Black Ink Of Wetness In Between Waterman Black And Aurora Black

3nding

Hi everyone!

I have a pen that writes too wet with Aurora Black and too dry with Waterman Black, so I am looking for an ink whose wetness is somewhere in between, although a bit closer to Aurora Black in terms of wetness. Also, if it is a really dark black that's a plus!

Thank you all very much in advance! :D

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• 3nding

• Carrau

• bluebellrose

Hi 3nding,

It's underrated here, but I like Lamy Black.

It's moderately wet, well behaved and reasonably dark. It's also economical and comes in a great bottle.

Furthermore, it has the elite position of being one of the few inks where I finished off the entire bottle and bought more. :D

http://youtu.be/J5NXWRI2hCc

Just my two cents. Be well. :)

- Anthony

Just to follow-up... I think J. Herbin Perle Noire may also fit your bill... if you can put up with their bottles. :)

- A.C.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi 3nding,

It's underrated here, but I like Lamy Black.

It's moderately wet, well behaved and reasonably dark. It's also economical and comes in a great bottle.

Furthermore, it has the elite position of being one of the few inks where I finished off the entire bottle and bought more. :D

http://youtu.be/J5NXWRI2hCc

Just my two cents. Be well. :)

- Anthony

Just to follow-up... I think J. Herbin Perle Noire may also fit your bill... if you can put up with their bottles. :)

- A.C.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for the responses, it's greatly appreciated :)

Between Perle Noire (which I would transfer into an old Skrip bottle with an inkwell hehe) and Lamy Black, which one would you say is closest to the "fluidity (or lubrication)" of Aurora Black? Is there one of the two that performs better on cheap paper or feathers less than the other?

Have a good evening! :D

3nding

Edited by 3nding

Hi 3,

Thank you for wishing me a good evening... I can almost hear Hitchcock now. :D

I'm not sure off of the top of my head, but I'll tell you what I can do... I have all three... Aurora, Lamy and J. Herbin... I can load Safari's or Jinhao's with all three and let you know.

One thing I can tell you, if Waterman is too dry; then so will be Mont Blanc Mystery Black, Kaweco black and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black.

If Aurora is too wet, then Monteverde and Quink black's probably will be too wet, too,... IIRC.

As you can see... I have quite a few black inks. :D.

As a general rule, I love and prefer color... but black does make an emphatic statement in some business settings and I have found it does serve particular niches quite well.

BTW, I have garbage notebook paper here from Wal-Mart on hand, so I'll use that. I'll get back to you tomorrow evening. :)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi 3,

:) :D

I'm not sure off of the top of my head, but I'll tell you what I can do... I have all three... Aurora, Lamy and J. Herbin... I can load Safari's or Jinhao's with all three and let you know.

One thing I can tell you, if Waterman is too dry; then so will be Mont Blanc Mystery Black, Kaweco black and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black.

If Aurora is too wet, then Monteverde and Quink black's probably will be too wet, too,... IIRC.

As a general rule, I love and prefer color... but black does make an emphatic statement in some business settings and I have found it does serve particular niches quite well.

BTW, I have garbage notebook paper here from Wal-Mart on hand, so I'll use that. I'll get back to you tomorrow evening. :)

- Anthony

Wow that's a great idea! Thank you so much Anthony for being so generous and taking the time to do this. It is greatly appreciated and really made my day :D :D

I can't wait to see the results!

Hope you're having a good day and once again a good evening!

Edited by 3nding

Hi 3,

I'm sorry, I couldn't get to it this evening... I had unexpected company and she stayed a while... but I will get it done for you tomorrow... even if I have to take my phone off the hook and hang a "quarantined" sign on the door. :D

Here's my scheme... which I'll finish tomorrow... I'm loading six Safaris with the following black inks:

Aurora - too wet

Quink

Lamy

J. Herbin

Monteverde

Waterman - too dry

If Aurora is too wet and Waterman is too dry, I want to see how the other inks fall into place, but to do that, I'll also have to fill up with Aurora and WM so I can see how they compare and contrast.

I'll hopefully let you know tomorrow evening; including writing samples on three different papers. That should get you your answer... and hopefully others will benefit as well. :)

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Post deleted by yours truly. :)

Will re-post later; not satisfied with samples.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Monteverde Black has been kind to me-just right in terms of color and wetness. Pilot Iroshizuku Take Sumi is another possibility.

Post deleted by yours truly. :)

See below.

- A.C.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold, thanks for conducting this test! :thumbup:

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Perle noir is basically a well-described, absolutely perfect description of what you're looking for.

That said, Lamy black is in that amazing bottle and very well priced.

I don't know why I don't like lamy inks very much apart from turquoise. Maybe I just don't love blacks. I only ever seem to use noodlers dark matter, which might be the wettest black on earth.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hello 3nding, et al,

My apologies for yesterday... it was a bad day at Blackrock. :) However, I promised you pics and I'm a man of my word; so here you are. I just hope they are of some use to you; despite my sub-par photography skills. :(

After all the testing; I think Lamy Black is probably your best bet. :)

Disclaimer: ALL inks were run through Lamy Al-Star's/Safari's with medium nibs with the exceptions of the Monteverde ink which is in std. int'l. cartridges and the Lamy ink, which was already loaded in my L2K. That said, I've used Lamy black in many other pens with equivalent, favorable results. :)

As far as the inks that were tested, but not illustrated... don't ask... yesterday was was a great day. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold, thanks for conducting this test! :thumbup:

You're welcome, OCArt; thank you. :)

- Anthony

Post deleted by yours truly. Redundant. :)

- A.C.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Try Diamine. Across their inks, Diamine tends to be as reliable as Waterman and Quink, and usually "wet enough".

