The Most Bought Pelikan

Waltz For Zizi

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which you think is the most bought Pelikan pen?

• M400 white tortoise
    • M40 brown tortoise
    • M800 brown tortoise
    • Another, specify

I want to start a poll, regarding the most bought Pelikan pen. In my opinion there are two models competing for the no.1 spot:M400 white tortoise, and a brown tortoise (m800 or m400). Browsing instagram for pelikanm400, I found at least a third of the pictures with the white tortoise, that's why my vote goes to it. If you have another pen in mind, please contribute.

Edited by Waltz For Zizi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• Nyanzilla

• Waltz For Zizi

• Mulrich

I can't imagine a special or limited edition will be the most purchased pen because by definition they aren't available for very long. If you're really trying to get at the most sought after Pelikan pen or the most bought special edition this list may by okay. And are you talking about recent sales history or all time? Some older models go way back to when fountain pens were much more popular than today.

Otherwise I'm betting the best selling Pelikan pen over the past few years will be one of their cheaper regular edition models, like the Pelikano, Stola, or Twist. If you're looking at the Souveran series I'd bet on the cheapest model, the M200.

I can't imagine a special or limited edition will be the most purchased pen because by definition they aren't available for very long. If you're really trying to get at the most sought after Pelikan pen or the most bought special edition this list may by okay. And are you talking about recent sales history or all time? Some older models go way back to when fountain pens were much more popular than today.

Otherwise I'm betting the best selling Pelikan pen over the past few years will be one of their cheaper regular edition models, like the Pelikano, Stola, or Twist. If you're looking at the Souveran series I'd bet on the cheapest model, the M200.

You are right. I didn't think it enough. I meant modern, after 2000, and Souveran only, not the classic m200 range.

Interesting question and I was going to say pretty much what Mulrich just said. People that post pictures of their pens on Instagram or people here on FPN aren't the typical consumers that Pelikan sells the vast bulk of their products to. In the case of a businessman who simply sees a fountain pen as part of his "uniform" or his "toolbox", I'd say that the M600 green-stripe is probably preponderant.

For the casual hobbyist, likely the M400 Brown tortoise.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Offhand I'd think it would be the M400 Green Stripe.

I imagine in the general universe a lot of FPs are sold as gifts or for business presentation, so I could imagine one of the big boys might be a big seller - M800/M1000... again with the Green Stripe.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I'm sticking with my original belief that the cheaper pens will sell better than the more expensive ones. So if we constrain the question to after 2000, Souveran, and not M200 that leaves the M400.

It's possible the more recent M400 Tortoise is selling better at the moment but I think the pen carries a fair premium over the standard edition M400 so I still expect the basic M400 to be the top seller. Looking at a few websites that carry the range of Pelikan pens and sorting by best selling/most popular seems to confirm this.

I picked "Other" because I'm betting that more people get low end pens like Pelikanos for their kid for school.

If you're going to limit the survey to the Souveran line, yeah, kinda agree with Mister5 on the striated Green M400; certainly, when I decided I wanted a Pelikan, and started looking around at pen shows, that's what I was seeing the most of -- Striated Green. It just seems to be the quintessential color binde.

​And yes, I have one that color -- a vintage 400 with an OB nib, but it's not my favorite bird; I think my Striated Blue M405 EF is the prettiest, and the older model M400 Brown Tortoise has the best nib -- a juicy and springy F; the "classiest looker" is the M405 Streseman, B nib; the best deal was on the M200 Green Marble, M nib (gift from a friend, who found it on Freecycle), and the pen that is best with "difficult" inks (like shimmer inks) is the M100, 1 mm stub.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The simple black finish are probably the most purchased over the years. Blue stripes are my favorites but I do have the M800 and M400 Brown Tortoise pens.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I think you have to look at it as two separate categories. There are the standard edition Souveräns available year round and in unlimited quantities. Then there are the limited quantity special edition releases. I would say something from the standard line-up would be most bought. You likely see a disproportionate number of special edition releases displayed online because, well, theyre special.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

+1 for green M400. I have a few - it's the Volkswagen Golf of the lineup.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The M400 green stripe seems to be the most common one I see offered for resale. I got tired of the green strips and bought a blue one from a member's classified.

Frankly, the modern M200 demonstrators are more fascinating.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Most likely the Pelikano - it's a school pen that's being sold for decades in different iterations. If I remember correctly it's been running for least 20 years longer than the M series.

Greetings,

Michael

Among the Souveran series a M400 of some sort. M2xx even more and because it's a school pen the Pelikano probablysells the most overall.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi,

As I reckon this Topic has a 'fun factor' I clicked the WhtT option. (OoohLaLa)

I am the custodian of an M400 WhtT, two Yellow M200's, an exquisite GrnBk striated M400 plus the cuddle buddy M640 Safari, let alone the cartridge-filler P99s that are back-ups to the rotring 600 when in the field.

Pelikan? Impossible to rank - let's just write till dawn.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Most likely the Pelikano - it's a school pen that's being sold for decades in different iterations. If I remember correctly it's been running for least 20 years longer than the M series.

Yup! The school pens have a great advantage over the super expensive pens - they are cheap, and many students buy them. Back in the 60s and 70s, there were not that many brands to choose from, and it basically came down to Pelikan and Geha. You had millions of students, and most of them writing with a Pelikano. I can't imagine how the M400 could possibly catch up.

The black M600 gets my vote. Intermediate size fits everyone, and I view the black pen in the same category as the proverbial "little black dress," everyone should have one in their pocket!

Same. As a former student during the '80 and '90, I used at school, and then collected, at least 30 pelikanos, older and newer models (and three gehas, sadly now unused). Recently I've bought two m6xx, two m4xx (one white tortoise, me too) and six m2xx. But pelikanos are like, my personal history 😊

If I have to exclude the others and vote the most bought Souverän of the last decades, then the green striped one. Of the last years, the white tortoise. But my heart goes to pelikanos 😊

Chiara

Edited to add content.

Edited by chravagni