The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Which Pen Is This, And Can I Reuse The Nib(/feed) In A Different Barrel?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 23:54

I have a Wahl Eversharp pen with a 14K nib that's really nice: very fine point with a nice amount of flex.  Really it's my only flex pen.  I don't use it often, only for special writing, but when I do, I keep wishing I could do something about the pen barrel.  It's old, it's dated, I don't care for the dark brown or the tarnishing gold accents, or the old scratched up plastic.  It also feels oddly hollow and cheap (other than the nib: the nib is great).

The nib says "Eversharp" "14K" "MADE IN USA".  

The clip on the cap has "Pat. Made in USA" engraved at the bend and "EVERSHARP" engraved vertically along.  

No other writing that I can detect.

9nZ3jhv.jpg

LRPWFju.jpg

If you could tell me what pen model this is, I'd really appreciate it.   I think it's a Skyline of some sort?

Also, what is the nib size, if it's standard?  Can I reuse the nib + feed in different housing of some sort?  Or it'd have to be just the nib?  If so, I'd love some recommendations.  It can be modern or vintage options.  Something budget-friendly but nicer, with a less stiff tarnished filling lever and such.

Edited by Intensity, 24 October 2017 - 03:39.

Sponsored Content

#2 catbert

catbert

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 13:51

Yes, it looks like a Skyline. A couple of links that might help identify which one:

http://www.richardsp...les/skyline.htm

http://www.penhero.c...harpSkyline.htm

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 15:22

Skyline for sure, with some restoration it could be a very nice pen to use with out moving the nib! I've seen the nib used in other Eversharp pens of the same era.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:06

I mean you could use the nib and feed in something else - but that's a pretty damn nice pen. Rather than taking it apart, I'd sell it and buy something you like better (or just buy a new nib and feed to stick in something you like).

If you're interested in selling, PM me

#5 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2017 - 18:19

Seems to be a Standard size Skyline.

They produced two brown colors Light Brown and Dark Chocolate

Typically they do not hold a lot of ink but the Pen style is a Classic of the 1940's
and continues to have wide interest today.

A lot of these pens find the aged plastic to be very brittle

Use can when taking in and out, f pushed too hard the Barrel will split thru the threads.

The nibs are very well made and often found in other pens.. Typlical value between $40 & $ 75.00

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#6 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:06

Seems to be a Standard size Skyline.

They produced two brown colors Light Brown and Dark Chocolate

Typically they do not hold a lot of ink but the Pen style is a Classic of the 1940's
and continues to have wide interest today.

A lot of these pens find the aged plastic to be very brittle

Use can when taking in and out, f pushed too hard the Barrel will split thru the threads.

The nibs are very well made and often found in other pens.. Typlical value between $40 & $ 75.00

They produced a bunch of colors (http://www.richardsp...les/skyline.htm), fyi. Most commonly seen in brown, but there's other stuff out there.

You're right that the plastic is very brittle on the styrene ones. The celluloids are a bit more durable. Either way, it's a fairly risky deal to mess with one of these. Definitely use a knockout block and heat to remove the nib.

I agree on your first point - but where are you seeing the nibs go for $75? Or even $40? You can get fully repaired Skylines for $75, and ones in need of a resac for $40 .I've got one sitting 2 feet away from me that I payed $40.25 for a week ago.

Maybe some parts sellers like Dale Bebe (pentooling) and Five Star Pens? I could see them selling the nibs for $40. I'd definitely pay that much for one of these nibs - they're always fantastic. The one I just got even has a stub!

#7 carola

carola

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 20:52

I might be wrong, but I don´t think it´s a Skyline. In my humble opinion this is a Streamliner. The shape ist the same as a Skyline´s, but the Skyline´s clip reaches over the top of the cap to meet the clip ring on the opposite side. The Streamliner has just the ring and the clip stretching down the cap from there, which can be seen on the site mentioned above (http://www.richardsp...les/skyline.htm) if you scroll to the lower half of the page.

#8 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:28

I might be wrong, but I don´t think it´s a Skyline. In my humble opinion this is a Streamliner. The shape ist the same as a Skyline´s, but the Skyline´s clip reaches over the top of the cap to meet the clip ring on the opposite side. The Streamliner has just the ring and the clip stretching down the cap from there, which can be seen on the site mentioned above (http://www.richardsp...les/skyline.htm) if you scroll to the lower half of the page.

Hmm it's like a hybrid of Skyline and Streamliner and maybe Evidence...  It looks basically like the 3rd from the top Skyline image, only without the wrap-around clip design.  It has the same exact cap as the one shown on the "Evidence" model on that page, but the barrel is not like that of the Evidence. There's a gold ring at the bottom of the cap on my pen, just like on the Skyline and Evidence but not on the Streamliners shown.  The nib is the "banner" style nib, which I've read on a different site was a more high end kind.  Probably some transition era pen.

#9 carola

carola

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 19:29

A hybrid... I think you are right! Not a Streamliner (that is, it MIGHT be a Streamliner´s body as well as a Skyline´s) and the cap of that nameless model you called "Evidence" after the beginning of the sentence. :)

Looking closely at the photos again, there seems indeed to be that little horn on the clip, reaching up a few millemetres from the clip-band. And the lower cap band is there as well.

My guess would be, that someone owned a Skyline or a Streamliner and lost or broke the cap. And then came across a matching cap from a different model. "Army Brown" seems to have been a rather common colour.

Sponsored Content

|