I don't use black anymore, but my favorite dark-dark blue is Diamine Oxford Blue and Diamine Midnight Blue.

How about a classic? check EBay for Sheaffer Skrip Permanent Black or Washable Black, in the blue-and-yellow "topwell" bottle.. I used them from 1960 - 1968...always god. For extra pleasure points, look for a bottle with Sheaffer's UC-235 (?), the secret ingredient that survives almost anything. Seems to have shown up under ultra-violet light.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Hi 3,

I'm sorry, I couldn't get to it this evening... I had unexpected company and she stayed a while... but I will get it done for you tomorrow... even if I have to take my phone off the hook and hang a "quarantined" sign on the door. :D

Here's my scheme... which I'll finish tomorrow... I'm loading six Safaris with the following black inks:

Aurora - too wet

Quink

Lamy

J. Herbin

Monteverde

Waterman - too dry

If Aurora is too wet and Waterman is too dry, I want to see how the other inks fall into place, but to do that, I'll also have to fill up with Aurora and WM so I can see how they compare and contrast.

I'll hopefully let you know tomorrow evening; including writing samples on three different papers. That should get you your answer... and hopefully others will benefit as well. :)

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Hello 3nding, et al,

My apologies for yesterday... it was a bad day at Blackrock. :) However, I promised you pics and I'm a man of my word; so here you are. I just hope they are of some use to you; despite my sub-par photography skills. :(

After all the testing; I think Lamy Black is probably your best bet. :)

Disclaimer: ALL inks were run through Lamy Al-Star's/Safari's with medium nibs with the exceptions of the Monteverde ink which is in std. int'l. cartridges and the Lamy ink, which was already loaded in my L2K. That said, I've used Lamy black in many other pens with equivalent, favorable results. :)

As far as the inks that were tested, but not illustrated... don't ask... yesterday was was a great day. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for taking the time to run these tests and doing them so thoroughly! The results are very interesting indeed. Don't worry about not being able to do them on Tuesday. I hope the company was fun if she stayed late. :) I was going through a period of intense studying for the midterms myself so I couldn't back to you until today. You were absolutely right about Lamy Black, it seems excellent (you were also quite right about Perle Noire in fact). Definitely will be ordering a bottle as soon as I finish this post.

Hope today was a good day at Blackrock! ;)

Have a good evening,

3nding

Monteverde Black has been kind to me-just right in terms of color and wetness. Pilot Iroshizuku Take Sumi is another possibility.

I added those to my wishlist, I will definitely be doing a follow up of my inksplorations into the world of black.

Perle noir is basically a well-described, absolutely perfect description of what you're looking for.

That said, Lamy black is in that amazing bottle and very well priced.

I don't know why I don't like lamy inks very much apart from turquoise. Maybe I just don't love blacks. I only ever seem to use noodlers dark matter, which might be the wettest black on earth.

The small 10ml sampler is in my cart alongside a bottle of Lamy Black following Anthony's testing and your suggestion.

Try Diamine. Across their inks, Diamine tends to be as reliable as Waterman and Quink, and usually "wet enough".

I don't use black anymore, but my favorite dark-dark blue is Diamine Oxford Blue and Diamine Midnight Blue.

How about a classic? check EBay for Sheaffer Skrip Permanent Black or Washable Black, in the blue-and-yellow "topwell" bottle.. I used them from 1960 - 1968...always god. For extra pleasure points, look for a bottle with Sheaffer's UC-235 (?), the secret ingredient that survives almost anything. Seems to have shown up under ultra-violet light.

I am surprised at the mention of Sheaffer Skrip as I was under the impression that it was drier than average. I definitely love those old Skrip bottles though. Can't get enough of those.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for taking the time to run these tests and doing them so thoroughly! The results are very interesting indeed.

Hi 3nding,

No problem, I'm glad I was able to help you out.

Don't worry about not being able to do them on Tuesday. I hope the company was fun if she stayed late. :) I was going through a period of intense studying for the midterms myself so I couldn't back to you until today.

Thanks for asking... yes, we had a nice time; just unexpected... women like to catch you off-guard. :D.

I hope you did well with your mid-terms.

You were absolutely right about Lamy Black, it seems excellent (you were also quite right about Perle Noire in fact). Definitely will be ordering a bottle as soon as I finish this post.

Excellent. You won't regret it. :thumbup:

Hope today was a good day at Blackrock! ;)

Have a good evening,

3nding

Thank you, again; yes, much better. Have a good evening, yourself. :)

- Anthony

• 9 months later...

Hi 3,

- Anthony

On the other hand if you have a bottle of Quink Black you hate because it's not black enough, it would be a perfect fit for said pen.if Aurora black is too wet for it lol. I discovered that Quink Black can go on really black but only if you have a wet enough pen. If it's a gusher then if you have quink black you hate because it's too grey then the gusher will make it black.

Discovered it by accident with a cart filled with parker quink not seated properly in a wing sung pen.