Hi there. I have created a new blog, listing some of my favorite pens, and there is a section on how to achieve better penmanship. I would love to get some comments from the readers of the Fountain Pen Network about the pens. I would also like to have your ideas on how to achieve clearer, nicer-looking writing. You may be the first person to reply to my blog! Thank you.

Bruce Leeds

Edited by amberleadavis
Removed offsite link.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sasha Royale

• BLeeds

• mitto

• Henricum_Tropen

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome from Santa Rosa, CA

"My wife will probably kill me if I drag her to another antique store looking for FP's......."

Hello Bruce and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome !

I will certainly visit your site this weekend. Thank you.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome Bruce!

Glad you are here with us!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Hi there. I have created a new blog, listing some of my favorite pens, and there is a section on how to achieve better penmanship. I would love to get some comments from the readers of the Fountain Pen Network about the pens. I would also like to have your ideas on how to achieve clearer, nicer-looking writing. You may be the first person to reply to my blog! Thank you.

Here is the link if you are interested: https://bestpenblog.wordpress.com

Bruce Leeds

Hi Bruce Leeds.

In order to achieve clearer, nicer - looking handwriting, I would recommend the following:

1) Find a pen that feels comfortable in your hand; one with a medium/fine nib, having a little flex if possible.

It must be free of faults. For example, you will never write neatly with a pen that has ink - flow issues.

2) To begin with, write between thin pencil guide - lines and strive for consistency of height and slope with even density.

It shouldn`t be long before you can dispense with the guide lines.

3) The most important thing of all, is that you`ve got to PRACTICE, as with anything you wish to become good at.

Hope this helps. It`s the way I had to do it in school - and it works!

Best regards,

NEV

Can I ask a question? Why is the handwriting at the pen and ink review sites so consistently bad? In seems "oxymoronish" to me. You would think that it would be better since the authors are talking about pens and ink, but when they give examples of the ink or of how the pen works, the handwriting is more often than not scribbled looking. It is a real mystery to me. The text below is the beginning of an essay that I wrote on the topic on my blog, with some questions at the end. Anybody have any thoughts?

What’s up with the bad handwriting on the pen review sites?

About the bad handwriting that is so commonly seen on the pen and ink review websites and blogs, I have a few questions.. The questions are more rhetorical than not, as I don’t think that there is a sure answer to them, but I will offer a couple at the end. If you look at the pen and ink reviews on the Internet, I think you will find that the handwriting on most of the sites is atrocious. The question is, why? I would give you examples of the handwriting but then I would have to hire a lawyer to defend myself against defamation suits.

The letters in the handwriting at most of those sites (“most” is not a scientific judgment but I bet is is pretty accurate–take a look for yourself) all seem to be drawn, with inconsistent sizes and shapes and slants. The writing looks like it was written by a child or someone with a physical handicap, or an older person that can’t see well, or at least by someone that doesn’t care what his or her handwriting looks like, even in a public forum. And more often than not when the person is talking about fountain pens or fountain pen ink, he or she will give a writing sample that is PRINTED rather than in cursive. Why? Probably because their handwriting would be too ugly or unreadable, and everyone has a limit on how bad they will allow themselves to appear to others. But many of them are talking about fountain pens! And one of the strong points about fountain pens is that they allow the writer to form beautiful letters and words, particularly with a personal touch that sets their cursive off from that of others.

That leads me to other questions. Why don’t these people care? Do they not see that their writing looks scribbled? Do they actually not see that it looks bad? Have they not seen the Constitution (asked with a smile)? Do they not feel just a little bit that they ought to be an example of good handwriting for others to follow? Do they not have an ounce of pride? Of all the people that you would think would care it would be the people talking about pens and ink.