my everyday noters. I love the whole Leuchtturm package but not the paper.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I bought a Leuchtturm A4 a few years ago. It’s dreadful. Only just a step up from Moleskin. I keep thinking that I should give one of their smaller notebooks a chance, but I’ve never gotten around to it.

Yet another Sarah.

I bought a Leuchtturm A4 a few years ago. Its dreadful. Only just a step up from Moleskin. I keep thinking that I should give one of their smaller notebooks a chance, but Ive never gotten around to it.

IMHO the Leuchtturm A5 is a step up from Moleskine but still has shadowing and bleed through depending on the ink and FP nib you are using. I do FP ink tests on the last page to figure which combinations of ink and FP work best.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a massive 11" leather covered journal with 300+ lined pages that not only do I not need, but I don't even know what I will use it for.

Anybody else have weird stress impulse buying habits? At least I used my eBay bucks...

I'm going to try to divert my money into a vacation fund instead of more journals for the rest of the year. I mean it this time.

Now, I'm off to make myself a girlie drink with a metaphorical little umbrella. A Mai Tai? A Grasshopper, Maybe Key Lime Pie Martini? My Scottish ancestors are probably rolling in their graves. At least I have a bottle of Scotch with the family name stamped on the label. Wonder if I'm even distantly related to anyone that actually makes it? Given that at one point they pulled the roof off the family castle (now a ruin, I think) to save on taxes, probably not.

Yikes and my eBay bucks didn't go thru. Grrr! Ordered a second, smaller journal I'll actually use and used my discount. I do hate making stupid mistakes.

I just ordered a massive 11" leather covered journal with 300+ lined pages that not only do I not need, but I don't even know what I will use it for.

Anybody else have weird stress impulse buying habits? At least I used my eBay bucks...

I'm going to try to divert my money into a vacation fund instead of more journals for the rest of the year. I mean it this time.

Now, I'm off to make myself a girlie drink with a metaphorical little umbrella. A Mai Tai? A Grasshopper, Maybe Key Lime Pie Martini? My Scottish ancestors are probably rolling in their graves. At least I have a bottle of Scotch with the family name stamped on the label. Wonder if I'm even distantly related to anyone that actually makes it? Given that at one point they pulled the roof off the family castle (now a ruin, I think) to save on taxes, probably not.

Yikes and my eBay bucks didn't go thru. Grrr! Ordered a second, smaller journal I'll actually use and used my discount. I do hate making stupid mistakes.

If you divert your notebook money to a travel account you will need a new notebook to take on your travels so you better start looking for the notebook first.

"If you divert your notebook money to a travel account you will need a new notebook to take on your travels so you better start looking for the notebook first."

Yes. And while you are considering which notebook will be your travel notebook, you will need to record which notebooks you have evaluated, so you probably need a separate notebook for that.

Anybody else have weird stress impulse buying habits?

Oh my, yes. I was recently strolling around Staples and saw, on sale, some very nice-looking leather-bound pocket notebooks. Checked the paper -- which felt a lot smoother and heavier than I'd expect. And the notebook was half off -- only $4! And, a voice in my head: "My dude -- may I call you 'my dude'? -- my dude, *you do not need a pocket notebook*. You have, *with you right now*, the very nice leather cover you bought, which holds a Field-Notes-sized notebook, a few credit cards, and your Pilot Prera. It's the solution you found which works perfectly -- acts as notebook cover, pen case, and wallet. You have it with you all the time. *You therefore do not need another pocket notebook.* *You are not going to use it.*"

All this was running through my head while I was at the counter paying for it, obviously, but I'd like partial credit for at least *knowing* I was doing something silly. On the plus side, the notebook *does* handle ink fairly well, so even though I don't at all have any use for it, if I did, it would be great.

Edited by thudthwacker

"If you divert your notebook money to a travel account you will need a new notebook to take on your travels so you better start looking for the notebook first."

Yes. And while you are considering which notebook will be your travel notebook, you will need to record which notebooks you have evaluated, so you probably need a separate notebook for that.

When I travel I spend as much time choosing which stationery to take as my wife does over her choices of clothing.

I bought a very, VERY, EXTREMELY (even I am a little ashamed), expensive reed diffuser where the reeds look like pencils and the fragrance is of stationery. I tried to resist, but after waiting 2 months, I couldnt resist. (Will post a pic. when I get a chance)

Now the smell in my study will match whats spread out on both of my desks and in my cupboards.

I bought a very, VERY, EXTREMELY (even I am a little ashamed), expensive reed diffuser where the reeds look like pencils and the fragrance is of stationery. I tried to resist, but after waiting 2 months, I couldnt resist. (Will post a pic. when I get a chance)

Now the smell in my study will match whats spread out on both of my desks and in my cupboards.

I both laughed out loud at this and kind of want it. Also, I giggled at all the replies above.

I do love you people! :wub:

I've never kept a journal or a planner. Yet I just impulsively bought $200 worth of hobonichis and paraphernalia. Right after I was done with that shopping frenzy, I realized that I need washi tape, stickers, stamps, and ephemera. Can anyone give me suggestions where to obtain such things — preferably aesthetically unisex or appropriate for a somewhat serious looking cis dude?

Edited by LostArk

Art and craft stores, office supply stores, but stamps and ephemera are used as I find something interesting perhaps from an old envelope. For me, Washitape seems useless, maybe useful for younger people than me. (I have filled over 60 journals of many varieties. I include photos, drawings, my entries about absolutely anything.except I avoid rants.)

I've never kept a journal or a planner. Yet I just impulsively bought $200 worth of hobonichis and paraphernalia. Right after I was done with that shopping frenzy, I realized that I need washi tape, stickers, stamps, and ephemera. Can anyone give me suggestions where to obtain such things — preferably aesthetically unisex or appropriate for a somewhat serious looking cis dude?

I just discovered washi tape. It's addicting. JetPens has a substantial selection. I'm currently waffling about some inspired by the designs of William Morris.

After spending years with Hobonichi I'm thinking that I might DIY for 2020. I wanted a way to get the dates nice and tidy without having to write in every single one and discovered washi tape designed for that very thing. I figure if I get a 7 Seas notebook then as long as I don't spend more than $30 on decoration supplies then I'm coming out "ahead" of an Avec Cousin.

Yet another Sarah.

Another washi tape source is cutetape.com. I have not bought from them yet, but they had some I never saw at Jet Pens.

I got a Maruman notebook last week. Plus two notebooks for the recent birthday.

Posted Image

I won a $50 gift voucher from a major Australian on-line supplier, and I am beyond excited. Even though my frequent orders from them are always way more than $50, I’m putting considerable thought into how I’ll spend my $50.