I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

Just in case you need a fix as you leave Australia and are flying out from Melbourne, Milligram has a beautifully stocked display stand at the large WH Smith store in the International Departures area.

I noticed it in March but didn’t have time to stop. Yesterday, I MADE the time and the range has increased. There is a large range of Milligram notebooks, Rhodia pads, Moleskine (no thanks), Rollbahn and more. As well as Lamy pens and other items. I MAY have bought some Rollbahn B5 grid notebooks, because who knows when you’ll run out on a 2 3/4hr flight to NZ?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, with variety store chains such as Daiso and Muji, there seems to be no global or regional product catalogues that the stores endeavour to stock comprehensively; some products could be a bit "here today, gone tomorrow", and get effectively discontinued locally once current stock of them runs out and/or "replaced" by something superficially similar but not delivering to the same specifications in every way, even without allowing for actual manufacturing changes from one batch to the next of product that shares the same product code or SKU identifier.

I recently tested and "found" a Daiso paper product (made in Japan, of course; I try to avoid their non-Japanese products) that is very fountain pen friendly, and can readily serve as an economical substitute for Rhodia No.16 notepads for my purposes, but even almost as soon as I've come to that conclusion, they seem to disappear off the shelves (in three Daiso stores near me) and not be restocked; I only managed to buy five of them in all after scouring all three stores.

In light of that experience, I rushed back to my local Muji store today as soon as I was free after a busy day out, and cleaned out of every last one on the shelves of this batch of fountain pen friendly notebook I tested last night. I will drop in again next week to see if stock has been replenished; I did ask the counter staff today whether I could get more, but they didn't look for it either on the computer or "out the back" for me. I had a look for it earlier on Muji's Australian web site, and the product isn't listed and could not be found searching by product code.

Diaso is interesting. It was explained to me that some of their stores are company stores and some are franchised so they can vary in what they carry from store to store.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Just in case you need a fix as you leave Australia and are flying out from Melbourne, Milligram has a beautifully stocked display stand at the large WH Smith store in the International Departures area.

I noticed it in March but didn’t have time to stop. Yesterday, I MADE the time and the range has increased. There is a large range of Milligram notebooks, Rhodia pads, Moleskine (no thanks), Rollbahn and more. As well as Lamy pens and other items. I MAY have bought some Rollbahn B5 grid notebooks, because who knows when you’ll run out on a 2 3/4hr flight to NZ?

OMG - imagine running out of notebook on a 3 hour flight!!!!! You had a responsibility to stock up pre flight.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

OMG - imagine running out of notebook on a 3 hour flight!!!!! You had a responsibility to stock up pre flight.

I know, as I only had a half used A5 notebook in my carryon. Thankfully, crisis averted.

I got a 3-pack of notebooks at Barnes and Noble because they had constellations on them. They are from Italy with recycled paper, so I don’t know how they will work with fountain pens. But they had constellations on they, and each is different.

Posted Image

Found 4 Arc 8 x 11 HARD BOUND notebooks on clearance. Excellent quality period. $3.00 each. And I managed to talk myself out of it. I have years worth of notebooks already on hand.

OH, wow, I wouldn't have walked away.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OH, wow, I wouldn't have walked away.

Well it was painful but I'm about over it. If they had been A5 size I could not have resisted that.

I know, as I only had a half used A5 notebook in my carryon. Thankfully, crisis averted.

Foresight is a brilliant insurance. Interruption of the thought process at 35000 ft can be catastrophic. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Well it was painful but I'm about over it. If they had been A5 size I could not have resisted that.

You have let 'Club Hoarder' down. Shameful. laugh.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

You have let 'Club Hoarder' down. Shameful. laugh.png

I almost went back to see if they were still there but I have to stop buying more. I need a notebook anonymous group for therapy.

I almost went back to see if they were still there but I have to stop buying more.

Well done on making amends. biggrin.png

I need a notebook anonymous group for therapy.

Don't we all.

