Which Ink To Use?

DrJohn

I didn't use my fountain pens for 3 days. They are stored vertically with the clip up. I know some people store them horizontally, which is probably better.

The Montblanc didn't write. I had to squeeze the cartridge to get it to write. The same for my Sailor and Lamy pens.

The Waterman Hemisphere and Cross Century II wrote perfectly without doing anything to them.

I've been using the manufacturers inks, Cross ink in Cross pens, Waterman ink in Waterman pens, etc.

I also prefer cartridges because it is expensive to replace white shirts.

What are your opinions on what ink to use?

John

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• DrJohn

• deepak23

• NinthSphere

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Fountain pen ink is ok. Some combinations may not work (one of my P51s when filled with Sailor Murai had ink dripping out, but works perfectly with Pel 4001 Turquoise). Such aberrations apart, any ink would work.

And yes you are right, if stored horizontally would dry out much slower. Recent experience, all of my pens (P51, L2K, Pl3376, 1911, couple of handmade ebonites, CH912FA) with the exception of a Wality 71J with BSB started up after 8 days of idleness

(I store pens horizontally in a box. So there is very little scope for evaporation there.)

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...

Depends on what the pens like. I use mostly Iro & Noodler's with my lot. Pelikan, KWZI, J Herbin, Private Reserve, & Diamine get used to a lesser extent.

I've never had a Montblanc but that seems odd, I'd expect it to have no problems, like my Pelikan M600/M400, Waterman le Man 100, Sailor Pro Gear, while I wouldn't expect my cheaper Lamy Vistas, Mujis, Platinum Cools, and particularly Parker Sonnets to have evaporated and have problems; irrespective of the ink, beyond wild colour changes for blue greens.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hello Dr. John,

I've had drying out issues with Jinhao's after 3 days, but never with the brands you mention.

When was the last time you flushed them out... perhaps dirty feeds are the cause of your trouble? :unsure:

- Anthony

Nowadays, I test every pen I get for drying out. I write with it for a day, then I store it nib-up and don't touch it for a week. After that I pick it up, uncap it while keeping it nib-up, then flip it over and immediately try to write. If it writes without too much fuss, then I'll probably keep using it. Otherwise I'll use up the ink inside as quickly as possible then wash it and put it away.

Some pens need a lot of effort to get writing again (twisting the converter to push ink into the feed, dipping in a bit of water, etc). Some start writing after a stroke or two, or possibly after shaking a couple of times. A few write perfectly from the moment the nib touches the paper. In my experience even pens from the same company can perform very differently, making it hard to predict before buying a pen how resistant it will be to drying out.

Some Platinum pens (Preppy, Plaisir, 3776 Century) have special inner caps that are designed to prevent drying out, those are probably your best bet if you're looking to buy a reliable pen.

Three days for all those pens with those name inks is a bit to short a time for a dry out.

I often have 17 pens inked so don't get back to them.... I have an old postal sponge in a rubber cap, to dip my pens in if they are dry....a shot glass with a dab of water also works.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Everyone else is giving good advice.

A pen that doesn't write after 3 days is a pen that's not working right. Try a different ink. If that doesn't help, you need to send your pen to a nibmeister or learn how to diagnose nib issues yourself. I suspect baby's bottom could be an issue with yours - don't worry, it's an easy fix! :)

Fyi, fountain pen ink washes out of clothes very easily (speaking from experience - I mix ink a lot and stuff gets spilled sometimes). Just wash like normal. The only exception is with ink that's meant to be permanent (Noodler's Bulletproof, iron gall, pigment, De Atrementis Document).

Also - cartridges aren't any less prone to leaking. Leaks are mostly caused by bad cap design, and sometimes it's a feed issue. Never filling system (except for eyedroppers). Filling the pen with a converter would be cheaper, still wouldn't leak, give you access to more color choices (which might fix that drying-up problem), and it's much better for that environment.

I suggest a bottle of Waterman ink if you want blue, or Aurora if you want black. Waterman black ink is good too, though. :)

Everyone else is giving good advice.

A pen that doesn't write after 3 days is a pen that's not working right. Try a different ink. If that doesn't help, you need to send your pen to a nibmeister or learn how to diagnose nib issues yourself. I suspect baby's bottom could be an issue with yours - don't worry, it's an easy fix! :)

Fyi, fountain pen ink washes out of clothes very easily (speaking from experience - I mix ink a lot and stuff gets spilled sometimes). Just wash like normal. The only exception is with ink that's meant to be permanent (Noodler's Bulletproof, iron gall, pigment, De Atrementis Document).

Also - cartridges aren't any less prone to leaking. Leaks are mostly caused by bad cap design, and sometimes it's a feed issue. Never filling system (except for eyedroppers). Filling the pen with a converter would be cheaper, still wouldn't leak, give you access to more color choices (which might fix that drying-up problem), and it's much better for that environment.

I suggest a bottle of Waterman ink if you want blue, or Aurora if you want black. Waterman black ink is good too, though. :)

I wasn't referring to leaking. I was referring to me splashing or dripping the ink from the bottle onto my shirt. I'm usually in a rush. So, cartridges are quick and easy without any fuss or mess.

The Cross Century II worked fine after 3 days and it is the smoothest pen I have. I love that pen even though it was so inexpensive ($130). I will probably use it more than any of the others. Although I do have a Visconti on order. The Sailor was purchased from a nibeister (nibs.com) new only a few weeks ago. I was tested and optimized.

John

Edited by DrJohn

Three days for all those pens with those name inks is a bit to short a time for a dry out.

I often have 17 pens inked so don't get back to them.... I have an old postal sponge in a rubber cap, to dip my pens in if they are dry....a shot glass with a dab of water also works.

+1. (I use an old Sheaffer Skrip bottle with the built-in inkwell... or water well in this case. ;)).

- A.C.