The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conklin Duragraph Screw In Nib Unit, Replacement Options?

conklin duragraph conklin fountain pen 1.1mm stub stub

7 replies to this topic

#1 RogerW

RogerW

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 22:14

Conklin Duragraph Fountain Pen, Amber - 1.1 MM Steel Stub Nib 

Hello, I recently purchased this pen recently for $32 on Amazon. I'd love to know what my options are for swapping between the screw-out nib units for this pen. I obviously know that I can get the Conklin replacements. I'm wondering if it uses a standard size that can be swapped out for those of different manufacturers. 

I tried my Franklin Christoph nib - no joy there. It the FC unit just spun in place. 

Also, I looked for this information before hitting you guys up. I'm also interested in how to find this out for myself next time. Where can I find what nib units are swappable. 

Thanks.

Conklin Duragraph 01.png

Conklin Duragraph 02.png

Conklin Duragraph 03.png

Sponsored Content

#2 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 00:31

You can just pull the nibs out of the units and switch them.  You don't need to keep them together as a unit for the pen to write, you're making this way, way too complicated on yourself.

Edited by jekostas, 24 October 2017 - 00:34.

#3 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 00:40

Nib units are not interchangeable because the collars differ.  But your #6 nib is interchangeable with other #6s.  I've got a #6 Fountain Pen Revolution Flex nib in my Conklin Duragraph right now.  Another #6 FPR Flex nib is in my Jinhao x450.  The Conklin nib that came with my Duragraph is in my Edison Collier.  One of my Collier nibs is in my Nemosine Singularity.  All the #6 nibs I own are interchangeable.  You'll have to pull the nib and feed out of the collar to swap the nib out, but keep using the Conklin's feed and collar.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

round-postcard-exc.png

#4 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:25

And then someone yells "fruit basket upset" and you have to swap them all to different pens.

I have a similar assortment but I would have to go look at them to be able to tell you which nib is in which pen. I move them around until I find a combination that I really like.
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#5 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:44

That's a pretty pen and you got a good deal on it.  The cracked ice version was one of the first "expensive" pens I got--- little did I know what it would lead too!!

#6 RogerW

RogerW

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:01

OCArt - This is the most expensive pen I've purchased for myself. It's a beautiful pen. But it's got a major flaw, it's all goofy after being posted. All the weight is at the back of the pen. And I've got big ogre hands that need a big, heavy, posted pen!

I'm still loving it. And learning more about what I like for the next time I need something shiny.

Thanks.

Edited by RogerW, 24 October 2017 - 07:13.

#7 RogerW

RogerW

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:05

You can just pull the nibs out of the units and switch them.  You don't need to keep them together as a unit for the pen to write, you're making this way, way too complicated on yourself.

Nib units are not interchangeable because the collars differ.  But your #6 nib is interchangeable with other #6s.  I've got a #6 Fountain Pen Revolution Flex nib in my Conklin Duragraph right now.  Another #6 FPR Flex nib is in my Jinhao x450.  The Conklin nib that came with my Duragraph is in my Edison Collier.  One of my Collier nibs is in my Nemosine Singularity.  All the #6 nibs I own are interchangeable.  You'll have to pull the nib and feed out of the collar to swap the nib out, but keep using the Conklin's feed and collar.

And then someone yells "fruit basket upset" and you have to swap them all to different pens.

I have a similar assortment but I would have to go look at them to be able to tell you which nib is in which pen. I move them around until I find a combination that I really like.

It sounds like I was mistaken. I would have sworn I had read posts about being able to swap specific nib collar/units between a few brands. I've taken a liking to stub nibs, and they need a strong flow of ink. I assumed that using the feed that is sold with a stub nib would probably be wetter and a better fit for the replacement nib.

I have, however, swapped out many Jowo #6 nibs. I've used the Goulet nibs, Nimosine, and Franklin Christoph so far. Thanks.

#8 Cjayant

Cjayant

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:07

I bought the same pen last month with the Stub nib. I found that nib not pleasurable so I had decided to change into a Jowo cursive italic nib and it works wonderfully.

The nib alone fits well with the Conklin feeder and it is friction- fit. Don't need a nib with a unite. All no 6 JOWO/KNOX/BOCK nibs will fit without any trouble.

Edited by Cjayant, 22 November 2017 - 04:10.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conklin duragraph, conklin, fountain pen, 1.1mm stub, stub

Sponsored Content

|