The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Flexibility, Size/weight And Calligraphy

flex size weight noodle copperplate roundhand spencerian vintage flexibility

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:08

I just ordered a Jinhao X450 with a Zebra G nib. Cost all of £12 including postage :-)

Sponsored Content

#42 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 13:51

So, it arrived today 

fpn_1525096232__thumbnail_1.jpg

#43 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 14:08

Nice writing!

How does such a heavy pen feel for such intricate writing?

I have small hands, so the X750 gives me cramps when I have a long writing session and need to write quickly.

I'm wondering if the extra size and weight may help control the pen for flex writing.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#44 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 14:52

Compared to a Parsons pen this is light! I don't think it is heavy at all. 

For long writing sessions, especially if writing quickly I would rather use a standard pen with a standard nib. This sort of pen may just complicate things. Having said that, Jake Weidmann seems to have done okay when he was taking notes at lectures!  :-) but then again, he is a special sort of fella eh!

The nib on this does just glide along, which is what I have found with most Chinese pens. 
I know that my Manuscript italic pens are very light, in case you want to try one of those? Also, very low in price, which is always good!

#45 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2018 - 22:54

Just an update on my search for the "perfect" flex nib pen. After much patience and obsessively frequent checking of Minuskin's site, I was able to snag an excellent condition Waterman 52V with a factory needlepoint flex nib. I took her for a spin today and...WOW...as long as this pen works I don't need anymore flex nibs. It truly is a wet noodle that will go from 0.3 to 2mm with only slight effort and the snapback is fantastic! :happycloud9: 

The vintage wet noodle flex may be allusive most of the time, but it does exist for those patient enough and willing to pay over $200 for a 100-year-old pen, well over $300 if it's from anyone other than Minuskin.

#46 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:39

Congratulations! My advice would go into the opposite direction, though: Do not seek a known brand necessarily, not even a gold nib, but watch out for a decent no-name pen with a flexy nib. These can be had for much less, 20-50€ sometimes.

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#47 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2018 - 16:35

Congratulations! My advice would go into the opposite direction, though: Do not seek a known brand necessarily, not even a gold nib, but watch out for a decent no-name pen with a flexy nib. These can be had for much less, 20-50€ sometimes.

I agree...there are some amazing no-name European pens from the 30-50s out there.

#48 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 17:31

Interesting Julie. What sites do you watch?

#49 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 21:14

Forums like this one. In my case it is mostly the German Forum PenExchange. Or pen shows. I also bought some pens at penboard.de.

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flex, size, weight, noodle, copperplate, roundhand, spencerian, vintage, flexibility

Sponsored Content

|