Problem Solved!

Charles Skinner

This post likely will seem really silly to many of you, but here goes anyway. I have two ink mixtures that appear somewhat alike --- until they dry, and then it becomes oblivious. I have two Parker 51's that I use only for these two ink mixtures. Now, for the problem ------ The two ink mixtures are close enough that I am never sure which ink is in which pen! How did I solve this problem? Well, on two small pieces of paper, I wrote name of the mixture and taped one piece to the bottle and one piece to the cap of the 51 which is filled with that mixture.

Then, the same for the other mixture and the other 51.

So now, I will not get the two mixtures, and the two 51's mixed up!

I have different to places for these two ink bottles, and I always match the "name" taped to the pen with the name taped to the bottle.

Anyway, I have solved the problem of which ink is in which pen at any time!

Call me "crazy" if you wish!

C. S.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Skinner

• LanceSaintPaul

• FrMark

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have 2 identical pens to confuse me, but I've recently had trouble remembering which black ink is in which pen, so just this past week I used Inkjournal.com 's free template https://www.inkjournal.com/pages/free-resources-and-printable-templates

the ink collecting template - one page of which lists the Currently Inked Pens. I printed that page out & have now "registered" each inked pen on that sheet. Certainly one could simply write out the list, but I am going to keep a record in this way as I go forward.

This problem may be part of the answer to "How many is too many?..."

Call me "sane" if you must.

• 2 months later...

With all the lovely colors out there, why do people use black in fountain pens? Permanence? Drawing and wanting maximum tonal range? If so, charcoal and dip pen inks will deeper blacks. I dont get it. Call me crazy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files