The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Swapping Nibs (And Feeds) Between Pilot Custom 74 & 91

pilot custom 74 pilot custom heritage 91

2 replies to this topic

#1 2or3things

2or3things

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 19:34

Hello all,

I decided to swap the Medium nib from Custom 74 & the Fine-medium (FM) nib from Custom Heritage 91. This has been discussed at length before, as many Pilot models use the same size #5 gold nibs. My question is whether the feeds should stay with their original grip sections or go with the original nibs.

I understand that in theory the feeds should be identical (and they do look identical), but they do feel a little different when mated to the other nibs & grip sections. Is it possible to generalize on what would be the best approach? Are feeds & grip sections individually mated or are feeds and nibs or does it all depend?

Thank you

Sponsored Content

#2 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 21:12

I don't think it really matters. I have swapped between Pilot 74,91,92. Actually if you want you can just moved the section between the 74 and 91. Those two pens are a bit mix and match. The 92 is piston filling and I think when I moved the nib from my 91 to my 92 I kept the feeds paired to the nib but not sure. I might have just moved the gold nib.

Try it and if you develop a leak in the section then do it the other way keeping the feed mated to the section. 

#3 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 21:30

Hello all,

I decided to swap the Medium nib from Custom 74 & the Fine-medium (FM) nib from Custom Heritage 91. This has been discussed at length before, as many Pilot models use the same size #5 gold nibs. My question is whether the feeds should stay with their original grip sections or go with the original nibs.

I understand that in theory the feeds should be identical (and they do look identical), but they do feel a little different when mated to the other nibs & grip sections. Is it possible to generalize on what would be the best approach? Are feeds & grip sections individually mated or are feeds and nibs or does it all depend?

Thank you

It doesn't matter, the nibs and feeds are 100% identical besides the plating on the nib.

Edited by jekostas, 20 October 2017 - 21:32.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot custom 74, pilot custom heritage 91

Sponsored Content

|