London Exclusives

citricacidcycle

My girlfriend will be traveling to London in a couple of weeks for work. Is there anything in particular that I could ask her to get thats exclusive to the London area (pens, ink, journals)?

Thanks FPN!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• citricacidcycle

• Beechwood

• peterg

• northlodge

Not very much that i can think of, sorry. There is a cmall chain of chops called the Pen Shop, they sometimes have a free magazine called Stylus.

Not very much that i can think of, sorry. There is a cmall chain of chops called the Pen Shop, they sometimes have a free magazine called Stylus.

Thanks! I found their website and will check to see what they have to offer.

Harrod's might have their own branded pens?? :huh:

Harrod's the department store? Might be a convenient stop for her to check out. Thanks!

Harrod's the department store? Might be a convenient stop for her to check out. Thanks!

Harrods do not sell their own label fountain pen, plenty of ball points though, I have seen them before though and the quality is a bit tosh.

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/search?searchTerm=harrods+own+label+pen

You might want to send a note to Henry Simpole, Truffle Finder on here, being a London based pen seller he might just have something.

Edited by Beechwood

You might want to send a note to Henry Simpole, Truffle Finder on here, being a London based pen seller he might just have something.

That in itself might suggest a trip to the Portabello Road antique market, where I understand he has a stall.

Another 'trip' worth making is to the Stephens Museum in Finchley (Avenue House IIRC). Mostly ink related, but with a few pens.

That in itself might suggest a trip to the Portabello Road antique market, where I understand he has a stall.

Another 'trip' worth making is to the Stephens Museum in Finchley (Avenue House IIRC). Mostly ink related, but with a few pens.

I've heard about that Antique Market! Thanks for the tips!

Henry Simpole is only at (the back of Admiral Vernon Arcade) Portobello Road on Saturdays until about 14.00. He will definitely have lots of 'somethings' from tens of pounds to thousands for his hand made silver overlays.

The Stephen's Collection is free but only open certain days. So she should check before going. While principally about the ink there are also many pens, and they are not all Stephen's. It's about the size of an average square room (but pens don't need much space!).

The Pen Geeks meet at http://bierschenke.co.uk/ on Saturday 4th November from 12.00. We have people who are in the trade who sometimes bring along rare inks (and some pens) for sale.

Pen Shop is smaller than it used to be but they still have lots of branches, partly because they are the pen shops in John Lewis.

Yes, Pen Shop is good still when you can find it.

Aspinal of London has a few pens of leather and silver, but of unqualified quality. Their pen cases, however, are wonderful. Leather Pen Cases start from 33 quid on up, and they're worth it because I've had mine for a few years now and it looks the same as when I bought it.

trpofapprobal.png

There is a London pen maker called Knight Pens

http://www.knightpens.com/

Seem them at pen shows but no personal experience.

Picking up on the suggestion of the Royal Pen above, something from Aspinals would be very nice, not pen related but a nice Aspinal wallet would be a very nice reminder of a trip to London that should last a lifetime, not pen related admittedly.

You should also be able to take 20% off these prices in respect of VAT.

https://www.aspinaloflondon.com/mens-collection/mens-leather-wallets/leather-billfold-wallets

rather a late suggestion, and not remotely anything that might be specific to London, but a few hundred yards only from Oxford Street, and close to Bond Street underground station, there is Grays Antiques Centre. I doubt that they're renowned for pens, but when I was in there some two or three weeks back there were at least a couple of units that had quite a few post 1950s f.ps. for sale - including many Parker's.

Might be worth a look and your girlfriend might photo some to send you for a yes, buy - or no leave well alone.

As useful as posts 14 and 15 might be to people who are looking for vintage pens the OP was looking for pens etc that were exclusive to London, the emphasis being on exclusive.

As useful as posts 14 and 15 might be to people who are looking for vintage pens the OP was looking for pens etc that were exclusive to London, the emphasis being on exclusive.

I suppose that the gift stall that sits alongside the National Gallery would be spot on;

it is current;y selling a choice of ballpoints with black cabs and red buses emblazoned on them.

Personally I would prefer a vintage Burnham (Souff London) or vintage Stephens (gooner territory).

But the Stephens was made by Scousers or foreigners Paul!

What about a Mentmore/ Platignum; Altura; Swan; Waterman; Conway Stewart or even Unique?