The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pencil V Pen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:23

The best writing instruments to carry around are pencils especially mechanical. When you think of the inconvenience of having to uncap a fountain every time for just for jotting down a note.My relatives were born in the latter half of the 19th and first decade of the 20th {that dates me!} who used pencils extensively throughout their lives for writing notes, even letters, a fountain or dip pen would be inconvenient at times. Incidentally one popular pencil during the first half of the 20th centuries became known as indelible. When the tip was moistened it produced a purple "ink" and when dry became waterproof. It was often used before laundering clothes and sheets for identification and became permanent even with frequent washes. It was also popular for writing notes. 

Hopefully people will know that some of the dyes in the pencils were toxic with health issues. People would wet them with their tongue. Not a good thing.

Sponsored Content

#22 DrSam

DrSam

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2018 - 21:06

They all (pens, pencils, ballpoints, mobile phone writing apps, typewriters) have their uses. Sometimes switching can change your mood or thinking.

There are Facebook groups dedicated to the wooden pencil if you want to go down another rabbit hole.

I agree completely. I think that being forced to use pencils in grade school, then finally being permited to use pens leaves a mental mark on us that pencils are inferior. However, each has its use. For me it is 99% fountain pen, 0.9% ball pen, and 0.1% pencil use. Of course if I include computer, tablet and phone, the numbers would be different.

#23 Princeps Anglorum

Princeps Anglorum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Leicester, England (former home of the Wyvern Pen Co)
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:32

I use pencils, usually something like a 3B wooden pencil to get a broad line. Fountain pens are my writing implement of chice and I use a ball point for quick notes etc when I am out but pencils are great for jotting down notes, annotating documents, puzzles etc.

#24 GaryUK

GaryUK

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 16:14

Pencil for numbers. Fountain pen for words.

Gary

#25 ftnpenfan

ftnpenfan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 18:32

I'm developing a taste for vintage mechanical pencils. I use pencils for marginal notes and fountain pens to take notes on what I'm studying/reading.

Sponsored Content

|