The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook I Cant Get To Write

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spidey

Spidey

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:11

I have a Safari that I can't get to write. It was an eBay purchase and I cleaned it thoroughly. I ran it through my ultra sonic cleaner several times. I cleaned out the cartridge that was in the pen. I even replaced the nib.
Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:12

Are we talking about an Esterbrook or a Safari? They have different possibilities

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 Spidey

Spidey

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 13:19

Are we talking about an Esterbrook or a Safari? They have different possibilities

Esterbrook Safari. They made a pen called Safari before Lamy ever did.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 14:34

OK, if it's an Esterbrook Safari cartridge filler, then it can't need a new sac. I don't know if it's possible to remove the nib and feed to clean it or not. I don't know what could possibly be wrong with it if you've cycled it in a USC and refilled the cartridge. Hopefully someone who knows will come along.

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 15:19

Was the cartridge used when you got the pen, or New Old Stock and never punctured? If it had been punctured and sitting in the pens for decades is could possible be not fitting correctly onto the post or nipple in the section. Since you exchanged out the renew point to one that you know functions properly I assume, I would think its either a matter of the cartridge not attaching and allowing the ink to flow properly, or the nipple/post that punctures and allows the ink to flow to the feed of the renew point is blocked.  I would remove both the renew point and cartridge and see if light can be seen through the nipple/post on the section.

Also what ink are you using?

Edited by JakobS, 27 October 2017 - 15:19.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#6 Spidey

Spidey

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 20:25

The cartridge was used up for the most part. It had some dried ink which I cleaned out. I was using Aurora Black. I already did what you said to do and no daylight.

#7 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 20:58

It sounds like there's something hardened and blocking the feed in the nipple.  Have you tried running a small wire through, something like a .011 guitar string?

Edited by gweimer1, 27 October 2017 - 20:59.

#8 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2017 - 13:48

May I suggest placing the nib assembly aside and trying one from another pen.
Sounds like the current assemble has a dried ink blockage, generally the unit must be taken apart thoroughly cleared of inky residue then re-assembled. As replacement nib cartridges are readily available,
it is probably less stressful to proceed that way.

Rule out that the nib is working then look at the Safari filler system .

These are relatively simple devices you will reach a solution
Good Luck

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#9 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 10,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:34

I have an Esterbrook Safari cartridge pen in which I have used Lamy cartridges, and I have refilled the cartridges with Pelikan, Lamy, Sheaffer and Montblanc ink and it writes.  I think you might find Esterbrook cartridges on ebay.  I have seen them offered.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

|