The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Why Buy Italian At All?

martmeodena delta and aurora and visconti?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OneRiotOneRanger

OneRiotOneRanger

Emmie, the angel puppy, lives here

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 14:30

Like others, I have had difficult experiences with Martmeodena, which I have previously chronicled. When they were just selling Delta pens, I found them to be as attractive as ever, but of less than perfect quality. I am not aware of any involvement by Aurora, and, as to Visconti, their customer issues stand on their own. If Martmodena has compounded their problems, yet another reason to avoid these people.

I have long admired the beauty of many Italian pen makers and am certain that most manufacturers and dealers are completely reputable. There are, it seems, some who are not.

My reaction has been to avoid Martemodena, Delta and Visconti completely. It is ironic, because, some while back, I wrote a very favorable article about Visconti. Issues with things like getting the desired nib drove me, first, to email Dante del Vecchio - whose reaction was why was I bothering him. Then, I sold off my Viscontis, save one very early ballpoint. BTW, Signor del Vecchio is now designing  another line (too?) - see the Fahrney's catalogue. I have also sold all my Deltas, save one ballpoint.

My reactions reflect my mistrust, and I would not suggest that anyone copy them. I would strongly suggest, however, that before making any purchases from these people that you are securely backstopped so that you can withdraw easily and quickly.

Fultz used to wish us "good hunting." Especially true here, I think.

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 16:24

There are many other Italian makers, Aurora, Montegrappa, Grifos, Ferrari da Varese.  MarteModena always seemed to be the outlet mall of Italian Pens, the place that bargain hunters frequented.

Buy the vendor even before the product.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 Cordovian

Cordovian

Oh, shiny.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 17:03

Italian pens...they're like Italian cars. They're beautiful and you love the feel of them but sometimes they're hard to get going. But when they do get going...  :wub:    

#4 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 18:58

This is like condemning all US pens because you had many problems with company XXX, trashing the German pen makers because you were dissatisfied by the products of manufacturer YYY, or claiming general poor QC for all Japanese pens because you encountered several QC issues with the brand ZZZ. Is this the kind of generalization you try to make here?

#5 Shaggy

Shaggy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 19:16

Why buy Italian?

Because sexy. 

#6 katanankes

katanankes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 19:23

I am so sorry to hear your negative experience spanning the all supply chain. 

#7 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2017 - 13:02

Italian pens...they're like Italian cars. They're beautiful and you love the feel of them but sometimes they're hard to get going. But when they do get going...  :wub:

Same opinion for Chrysler.... ?
I agree with your opinion for the italian cars produced 20 years ago, but not for the a actual production.

#8 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2017 - 19:02

Why Italian?

Because they offer some really unique pens. Sometimes I doubt that they are worth the hassle - one of my OMAS took two years, one trip to the factory, two trips to repairmen and two trips to different nib meisters to work like he was supposed to. But all in all, all of my italian pens are real beauties, without exception.

Greetings,
Michael

#9 Tinjapan

Tinjapan

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:45

I held off from buying Italian pens becuase of their prices. They are generally much more expensive than the pens I can get easily in Japan, Japanese pens. Still, they interested me. When word of Omas’s demise reached me, I went on an Omas buying spree that spilled overvto other Italian brands, mainly Delta and Visconti. Pens of these three brands are the pens that I usually reach for now. Each write surperbly.

#10 ingolf

ingolf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:14

Italian pens are the "dolce vita" among my pens (unfortunately the Delta DolceVita is still missing).

My Stipula or my several Delta pens are beautiful and working very well.

To my opinion a pen is a very personal tool. You hold it in your fingers, you feel the surface, you get a haptic feedback and you see the results at once. 

Unfortunately some of the Italian manufacturers are gone ... to me a great loss.

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

#11 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 18:52

I had a conversation with a friend of mine a couple of months ago.  And she absolutely LOVES her Visconti pens. 

I'll admit that the only ones that I like the look of for that brand are the Van Gogh series.  But I got to try one a couple of months ago and it was too heavy a pen for me, even being as slim as it was.

Have pretty much zero experience with any of the other brands.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#12 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 20:10

I've had troubles with both of my Delta pens and the worst one was the dolce vita from marten Modena. The ink window developed a leak and then finally cracked an half.

#13 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 20:43

Same reason I've owned an alfa romeo...

#14 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 21:03

And that would be which one?

I simply enjoy the wonderful designs and artisan craftsmanship. If things are not put together by robots on an assembly line but by real craftsmen, some imperfections might be expected. Of course, QC should take care of that...

#15 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 21:15

and if your Alfa was of a certain vintage, the pens have the advantage of less rust. :)

Nearly all of my Italian pens are Auroras, making up at least a quarter of my collection. So I think them wonderful pens of course, whether vintage, recent or modern.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#16 mauckcg

mauckcg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 21:18

Visconti has some beautiful pens that write wonderfully.  When you can get one that works.

I've moved away from them to Omas though they are kinda hard to come by.  Beautiful pens and they are great writers.

#17 RocketRyan

RocketRyan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 21:45

It was a 156, v6 with a slick 6 speed manual. The fly by wire throttle response was wonderful. The only car I wish I still owned. I was recently toying with the idea of a 159 with the 3.2 v6, not sure when I could actually find the time to drive it though.

#18 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 954 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 22:08

Funny, I was curious about the reason rather than the car. I should have put it more precisely.:)

#19 Ed_Usinowicz

Ed_Usinowicz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 23:20

and if your Alfa was of a certain vintage, the pens have the advantage of less rust. :)

Nearly all of my Italian pens are Auroras, making up at least a quarter of my collection. So I think them wonderful pens of course, whether vintage, recent or modern.

I had a 1975 Alfa Alfetta and it rusted in all the correct places. I believe the car actually hated me. I bought new and still currently own Italian motorcycles, a Ducati  and a Moto Guzzi both now considered vintage. These motorcycles were produced when the the bikes were still relatively hand made. They perform flawlessly. If you want a motorcycle for a twisty mountain road, Italian is the only way to go. Now I favor fountain pens and I have a lust for Aurora both new and vintage. Will it never end?  

#20 OneRiotOneRanger

OneRiotOneRanger

Emmie, the angel puppy, lives here

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 22:01

Getting away from cars - although a neighbor, a long-time car guy, was working on one of his the other evening, explaining that the dealer service department didn't do very good work - if the issue is the beauty of Italian products vs their utility, I repeat that they are beautiful. Ease of operation, not so much. [Reminds me of my first two wives. The current keeper is an example of what happens if you kiss enough frogs].

I concur, without reservation, that there are many Italian makers whose products are superb, on all counts. Many Italian sellers are completely reputable and easy to do business with. And there are those to be avoided, regardless of nationality. Very much the minority, but we should pay attention to who they are is all I was trying to say. And Martemodena is among the most egregious. I was going to say arrogant, but that word comes to mind too often there.

If my "heads up" generates all kinds of comments about how smart some of us are (and aren't), or how many pen problems equal one car problem, or whether pizza is better than sushi, I'll just give my index fingers a rest ....

Paul 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martmeodena, delta, and aurora and visconti?

Sponsored Content

|