OTOH, we are fairly anonymous on the forum and are undergoing therapy by sharing/discussing our addictions along with ways/means to curb it.

I say we are well and truly on the road to recovery. laugh.png

Now, where the hell is that stationery counselor...

Engineer :

• 2 weeks later...

For the Australian junkies, Milligram (no affiliation) has a 2 for 1 offer for many notebooks at the moment. (In addition to their warehouse sale in Collingwood.)

I’m ashamed to say, that I resisted buying anything. I’ve had to pack a suitcase of notebooks away lest people viewing our house (which is currently for sale) think the house is occupied by a nut case. Not sure what they think of 4 large drawers of inks and several shelves of fountain pen boxes.

For the Australian junkies, Milligram (no affiliation) has a 2 for 1 offer for many notebooks at the moment.

I had a look at the part of Milligram's catalogue that is eligible for that promotion, but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot that is interesting. Some Rhodia and Clairefontaine, but not the Bloc Rhodia A5 and A5 notepads or the Clairefontaine 'Age Bag' notebooks with more than 64 pages per book.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Office Depot today, with a 20% off coupon, and got the rose gold Tul Elements junior size notebook.

I have to save my Levenger Circa in the Bomber Jacket style for later (Im thinking fun things/times), and Id run out of room in my Circa from a get to know Circa set with frosted clear covers.

fpn_1560039377__7aa1adde-ef22-4939-808f-

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

My most recent paper purchase was an A5 wire bound Red N Black in the last couple of weeks or so.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've been gifted a regular-size Traveler's Notebook in brown. It comes with the blank insert, and I also received a #019 free diary insert.

A TN has been on my kinda-sorta-want list for a long time. The idea of it is very appealing, the make-of-it-what-you-will ethos and all that. So now that I have one, I find myself conflicted. What *do* I make of it?

I've kept journals/diaries/planners of one sort or another for quite a few years. I cycled through a number of different Quo Vadis planner formats. For 2017-18, I tried the Hobonichi Techo. As 2019 approached, I was too lazy to order a new Techo, so I just grabbed an A5 Clairefontaine lined notebook from a pile I have and that's what I've been using this year. I happened to have a MUJI A5 notebook cover for it as well.

When I think about it, I've been descending from the tightly formatted Quo Vadis planner styles to the less restrictive Techo (well, more restrictive in that it's the smallest format I've ever used; maybe too small) to the relatively unstructured lined A5. Now I'm facing the wintry blankness of the TN insert. Despite my love of free jazz, I don't know if I'm quite ready for "free journaling." I suppose I ought to let the free-jazz writer in me run wild. Meanwhile, I continue in the A5 for now while I fondle and ponder the TN and its possibilities.

What I love most about the Techo, like a lot of folks, is the Tomoe River paper. Maybe the Goulet lined Tomoe River TN inserts is the way for me to go...

Happiness is an Indian ED!

What I love most about the Techo, like a lot of folks, is the Tomoe River paper. Maybe the Goulet lined Tomoe River TN inserts is the way for me to go...

There are quite a few options for lined, grid, and dotted TR for the TN; Taroko is one I have used.

I love my TN set up: daily planner, then grid notebook for meeting minutes/notes (indexed to the planner), with a blank notebook for freestyling at the back.

Ornette Lives!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Nice gift. I use my TN for journaling on everything anything. I prefer blank pages. Write draw scribble paste ...leave a trail of pasta sauce on pg 10...great lunch, so noted.

There are quite a few options for lined, grid, and dotted TR for the TN; Taroko is one I have used.

I love my TN set up: daily planner, then grid notebook for meeting minutes/notes (indexed to the planner), with a blank notebook for freestyling at the back.

Ornette Lives!

Although I've never bought a thing on Etsy, I have an account and a bunch of favorite shops. I just "favorited" Taroko the other day. I'll consider that one, thanks.

And you're darned right Ornette lives... so does Albert. And long live Pharaoh!

Happiness is an Indian ED!