The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen And Message Saku Deep Blue My First Old Style Sailor Bottle.

sailor pen and message saku deep blue kobe bungubox vs sailor souten

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 catalyst

catalyst

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 15:33

I became aware of the world of fountain pens (other than Montblanc) through Goulet on Youtube earlier this year and got sucked in. I write a lot so initially this was all justified, but now its clearly gotten out of control. Goulet no longer sell Sailor, so it took a couple months, but I then became aware of Sailor and how supposedly great Sailor inks were. Of course it was not long after that I became aware of their special store inks. I also found out that I missed out on when Sailor was offering the old style tall bottles more commonly with their regular inks, and everything I was buying now comes with the short stubby ink bottle, which is boring at best. I do not think the short bottles should be used on Sailor's inks which tend to be more expensive. 

Anyways, a goal of mine has been accomplished, I have acquired Pen and Message Saku Deep Blue in the old style bottle. I love the look of the bottle, but as so many have stated the cap can get stuck. I would have to say Pelikan Edelstein make the best bottle I have tried: They look great, feel solid, they are heavy with a wide base and the cap always works. I have never tried the Akkerman bottle. Ok tangent over. I adore this ink so thats a plus as well.

Overall I love this ink, the look, the feel, the sheen, how it behaves so similarly on so many different papers. I still cant pick a favorite blue, but this is definitely a contender. I don't know anything about the ink or the company, so I'll just skip to the photos and the review in the photos:

1 - rPhgX9p.jpeg

I decided since I was taking photos I would take photos of all the pens and ink bottles I have acquired this year since starting my addiction, but I kept the focus on the Saku for this review:

2 - Lub2gGK.jpeg

3 - 8VteBSo.jpeg

If someone knows what this says on the top I would appreciate a translation:

4 - 2kvrUSb.jpeg

I'm no calligrapher, I havent even read a book, I just looked up letters online, so be easy on the handwriting haha. Review on HP Premium Laser 32lbs:

5 - QTPfB3k.jpeg

Written with an italic dip pen:

6 - 1S0QYyS.jpeg

8 - qby7wkl.jpeg

10 - xBcbk0G.jpeg

9 - zPjR2qH.jpeg

On 68gsm Tomoe River Paper vs Kobe #7 Kaikyo Blue, Bungubox Omaezaki Azure Sea, Bungubox 4B, Sailor Jentle Blue, Diamine Midnight, Diamine Blue-Black, Kobe #38 Kitanozaka "Kitano Hill" Night Blue, MIXTURE: Sailor Kiwa-guro and Sei-Boku, Pilot Iroshizuku Shin Kai, Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite, Lamy Blue-Black:
11 - XoanPeG.jpeg

12 - CQOzQWZ.jpeg

13 - kCXjBlo.jpeg

Water-resistant testing on Rhodia:
14 - ivVcCwy.jpeg
These inks do ok after being left to dry for about 12-15 hours, especially considering they are not marketed to be water resistant. It does appear that there is some component of the ink remaining after putting water on it for about 30 seconds.

More on Rhodia with a Brause #361:
17 - QVjGID3.jpeg

18 - iTY60pP.jpeg

Saku Deep blue written with an italic dip pen on 90gsm Optik Paper from a Black n Red notebook vs Sailor Jentle Blue, Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue, Organics Studio Nitrogen Royal Blue, Bungubox 4B "Bung Box Blue Black", Bungubox Omaezaki Azure Sea, Kobe #2 Dock Blue, Kobe #7 Kaikyo Blue, Kobe #14 Maya Lapis, Sailor Jentle Souten:
20 - whPUicW.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 15:45

Earlier this year, huh?  I'm thinking you got it pretty bad, Catalyst! :lol:

Great review!

#3 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 16:24

I loved my sample. Colour-wise it's like Pilot Blue-Black and Shin-kai had a child.  :D

#4 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 17:50

Excellent! I don't know what I like better, your review or the ink itself!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#5 catalyst

catalyst

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 19:28

Earlier this year, huh?  I'm thinking you got it pretty bad, Catalyst! :lol:

Great review!

Yeah, and the only thing I was thinking when placing my pens for the shot was "I should get another Platinum 3776, or maybe a president... for symmetry!"

I loved my sample. Colour-wise it's like Pilot Blue-Black and Shin-kai had a child.  :D

I just ordered some samples the other day and I completely forgot to get Pilot Blue Black  :doh:

Excellent! I don't know what I like better, your review or the ink itself!!

Thanks!

#6 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 19:52

You definitely know how to bring out the sheen in those inks! Thanks for the review.

#7 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 19:57

Nice review. And I like the sheen very much, it even sheens on HP paper!

#8 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:06

Nice review and nice looking ink. I went through a period of being obsessed with getting a vase bottle, and finally I did, so I can relate. I'd like to get more, but one sort of scratched the itch, and I won't get more until the prices come down. (Which probably means never.)

#9 catalyst

catalyst

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:35

I figured I would show how it does on some pretty bad quality Office Depot copy paper - I just put the 3 inks I had in my 3 TWSBI ECO stubs. These ECOs are fairly medium-wet writers, so these inks will all perform better in a dryer and smaller nib pen on this cheap paper. Given all that these results are pretty decent.

28lbs Office Depot Copt paper:
18613E7E-96A9-4898-B553-B1B1A9E9FDA2.jpeg
There is very little bleed from the Private Reserve and none from the Sailor made inks.

20lbs Office Depot copy paper:
15D45C52-6C02-4B16-A676-71A4DE72DC35.jpeg
Small bleed though for the Sailor inks and medium amount for the Private Reserve ink.

#10 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,656 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 16:07

I just got my first bottle of a Pen and Message ink (Cigar) and enjoy it a lot. If I ever order for more I'll definitely include Saku; I'm a sucker for blues with sheen. 

I much prefer the vase bottle over Sailor's standard squatty bottle. My inks generally live in their boxes so the look of the bottles doesn't matter as much to me as functionality. 

#11 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 18:56

Super review... thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, pen and message, saku, deep, blue, kobe, bungubox, vs, sailor souten

Sponsored Content

|