Sailor Kingdom Note - Tale Of Genji - 帚木(ははきぎ) Hahakigi (And/or Monogatari)

white_lotus

As you may know, Sailor makes custom inks for shops in Japan. Kingdom Note is one such shop in Tokyo. They have started a series this year based on the famous early 11th century Japanese novel Tale of Genji. The usual series of KN inks comprise five inks, but this series already has eight inks. It's unknown how many inks are planned, or how long they'll be available. Perhaps someone in Japan has inquired about these matters and could comment.

This is a golden brown ink named Monogatari which is according to Wiki a traditional Japanese literary form in which the Tale of Genji was written. The translation of the Japanese by Google on the page for this ink is quite confusing, and it's very unclear what the underlying meaning for this ink might be.

I think the iPhone7 made the ink appear a bit darker than it is in reality. It's a little darker than Sailor Ishida Bungu Hakodate Curry and Sailor Maruzen Athena Fukurou, brighter but nearly the same value as Noodler's (FPH) Old Dutch Colony Sepia.

The ink has very nice shading, no sheen that I can see, some water resistance. No staining at all on the Pelikan. Excellent handling as expected from Sailor. Many browns fall into the red-brown range so it's nice to see a golden brown. This is one that is fairly golden, but not yellow. Quite readable.

fpn_1508715520__img_6036.jpg

fpn_1508715833__img_6035.jpg

fpn_1508715862__img_6037.jpg

fpn_1508715915__img_6058.jpg

For some reason we get pretty accurate color here...

fpn_1508715939__img_6059.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• NeverTapOut

• mke

• pgcauk

Thank you for sharing a beautiful ink that I would not have known, except for this introduction. I enjoy browns of this "family" & have refilled the same pen thrice with Hakodate Curry; it is nice to meet one of it's "cousins." This seems like a perfect choice for this season.

I've been enjoying golden inks a lot recently. This looks cool :) But chances are I won't get my hands on any. I also think the theme of this line is interesting. I've been meaning to read The Tale of Genji, but haven't yet found the time. As I understand it, color plays an important role in identifying characters in the novel. I imagine that someone familiar with the book would appreciate the colors chosen for the inks.

I've been enjoying golden inks a lot recently. This looks cool :) But chances are I won't get my hands on any. I also think the theme of this line is interesting. I've been meaning to read The Tale of Genji, but haven't yet found the time. As I understand it, color plays an important role in identifying characters in the novel. I imagine that someone familiar with the book would appreciate the colors chosen for the inks.

Color and the ability to combine colors in a tasteful and innovative way were enormously important to the society depicted in the Genji Monogatari.

From my feeble recollection of the Waley translation, there was a lot of sending of romantic notes and poems, with the selection of paper and a bit of greenery to go with it being deeply symbolic. It was the mark of a prince that he chose tastefully.At the time I read it, I knew nothing about paper, and still would not know one kind from another. Ink, of course, seemed to be black.This is a lovely color. Thanks for the review.

Thank you for the review. Was looking forward to this one but Kingdom Note continues to disappoint me.

Edited by Mew

Oh for pity's sake!

I already have a ton of inks (by my standards), plus I'm rounding out my quest to have at least one ink by every FP ink maker, then there's my usual limited edition must-buys, and now this?

How am I supposed to pass this up, when I'm not only a Japanese language major, and not only is my concentration is Japanese literature, but also my focus will be specifically Tale of Genji?

Argh! What is this world trying to do? Bankrupt me?

• 1 year later...

Please photograph the label of the ink as I cannot find this ink.

Monogatari is not the name of the ink.

The whole series is called "源氏物語シリーズ" where "源氏物語" means "The Tale of Genji"; "シリーズ" means series. A part of this expression is "物語" which is pronounced "monogatari".

Edited by mke

I'm not at home now so can't confirm which in this could be based on the bottle. I'll have to check next week.

Please photograph the label of the ink as I cannot find this ink.

Monogatari is not the name of the ink.

The whole series is called "源氏物語シリーズ" where "源氏物語" means "The Tale of Genji"; "シリーズ" means series. A part of this expression is "物語" which is pronounced "monogatari".

