Lamy Studio Steel - The Ring

Schadenfreude

Hi all Lamy experts!

I have a question. I only have Lamy AlStar blue-green and i am planning to buy Lamy Studio steel - that one with a rubber section, but i want to know about the ring that is attached on the edge of the rubber: does it come off easily after having to open and close the cap for several times? I have seen youtube video of someone writing with it and i noticed that her Lamy ring is not there on her pen anymore, and i heard that if you lost the ring, the cap won't close properly.

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Schadenfreude

• usk15

• Needhelp

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Schadenfreude,

I have to leave for the office, so I have to make this short... I have several Studios and haven't encountered this problem yet, but this video will show you how to fix it if you ever do. :D

http://youtu.be/lS8Ze0x19h4

The same is true if you lose the clutch ring on the Lamy 2000... you won't be able to secure the cap on that one, either.

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Anthony pointed it out.

Thank you for the video. I have watched it and since you said you dont have any problem with it getting off, so i am really going to purchased it yay!

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

Usk15, thank you for also telling that you have no issue with it. The fact that you didnt seem to be aware of that ring already told me that it's hardly an issue. I hope i won't lose the ring if it gets stuck in the cap.

Now my concern is my Lamy Alstar: i use mont blanc mystery black ink in it but it gives me grey writing. And then i tried blue black from parker quink, the color fades too. I dont know what to do because i want to love this pen. But this will be an off-topic discussion if it gets discussed in here, though.

Hello Usk15 & Schadenfreude,

You're both quite welcome. :D

...Now my concern is my Lamy Alstar: i use mont blanc mystery black ink in it but it gives me grey writing. And then i tried blue black from parker quink, the color fades too...

Hello Schadenfreude,

Of all the Lamy pens I own... around 50... it has been my experience that the Al-Stars tend to write a little on the dry side, compared to the rest of the fleet.

What is more, Mont Blanc Mystery Black is a very dry ink... I rarely use my bottle because of it. I would suggest you try either Aurora Black or Lamy Black and I'm sure you'll see a marked improvement in performance. ;)

Do not concern yourself with the color shift using Quink blue-black... it does that with EVERY pen, (so does Waterman Mysterious Blue). If you want a good, reliable blue-black... look no further than Diamine b/b or Pilot b/b,... if you can find it. (Avoid Lamy b/b as it is also very dry).

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Hello Usk15 & Schadenfreude,

You're both quite welcome. :D

Hello Schadenfreude,

Of all the Lamy pens I own... around 50... it has been my experience that the Al-Stars tend to write a little on the dry side, compared to the rest of the fleet.

What is more, Mont Blanc Mystery Black is a very dry ink... I rarely use my bottle because of it. I would suggest you try either Aurora Black or Lamy Black and I'm sure you'll see a marked improvement in performance. ;)

Do not concern yourself with the color shift using Quink blue-black... it does that with EVERY pen, (so does Waterman Mysterious Blue). If you want a good, reliable blue-black... look no further than Diamine b/b or Pilot b/b,... if you can find it. (Avoid Lamy b/b as it is also very dry).

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Oh, i didn't know that AlStar is picky about ink? MB is my fav ink, it's now time to buy a new brand, apparently. I only have parker quink all colours, MB black, diamine shimmertastic shimmering seas and brandy dazzle, j herbin magenta. I will take a look at diamine and pilot ink. Thanks. Before i bought alstar i have been skeptical about it (also safari and vista).

Dont worry about the parker blue black ink. I use it everyday and i like it and it does change colours over time(not to any color but from either a very nice looking dark blue to teal)

Dont worry about the parker blue black ink. I use it everyday and i like it and it does change colours over time(not to any color but from either a very nice looking dark blue to teal)

Well, i just replaced the ink in my alstar yesterday to quink blue. It looks purplish-lavenderish in my alstar but i like it!

I have been a FP buyer, now it is time to try out other inks, too! (I only have a few, 1 MB, 2 Diamine shimmertastic, 3 quinks, 1 j. Herbin)