The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Why Buy Italian At All?

martmeodena delta and aurora and visconti?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 rogerico

rogerico

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:10

Because Aurora is an Italian brand... The 88 is an Italian pen. Thats why.
Roger

Sponsored Content

#42 EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 16:36

Why buy Italian at all?  Probably because they make some of the most beautiful pens in the world...

#43 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 20:57

Because Aurora is an Italian brand... The 88 is an Italian pen. Thats why.

My enamor with the italian pen mystique is rapidly waning.....after my 88's plastic end cap rod snapped off with normal use

#44 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 21:12

Just because :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=pKjP6w0r6Cg

#45 rogerico

rogerico

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:05

Well, I had the same problem and I had to send my pen to Italy. Now it has finally arrived and I am glad because they did a big job. They fixed the issue and adjusted the job and the ink flow. Now its not only a beauty but I perfect writer.

Yes, its annoying to have this kind of problems, but Ive written with fountain pens for 35 years and I know theres not a perfect pen or an indestructible one. All of them can have issues.
Thats my experience.

My enamor with the italian pen mystique is rapidly waning.....after my 88's plastic end cap rod snapped off with normal use

Roger

#46 CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:27

I've read numerous times on this forum that Italian pens are problematic.  I haven't had a problem with my Italian pens other than an Omas 360 needing a tune-up.  My Viscontis and Montegrappas have written perfectly out of the box.  When Omas was still in business they exchanged the broad nib on my bibliotheque nationale for a fine at no charge.  Last week, Visconti sent my Medici oversize fountain pen back with a new cap in less than a week.  I had dropped the pen and broke the cap.  It was completely my fault and I was prepared to pay.  Aside from my good luck, I have been most impressed with the colors, design, and style of all of the Italian brands.

#47 Ink_Chick

Ink_Chick

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:18

Quality of nibs, celluloid, details even though with some firms quality control can be problematic and erratic but once you go through a specialized dealer who knows how to deal with these issues and who insures a total back up with the factory warranty, you can be sure you will get a positive experience.

And that’s the problem I’ve run into. Although the seller was a Montegrappa “authorized dealer”, here I am getting ready to send my pen to a 3rd party, and paying for that privilege. Ugh. If I had a dime for every seller who says “I’m an authorized Xxx dealer”...

#48 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 13:17

I found at least with Visconti, their QC was off, with many overlooked details, even for an 800$ pen. Unlike Japanese or German pens that as a corporate culture strive to achieve perfection through attention to the details and crisp delivery, other companies seem to be lacking.

It will be a sad day when I have to buy another Italian pen based on style, only to have it spend 3 months in transit to and from the factory and nibmeister, just because it was never 100% correct to begin with leaving the factory.

#49 Fierophreak

Fierophreak

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 23:25

Because you get pens that looks like this.

eVSMZ3Y.jpg

and this

MpwyGR9.jpg

These two pens are my absolute favorite looking new pens over the last couple of years. 

#50 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:17

Italian pens love me.  :D  Never had a problem with my Viscontis, Omas, Signum, Aurora and Delta.  Either I'm lucky or the QC problem isn't as big as it sometimes appears on this site...

Erick

Some of us don't have such a good memory for what they've posted on FPN. Or the same understanding of the word "problem" as I have.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/328183-pelikan-m200-or-aurora-duo-cart/ 

In the above thread, Erick reports that his Aurora Duo Cart leaked rather badly with one ink and has since continued to leak, though less often, with other inks.

That is my idea of a big problem with Aurora. None of my fountain pens, including my Aurora Hastil and my Aurora 88 Piccola, has ever leaked repeatedly. (I have only 40, I admit.) A pen that leaks and goes on leaking, and the distribution chain doesn't leap in to solve the problem forthwith, strikes me as a bad model, though not an entirely bad manufacturer or a bad nation.

#51 pchand2

pchand2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:38

I have been using 4 visconti pens as my daily writers. I prefer them over M800, Pilot 823, Sailor KOP or any other pens in my collection. The material, the feel, the look, the wrting, the filling mechanism in total provide me better experience than any other pen in my collection. I say, buy Italian :-)

Kz5TS8C.jpg

PgIGCV2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martmeodena, delta, and aurora and visconti?

Sponsored Content

|