149 Nib In 1960's

illusion1259

1960's nib looks ilike a hawk's beak. Is it normal status? I can see the other one in 1960's has same nib.

Thank you!

Edited by illusion1259

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• illusion1259

• meiers

• CS388

• Dcharles

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you photograph the nib, draw it, or describe in more detail what it looks like?

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Can you photograph the nib, draw it, or describe in more detail what it looks like?

why does this pen has the forward bending nib?

why does this pen has the forward bending nib?

Looks good to me, classic 149 shape.

Is it writing well? Or are you having problems?

Looks good to me, classic 149 shape.

Is it writing well? Or are you having problems?

It is very great writing. Just different forward shape. It's not straight.

Is forward bending nib classic design?

Edited by illusion1259

It is very great writing. Just different forward shape. It's not straight.

Is forward bending nib classic design?

Yes. If you look at pictures of other 149 nibs, you will see a similar line.

Your pictures look like a normal 149 nib. The 146 nib follows a much straighter line.

What is the 2nd pen in your photograph?

Yes. If you look at pictures of other 149 nibs, you will see a similar line.

Your pictures look like a normal 149 nib. The 146 nib follows a much straighter line.

What is the 2nd pen in your photograph?

From the top to bottom, 149 1960's, 149 1980's, 149 1960's model.

I got other 149 in 1970's, 1990's. They have straight nib.

I can see the forward bending nib just in ~1960's.

Edited by illusion1259

If it works, do not fix it, says Andy my car mechanic for almost forty years.

Your nib looks all right and beautiful!!!

Edited by meiers

For what purpose is this nib bent?

Is there any advantages by having this shape?

post-138451-0-25389100-1508926795_thumb.png

Edited by illusion1259

It often seems to indicate that the nib has some springiness or flex to it, which I assume the 1960s MB-149 nibs had. Pelikan nibs from the 1950s had a similar shape and also springiness and/or flex.

Rumpole

My 234 1/2 has quite the hook on it as well, something I have often wondered about. It writes very well, flexes like no other MB I own. The only downside is that I will occasionally catch the nib on an upstroke.

fpn_1508950541__234_nib.jpg

Apologies for the orientation of the photo. It seems no matter how I orient it on my phone it posts this way here.

It's really interesting.

This 149 is not flat feed but this pen has bending nib.

The forward bedning makes not much variation line but still has flex feeling.

Some collectors in asia country think this shape is defect. So they straighten the nib. I can't understand because I think it is just intended from the factory.

post-138451-0-43646500-1508974661_thumb.jpg

I have a 149 of similar age and its nib also has a slight downward inclination, not as much as Illusion's but still visible.

I think both may be within tolerance of what is normal; there is always some variation.

If the pen writes well then IMO it should be left as is; getting it straightened may make it look better but write worse. The whole upper surface of the 1960s nib seems to be slightly convex, so straightening could break the close contact between nib and feed, leading to flow problems.

Edited by BlueJ

I'm comparing the nib between straight shape and bending shape.

I felt bending shpae inconvenient to begin writing it, but I soon got used to it.

Bending shape's tipping is located central of pen more than straight shape so it makes me feel balanced.