• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• virgilio

• MercianScribe

• ParkerDuofold

• bgwriter

This thread makes want to ink up all my pens to see lol ...

I'd have to say, My Sheaffer Targa 14K Med and my Pelikan M205 Fine

My smoothest right now is a Rotring 600 with a medium nib. My Sheaffer VFM in F is also very smooth, but it's not inked up at the moment so I can't compare the two.

Most of my pens have F or EF nibs, so it might not be a completely fair comparison.

The 14K nibs on my Sheaffer Targa(medium) and Imperial(fine) are the smoothest nibs i have ever used. They can become annoying during use because i can`t feel the paper underneath, they just glide !

I am also impressed by the Waterman Carene(fine and medium), they have really enjoyable nibs, despite their other flaws. They provide just a bit of feedback, unlike the Sheaffers.

A number of chinese pens have very smooth nibs, however they tend to vary from pen to pen, therefore they get mixed reviews.

I am not discussing any pens that have modified/altered nibs, since you cannot recommend something that is not available to purchase by others.

It`s like saying my pizza is the best in the world, but only i get to enjoy it `cause i don`t cook for others :rolleyes:

Edited by rochester21

Either my visconti homo sapiens with 1.3 stub or Montblanc 149 BB

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

My smoothest could be my old Esterbrook, with a 2668 nib. A close second it my Waterman Phillias, Actually I am not a huge fan of extremely smooth nibs. I like more "feed back" than many give.

I'm less enamored than ever with smooth nibs. The smoothest of mine would be my Waterman Phileas's followed by an old Pilot Knight nib doing Pilot Metro duty and which in turn would be followed by my Edison nibs.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a smoothest pen in my collection, all of my pens run from very to extra smooth

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

So far it has been my Platinum 3776 Broad. That thing glides every so effortlessly over the paper with just a smidgeon of feedback to let you know that the nib is on paper.

Since my collection is so vast ;) ...(3 Parker 51's and 1 Esterbrook Series J circa 1940's with a 2668 nib) the Esterbrook hands down. The Parkers are a bit scratchy but at some point I'll send them off one of the advertisers on FPN to take care of that problem.

"My wife will probably kill me if I drag her to another antique store looking for FP's......."

The MB 146

All my other pens feel like dragging a cement block down a gravel road.

(The 146 is my only non-flex pen)

Currently have 11 pens inked. Tried them all on the same paper (A5 Rhodia) and all are very good. From the Parker 45 Accountant (A) - which is at least partly due to a wet ink, to the 45 with a pretty broad nib (and KWZI Iron Gall Turquoise) to the broads and stubs.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

...The X/F runs like a Jaguar...

I'm sorry to hear to hear this... I wish you better luck next time.

- Anthony

P.S.: Its just a joke... I couldn't resist. :D

Smoothest has to be a MB with a broad nib. I don't know the model but it is a tiny pen and only takes cartridges I believe. But it has issues - no cap, cracked barrel, missing section ring, chipped section. Will MB repair it, I wonder? I think only the very small but smoothly broad nib is salvageable.

A Sheaffer PFM I with what I guess is a Medium Fine nib.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Hard to say ... but it is difficult to beat 1950's Pelikan nibs for me, especially their obliques. My Lamy Persona and Parker Sonnet (at least one of them, with a F nib) would end up near the top of the list as well. Sadly (because I love the design) my Sheaffer inlaid nibs would end lower.

• 2 weeks later...

I work on almost all of my nibs, so I can't really say which would be the smoothest.

Smoothest from the factory is easy - my Pilot Seremo M. My Dolcevita Oro was a close second.

My Waterman Lady Elsa has a very smooth (if not especially flexy) Fine nib. A surprisingly pleasant writer, considering what a flex snob I am.