Probably Hahakigi, which according to Wiki, is second volume of the tale.

According to the product page, it's made by image of Utsusemi

The series page. They also have pen for each group.

Doesn't seem to be updated, so... product search page.

As you may know, Sailor makes custom inks for shops in Japan. Kingdom Note is one such shop in Tokyo. They have started a series this year based on the famous early 11th century Japanese novel Tale of Genji. The usual series of KN inks comprise five inks, but this series already has eight inks. It's unknown how many inks are planned, or how long they'll be available. Perhaps someone in Japan has inquired about these matters and could comment.

Seems to be seven series.

- Tamakazura : Yamabuki no Hosonaga (orange), Ruri no Kimi (blue)

- Hanachirusato: Asahanada no Orimono (pale turquoise?), Tachibana (green)

- Utsusemi: Aonibi no Orimono (blue black), Hahakigi (brown)

- Suetsuguhana: Yanagi no Orimono (green), Benihana (orange)

- Akashi no Onkata: Koki no Orimono (purple), Fuyu no Onkata (blue grey)

- Akashi no Himegimi: Uguisu (green)

- Murasaki no Ue: Budousome no Kouchiki (purple), Wakamurasaki (violet)

Can't find the second ink for the 6th release.

Edited by rluka

Sorry for the delay as I was out of town. Here are pics of the bottle label, and the front and back of the box which has more information.

fpn_1551278094__img_6883.jpg

fpn_1551278121__img_6882.jpg

fpn_1551278140__img_6881.jpg

Based on the characters on the box and bottle at the KN site, this is the ink I reviewed:

https://www.kingdomnote.com/item/2717004828827

btw, there are only twelve inks listed at the KN site for this series, so if there were seven releases, two seem to be missing.

Edited by white_lotus

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay as I was out of town. Here are pics of the bottle label, and the front and back of the box which has more information.

fpn_1551278094__img_6883.jpg

fpn_1551278121__img_6882.jpg

fpn_1551278140__img_6881.jpg

Based on the characters on the box and bottle at the KN site, this is the ink I reviewed:

https://www.kingdomnote.com/item/2717004828827

btw, there are only twelve inks listed at the KN site for this series, so if there were seven releases, two seem to be missing.

white_lotus...

That is a beautiful color. They are showing it in the square bottle now...is it still 50ml?

Also, do the charge shipping?

I don't think I can use PayPal.

Respectfully,

David

Edited by Jesus1

KingdomNote does not ship outside Japan I believe. But of course they charge shipping within Japan. I believe the last time I checked these are in 50 ml. Some of their limited edition vegetable inks are only 20ml. So you have to go through a forwarder/buyer who also has fees, and wsill charge shipping to the US or whatever your destination. It's quite a complicated process, but if it's an ink you must have, well then the price is not so important. But only you can decide.

KingdomNote does not ship outside Japan I believe. But of course they charge shipping within Japan. I believe the last time I checked these are in 50 ml. Some of their limited edition vegetable inks are only 20ml. So you have to go through a forwarder/buyer who also has fees, and wsill charge shipping to the US or whatever your destination. It's quite a complicated process, but if it's an ink you must have, well then the price is not so important. But only you can decide.

Buying from Japan through a forwarder is quite easy when you have a little experience. And concerning their fees they are generally around 200-300 yen. I am pretty sure that they get often discount from Rakuten etc... Can't blame them at all. Who'd do all that work for 2-3 bucks?

What may cost is shipping within Japan when you don't reach the minimum purchase sum.

FromJapan offers a 10% discount on Rakuten purchases every tuesday and wednesday. Not bad. Besides they have an excellent search engine.

Thank You for your help...I'll check eBay or Rakuten...

It is a beautiful color...50:50 for business use...100 on journaling.

Regards,

David

Great job showing off the ink! Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Square Bottle...50 ml....$36 with free shipping...aprox 3 week delivery

How does this compare with Kobe Ginza Gold Sepia....

white-lotus...I think you once did a review on Maruzen Athena Sepia...how do you like it and can it be used in a professional setting...$36 for 50 ml...free shipping...will this stain a MB ink window?